Bangkok Motorcycle Taxis Cry For Help After Being Victimized By Mafias

webfact

"Bangkok Motorcycle Taxis Cry For Help After Being Victimized By Mafias"

Chalerm mentioned

I am guessing this will mean, Motorcycle Taxis monthly payments will be going UP.

Edited by z12

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dunno, but the numbers don't add up for me. Paying 60k a month means 2,000 a day, which is 100 trips @ 20 baht before you've even started paying your petrol, which means 10 trips an hour during a 10 hour shift, or one every 6 minutes. Unlikely. It's a free world, and a question of economics, if the protection fees were unreasonable and you couldn't make a living fewer would volunteer for this work. I'm not defending the practice, I'm criticising this writer for not running the numbers through his head before blithely quoting.

Yes, your breakdown has value, and is even generous since the writer assumed no days off, no days when it rains so hard there is no demand, and no days where the bike is in for repair. I believe there is an extra Zero in this story. More like, 100-200 baht per day. 3,000 - 6,000 per month. Times 100,000 riders is still a tidy sum indeed.

We have a couple of taxi riders happy to rent a bike for B100/day while their bike is in for maintenance.

NB 200,000 per OP

And my sister in law has a wonderful recipe for sweet potato pie... you point is?

We are saying that guessing 60,000 is ten times higher than what makes sense..

What the gentleman was saying is you can't get blood from a stone.

No rider can fund 60,000 baht and continue.

So he is saying "do the math...." and he did a good job of it.

Are you suggesting that because they can rent a bike and work that day, you think a rider can pay 60,000 tea money and go on. Or do you think that perhaps a 100-200 baht "contribution" per day is closer to reality?

No, I was pointing out that taxi bike riders don't normally miss a day's work because their bike is off the road, and that you should read and comprehend a little better.

Then you may have noticed "this group has been forced to pay protection fees of up to 40,000 to 60,000 baht a month." which makes your calculations irrelevant and more than a little ridiculous.passifier.gif FYI B60,000 divided by 500 is quite affordable.

Why would Chalerm even bring up the topic? It just highlights the ineptitude of the police under the new chief, which he so vigorously pushed into office. Doesn't make much sense, this one he can't spin around and make the previous governement look bad (without actually solving the problem), or do I miss something? blink.png

You missed something - a different Chalerm.

Is there any such thing as an "official" m/c taxi queue? Or is it just a group of thugs deciding this is a good spot for customers outside your shop/business/home and tough tit if you don't like it? Is the complaint about a few riders waiting around the corner from the official queue just one mafia bitching about competition (and extortion from another mafia)?

yes, there are designated spots for the motorbike taxis, and no, they are not "thugs", but guys trying to make a living...

Designated by whom? AFAIK by themselves, and supported by some BIB on the take. I know of one "queue" at least that set up outside a friend's bar, taking up most of the parking space for his customers, and the riders have damaged vehicles parked in "their" spot.

Which IMHO makes them thugs. Shop and bar owners have an equal right to make a living TYVM.

Why would Chalerm even bring up the topic? It just highlights the ineptitude of the police under the new chief, which he so vigorously pushed into office. Doesn't make much sense, this one he can't spin around and make the previous governement look bad (without actually solving the problem), or do I miss something? blink.png

You missed something - a different Chalerm.

Is there any such thing as an "official" m/c taxi queue? Or is it just a group of thugs deciding this is a good spot for customers outside your shop/business/home and tough tit if you don't like it? Is the complaint about a few riders waiting around the corner from the official queue just one mafia bitching about competition (and extortion from another mafia)?

yes, there are designated spots for the motorbike taxis, and no, they are not "thugs", but guys trying to make a living...

Designated by whom? AFAIK by themselves, and supported by some BIB on the take. I know of one "queue" at least that set up outside a friend's bar, taking up most of the parking space for his customers, and the riders have damaged vehicles parked in "their" spot.

Which IMHO makes them thugs. Shop and bar owners have an equal right to make a living TYVM.

Your friend's situation is unfortunate for him.

Where I go in BKK, I see the MB taxis almost exclusively on street corners or on the other side of a barricade where there is no parking / traffic.

Which IMHO doesn't make them all "thugs". MB taxi drivers provide a valuable service and have a right to earn a living too, TYVM

Your friend's situation is unfortunate for him.

