What'S Wrong With Some People Who Live Here?

tolstoy

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I find the word slightly offensive as its sometimes used as a negative slur against 'undesirable Westerners'... When friends kids have been calling me 'Uncle Rich', I have over heard their nannies saying... 'go and play with the Farang'... . It is this sort of example I take objection to, its low class phraseology and doesn't paint a positive picture when there is an alternative respectful word which can be used in its place; 'Westerner'... (or name me by person in the example I used). Anyway – this topic is not about the acceptance of the work Farang – there are various other topics which run on this subject – the only conclusion I see from this is that different people have varied opinions… This Topic is about Westerners making fools of themselves, speaking pidgin English to other Westerners and placing Thai words in the place of Western words… We’ve all seen it. Describing it is a little difficult and someone will always find objection to the internet forum description and pick holes in the subject. Regardless of this, we’ve seen this type of behavior and it makes us cringe…

So is Westerner an accepted Thai synonym for farang? Anyway, I just feel glad that I don't need to resort to pidgin Thai to make a fool of myself, and that I have so many acquaintances here on TV that are so much better versed in what is acceptable English and Thai speech than my simple education allows.

I feel sorry for the arrogant tossers who cannot say the same

SC

If you are speaking to another person who you are quite familiar with then what is wrong with throwing in a few Thai phases. especially if it is light-hearted, jovial banter. I am not that fluent in Thai but am always adding vocabulary and if I can practise and re-force what I have learnt then what is the problem? If I am talking with my gf we are always mixing English and Thai and correcting each other and teaching each other correct language pronunciation and usage. This is a fun way of learning .This, however, may not be not practicable, or even good manners, with a stranger.

The main purpose of talking is communication and being understood so it matters very little what word or phase or language you use if the correct meaning is understood. Does it really matter if I use the term lorry instead of truck, for example, as long as the receiver understands.

And , if somebody uses the word Soi instead of street and we are in Thailand, not London or Paris, then is it not perfectly acceptable?

I really fail to see the problem and if learning Thai by having a fun conversation makes me a “ Loser” then so be it.

• Like 1

"(you will never hear me use the words: fallang, leuk kreung, soi, teerak, jing when speaking in English) Sounds so retarded since their are legitimate English words."

What's the legitimate English word for 'soi'?

(Thai) side-street

EDIT: The 'Thai' may be implied from context...

I know what it means. I was just wondering what legitimate English word the OP uses in conversation. I find it a little hard to believe that he says 'side street 9' rather than soi 9.

Lane?

I find the word slightly offensive as its sometimes used as a negative slur against 'undesirable Westerners'... When friends kids have been calling me 'Uncle Rich', I have over heard their nannies saying... 'go and play with the Farang'... . It is this sort of example I take objection to, its low class phraseology and doesn't paint a positive picture when there is an alternative respectful word which can be used in its place; 'Westerner'... (or name me by person in the example I used). Anyway – this topic is not about the acceptance of the work Farang – there are various other topics which run on this subject – the only conclusion I see from this is that different people have varied opinions… This Topic is about Westerners making fools of themselves, speaking pidgin English to other Westerners and placing Thai words in the place of Western words… We’ve all seen it. Describing it is a little difficult and someone will always find objection to the internet forum description and pick holes in the subject. Regardless of this, we’ve seen this type of behavior and it makes us cringe…

So is Westerner an accepted Thai synonym for farang? Anyway, I just feel glad that I don't need to resort to pidgin Thai to make a fool of myself, and that I have so many acquaintances here on TV that are so much better versed in what is acceptable English and Thai speech than my simple education allows.

SC

We just waves as we drive motosphsycke back to ivory condo.

Xen, read carefully. I am talking about two westerners (native English speakers primarily) using Thai words in their conversations. I am not talking about what you say with your GF or partner.

As to the posters about Soi. