Request For Another 300,000 Tablet PCs: Thailand

webfact

Request for another 300,000 tablet PCs

SUPINDA NA MAHACHAI

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- The Cabinet will consider today a budget request for Bt800 million-Bt900 million so that 300,000 more tablet PCs can be handed out to schoolchildren.

The tablet policy management committee last week agreed to increase the distribution of tablets for the upcoming academic year from more than 600,000 units to 900,000.

As a result, all Prathom 1 (Grade 1) students under various ministries and some Prathom 4 (Grade 4) students can get a tablet.

The committee set the original budget for 700,000 tablets at Bt1.9 billion. Education Minister Suchart Thadathamrongvech said yesterday the government had told the Foreign Ministry to negotiate with China to supply the tablets under a government-to-government deal.

Olarn Chaipravat, an adviser to the prime minister, would oversee the contents and software that would be loaded on the tablets.

"The tablets need Internet access so students can search for information from the wider world. The students should be allowed to take them home.

"I've also planned a project that will give tablets to some parents so they can use them to gain more knowledge," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-01-31

The tablets need Internet access so students can search for information from the wider world

And the majority of schools probably DON'T have this as neither will the kids homes.....so of WHAT value will these tablets be to the students?

• Like 1

The tablets need Internet access so students can search for information from the wider world

And the majority of schools probably DON'T have this as neither will the kids homes.....so of WHAT value will these tablets be to the students?

Do you have any proof of this "probable" assertion? I either use the ADSL phone line at my wife's aunt's home or the WIFI network at the school when we're in town. I know I'm being anecdotal, but that's far more solid than your probabilities.

Do you have any proof of this "probable" assertion? I either use the ADSL phone line at my wife's aunt's home or the WIFI network at the school when we're in town. I know I'm being anecdotal, but that's far more solid than your probabilities.

More than 2000 schools don't have electricity.

• Like 2

How many Thai kids have access to the internet at home? How many schools currently have wifi access? Will the governments promise of free wifi eventuate before the handing out of tablets?

I love the way they shifted the burden of debt to the BOT so they could expand their available capital, thus devaluing the baht, and now they have all of these plans to spend a billion baht on cheap little toys, and now they say they have a new plan to give them to parents as well.

Maybe they should teach fiscal responsibility by setting a good example first. You don't need tablets to learn........as was posted yesterday, how will a tablet teach them to type once they get the dream job of being a secretary. I'll bet they'll look back and say "wow, that tablet really helped me."

• Like 1

Anyone know the quality of these tablets they are handing out?

What are the chances that pawn shops every where are soon over stocked with tablets?

I can see uncle Somchai pawning his newpews tablet so he has money for weekend whiskey

They will be Chinese made, but it seems they haven't actually been ordered yet, so no one knows want the quality will be like.

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Stop and think about it 2,000 schools don't have electricity. I had a phone line connection at one time it kept cutting me off. I can just imagine 30 people on one phone line. Your isolated anecdotal's are far less probable than the probabilities.

Anyone know the quality of these tablets they are handing out?

What are the chances that pawn shops every where are soon over stocked with tablets?

I can see uncle Somchai pawning his newpews tablet so he has money for weekend whiskey

They will be Chinese made, but it seems they haven't actually been ordered yet, so no one knows want the quality will be like.

Why on earth don't they admit that they dropped a <deleted> in the first place, election gimmick that was not thought through properly, Yingluck--holding up Samsung-all kids to have- impossible promise on cost, now not knowing what to download, who can have internet access, home use--what on the farm,wi/fi. Schools that do not have electricity never mind internet. This idea should be scrapped NOW

Apple's range of Ipads is Chinese made so that's not really the point.

True how ever Apple is a business that prides itself on quality and if it is not delivered they will go else where.

This deal is a Government to Government deal. That will allow a lot of room for corruption now it is two party's getting their cut before the product is delivered and neither one is depended on Quality for their reputation.

Government to Government allows for three parties to make money the corrupt Thai officials the corrupt Chinese officials and the manufacturer. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if some one wasn't getting a cut from the transportation.

I'm surprised that there has been no mention of training the teachers so that Thai schools will able to integrate the new tablets into the syallabus more effectively? I would assume therefore that the teachers are already trained and primed to take full advantage of the fantastic opportunity?

• Like 1

True how ever Apple is a business that prides itself on quality and if it is not delivered they will go else where.

This deal is a Government to Government deal. That will allow a lot of room for corruption now it is two party's getting their cut before the product is delivered and neither one is depended on Quality for their reputation.

Government to Government allows for three parties to make money the corrupt Thai officials the corrupt Chinese officials and the manufacturer. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if some one wasn't getting a cut from the transportation.

Agreed it's a risk but what youy say is just speculation.Don't also forget that Apple's Chinese production has a very poor reputation in terms of workers exploitation and bad conditions.

Who in their right mind would lay out billions of baht on a an untested project? Why isn't there a pilot scheme at some rural school to test viability and discover the likely problems? If this is a disaster, how much of the outlay could be recovered?

This is NOT about education.

• Like 1

Agreed it's a risk but what youy say is just speculation.Don't also forget that Apple's Chinese production has a very poor reputation in terms of workers exploitation and bad conditions.

And that has what to do with quality. Are you suggesting that the Tablets the government will supply are made by workers earning a good wage on a 40 hour week with health and retirement benefits.

How do you see Apple demanding quality as speculation?

Yes the corruption and graft are speculation based on hundreds of years of a way things are done with the governments involved. I think it is a pretty fair speculation.

Who in their right mind would lay out billions of baht on a an untested project? Why isn't there a pilot scheme at some rural school to test viability and discover the likely problems? If this is a disaster, how much of the outlay could be recovered?

LOL

The way this government does business they would probably pick a school with out electricity and declare the test a rousing success.

It of course would be as successful as making all the Thai's rich in six months.

The only potential bright light is Olarn,

who is reputed to actually have a brain,

is in charge of content. So maybe they can

get this partly right if the usual collection

of misfit-vested interests don't significantly

influence his choices.

Exactly, as I have said earlier a scheme that should never have been thought of in the first place. Look schools are not ready-no internet wi-fi-no teacher training-some schools no electric-repairs ???? miss-use at home, pawned, STUPID. How many big rocks have the government tripped over ?? this is an everyday re adjustment, shocking governance.

Mick - I guess it's a lot easier to layout billions when they aren't yours and you're not accountable.

Mick - I guess it's a lot easier to layout billions when they aren't yours and you're not accountable.

Easier still when there's a kick-back.

As I said last week , who is going to pay for the internet provider.

Which is why I said "so no one knows what the quality will be like" (fixed typo).

Free nation-wide WiFi is Yingluck's government plan.

Free nation-wide WiFi is Yingluck's government plan.

All we need now with Pheu Thai - the People's ATM - in charge is free food. Imagine that then - a country where you don't have to pay for anything. Subsidised fuel, free education, 30B health care, free tablet PCs, free internet, great wages for those who do work, free credit cards, subsidised water, fixed electic bills. When the debts mount up, just pass them on to the Bank of Thailand.

Great huh?