Where I go in BKK, I see the MB taxis almost exclusively on street corners or on the other side of a barricade where there is no parking / traffic.

Which IMHO doesn't make them all "thugs". MB taxi drivers provide a valuable service and have a right to earn a living too, TYVM

Which comprehensively fails to answer the question of who designates the area? Nobody has a right to earn a living by occupying an area for which they have no entitlement and thereby depriving somebody else of their living - irrespective of the valuable public service that they provide.

mafia = red shirts... funny that this is not actually mentioned in the article.

Extraordinary statement. Would you think that someone like Suthep Thaugsuban (former Democrat Deputy PM) could be classed as a Mafia figure, if you want an obvious example? Or Newin Chidchop, the power broker who got them into government...? Ask a random selection of Thais for an answer...

If you read http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2008/12/13/thai-mafia-godfather-speaks/ you will see that the Mafia is entrenched on both sides of politics here.

The 'Mafia' is just the arm of the Amart, in my opinion, and wears many colours.

I thought the they were the mafia!

They certainly act that way.

Mafia attacks mafia is how it should be. That way the public are left out of it.

Why would anyone want the name 'Chalerm'?

They are part of the MAFIA in Phuket!

Phuket is a stronghold of the Democrat party and where PAD was most successful. It is also where the view is that Thailand has some of the worst corruption.

Forget tablets for kids, forget 'one-man' national reconciliation bills, and so called 'vice suppression' in Bangkok, even forget arguing about the constitution for a bit.

The way that everyday, normal Thai people are cheated, conned and plain out robbed by organised criminals is a national disgrace. Meanwhile the crooks get richer and the 'authorities' are happy to stand by idly, if not profit from the extortion.

This is something that the Yingluck government should treat as a top priority, not just for the taxi drivers but for Thais in all walks of life. Doing so might just lead to deserved land-slide wins in years to come. It shouldn't even cost very much- just sack and prosecute every police officer who would rather accept money than do their job, which after all is to serve the public.

You missed an important part of the statement;

According to Chalerm, these mafia represent high ranking members of the armed forces or local and national politicians, depending on which area of the city the cue is located.

BMA is for the most part Democrat party turf. ( If the complaint was made in Chiang Mai, I'd say look to the PTP politicians, in case anyone thinks I'm being prejudiced.)

)Just how would the current civilian government take on high ranking members of the armed forces when the armed forces are of the view that the civilian government has no authority over them? Any attempt to clip the wings of the military would most likely result in a coup. In effect, you have the civilian government also being extorted. If you want a democratically elected government, then it must also pay protection to the bloated military.

And why on earth would you take a statement of Chalerm for the truth? huh.pngbah.gif

It certainly is an odd statement, since when Charlerm was carefully naming the mafia staff members, he seems to have forgotten the police members.

If one doesn't want to consider Chalerm's statement as truthful, then this thread has no purpose, since it is predicated on their being truth to the allegation........... ooopsie....

The police members would appear to be inconsequential messenger boys. It is the kleptocracy of entrenched political personage and the untouchable super elite of the military to call the shots. Everyone else is a small player. It's easy to get rid of a local flat foot, but you can't sack an army general.

Mafia attacks mafia is how it should be. That way the public are left out of it.

He, his sons and cronies are the mafia.

I think that you got your Chalerm's slightly mixed up...

If one doesn't want to consider Chalerm's statement as truthful, then this thread has no purpose, since it is predicated on their being truth to the allegation........... ooopsie....

What a weird statement, you might want to check your logic on that. A discussion thread has only purpose if we all accept that the initial allegation is true?

You must have missed all of Chalerms statements in the last few months that turned out to be nothing more than hot air.

He, his sons and cronies are the mafia.

Chalerm will fix this in 5 minutes, I have no doubt, all he needs to do is another nepotism bing and appoint of his own bully sons to the situation.

Mr Happy Biker?

Dunno, but the numbers don't add up for me. Paying 60k a month means 2,000 a day, which is 100 trips @ 20 baht before you've even started paying your petrol, which means 10 trips an hour during a 10 hour shift, or one every 6 minutes. Unlikely. It's a free world, and a question of economics, if the protection fees were unreasonable and you couldn't make a living fewer would volunteer for this work. I'm not defending the practice, I'm criticising this writer for not running the numbers through his head before blithely quoting.

Just saw a complaint that a guy today had to pay 150baht for a 15min ride to a moto-cy. So it isn't always 20 baht rides. Riding from my place to the MRT (not a long way, 1.5km) is 30baht for locals and me.

Just saw a complaint that a guy today had to pay 150baht for a 15min ride to a moto-cy. So it isn't always 20 baht rides. Riding from my place to the MRT (not a long way, 1.5km) is 30baht for locals and me.

Circa 2004 I remember 6 baht rides; 10 baht at night :)

Those moto-taxi guys make a little over200bta day. They have to pay fortheir bikes and fuel out of that. Tip them a little extra next time!

Some of these moto-taxi guys are doing extremely well. Tip only the ones who offer you a cheap price like 10 BHT for a short ride. Some of the moto-taxi guys has definitely already included a big tip in the price offered to farang´s. Only last week I was charged 60 BHT for a 5 minute ride from Panthip Plaza BKK.

Edited by Xonax

I am not surprised by the claims of protection fees. I am however surprised that the head of a group of motorcycle taxi riders has come and spoken out publicly about it. I hope his head isn't next in line for removal.

yes....let them speak loudly!!!! The public knows how well uniformed these mafia agents are. Surprising that the mafia is so hard to be brought to light by the police. But the police well knows who they are!

You know, there is a law on the books that motorcycle taxis are only allowed to charge a maximum 25 baht for the first 2 kilometers. Most motorcycle queues respect this. Some quite brazenly do not.

If you are asked to pay more than that, you can always make a video of the whole trip and then take your case to the police to file a complaint. Nothing will be done about it of course, but at the same time, nothing CAN be done about it if nobody complains. If a few thousand people walk in and try to complain, and maybe some media exposure from a high profile newspaper or two, the police may not be able to dismiss everything so casually.

Just be aware that while most of the drivers are basically decent people, there are a few who are violent and have a vested interest in keeping things the way they are, so be careful who you decide to annoy. It is not as simple as the motorcycle taxi drivers are always victimized, although in many cases they are. But there are also cases where they themselves are participants in the victimizing. It will be messy to overhaul the system, but if anyone thinks this issue is important, then that road begins with a public outcry over the disregard of the fare laws that are already on the books. If nobody ever complains, then things will continue they way they are with the drivers breaking the law and the mafia groups "protecting" them.

BT684m extorted from taxi bikes

THE NATION

30175085-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Taxi motorcyclists nationwide pay Bt684 million each month in protection fees to so-called mafia, an inquiry initiated by a son of Deputy PM Chalerm Yoobamrung found yesterday.

Wan, the newly appointed adviser to the transport minister, led the inspection of a number of taxi motorcycle queues in Bangkok, reportedly following a request by taxi motorcyclists. The first queue inspected was at Sukhumvit Soi 70/5, where the motorcyclists said they paid Bt45,000 each month to "protectors".

The motorcyclists said the protectors had also dispatched 20 unregistered riders to pick up passengers, resulting in their income being cut while having to still pay the monthly protection fees. Wan and Chalerm Changthongmadan, head of the Association of Taxi Motorcyclists of Thailand, vaguely identified who the protectors were. "This queue is located in areas under the influence of a retired Army general and military officers come to collect the fee," he added.

They did not mention the role of local police or traffic police who were supposed to tackle the problem but were not present during yesterday's inspection of several locations.

Quoting the association's head and other taxi motorcyclists, Wan said lawfully registered riders, who totalled around 190,000 nationwide, had to pay Bt120 each day to protectors, in addition to monthly fees. "This could amount to Bt684 million each month that the protectors have been enjoying," he added.

There are 4,453 queues registered with district offices, as of 2003, while there were around 1,000 non-registered queues operating illegally, he said. Wan inspected a few other queues in Sukhumvit and Bang Na areas during his tour yesterday. "I cannot tell you the time frame for dealing with the issue but it will be reported to the prime minister," he added.

To start tackling the problem, Wan said he would seek help from his father Chalerm, to register the 1,000 queues - which would see their licence-plate colour changed to yellow. He called on taxi motorcyclists to file complaints with the police or petition him directly, if they were attacked by the protectors after refusing to pay the fees.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-03

"Wan, the newly appointed adviser to the transport minister", "Wan said he would seek help from his father Chalerm",

Nepotism is rife in the LOS.

nep·o·tism/ˈnepəˌtizəm/

Noun:

The practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, esp. by giving them jobs.

Edited by z12

BT684m extorted from taxi bikes

THE NATION

30175085-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Taxi motorcyclists nationwide pay Bt684 million each month in protection fees to so-called mafia, an inquiry initiated by a son of Deputy PM Chalerm Yoobamrung found yesterday.

Wan, the newly appointed adviser to the transport minister, led the inspection of a number of taxi motorcycle queues in Bangkok, reportedly following a request by taxi motorcyclists. The first queue inspected was at Sukhumvit Soi 70/5, where the motorcyclists said they paid Bt45,000 each month to "protectors".

The motorcyclists said the protectors had also dispatched 20 unregistered riders to pick up passengers, resulting in their income being cut while having to still pay the monthly protection fees. Wan and Chalerm Changthongmadan, head of the Association of Taxi Motorcyclists of Thailand, vaguely identified who the protectors were. "This queue is located in areas under the influence of a retired Army general and military officers come to collect the fee," he added.

They did not mention the role of local police or traffic police who were supposed to tackle the problem but were not present during yesterday's inspection of several locations.

Quoting the association's head and other taxi motorcyclists, Wan said lawfully registered riders, who totalled around 190,000 nationwide, had to pay Bt120 each day to protectors, in addition to monthly fees. "This could amount to Bt684 million each month that the protectors have been enjoying," he added.

There are 4,453 queues registered with district offices, as of 2003, while there were around 1,000 non-registered queues operating illegally, he said. Wan inspected a few other queues in Sukhumvit and Bang Na areas during his tour yesterday. "I cannot tell you the time frame for dealing with the issue but it will be reported to the prime minister," he added.

To start tackling the problem, Wan said he would seek help from his father Chalerm, to register the 1,000 queues - which would see their licence-plate colour changed to yellow. He called on taxi motorcyclists to file complaints with the police or petition him directly, if they were attacked by the protectors after refusing to pay the fees.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-03

What a great role model he is.... Was he at least fined 500 Baht for riding a bike without a helmet?

Hi Doc, love your movie quote.

Doc Holliday: "I'm your huckleberry..."

"Tombstone" (1993)

Dep PM Pledges to Suppress Extortion

BANGKOK: -- A deputy prime minister pledges to protect motorcycle taxi drivers against extortion.

Deputy Prime Minister Chalerm Yoobumrung met about a hundred motorcycle taxi drivers, led by the transport minister's adviser Wan Yoobumrung, who is his son, to receive their complaints about extortion.

Chalerm stated he will set up a committee to probe their complaints and advised them not to bow to any threats or extortion because doing so means they are making the payment voluntarily which bars any legal action.

The deputy premier suggested motorcycle taxi drivers report extortion activities to Metropolitan Police Chief Police Lieutenant General Winai Thongsong.

He remarked the restructuring of regulations governing motorcycle taxis in the capital is the duty of the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration or BMA, and noted the situation can be improved if the governor is from his Pheu Thai Party.

Chalerm then maintained he has no plans to replace the present Police Chief Police General Priewpan Damapong with his deputy Police General Panupong Singhara, given the decision rests with the National Police Policy Committee.

He stated the issue is just a rumor which could be aimed at instigating chaos in the police office.

Meanwhile, Chairman of the Motorcycle Taxi Drivers Association Chalerm Changthongmadan said his group wants the government to crackdown on extortion activities against motorcycle taxi drivers.

He said Bangkok has 130,000 to 180,000 motorcycle taxis, but only 40,000 are legally registered so if the government registers all motorcycle taxi drivers, extortion activities will cease.

The chairman said his association has already asked some district offices to proceed with registration, but they said the BMA still has not approved the issue.

The association will meet the Metropolitan Police commissioner to discuss how to tackle the extortion of motorcycle taxi drivers.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-02-04

Chalerm stated he will set up a committee to probe their complaints and advised them not to bow to any threats or extortion because doing so means they are making the payment voluntarily which bars any legal action.

So, the next time someone threatens to kill you unless you pay them money, don't pay them, as that will mean you can't take legal action against them. huh.png

It states "Chalerm claims that this group" Obviously this doesnt mean individually. Moto taxis don't earn 60,000B per month!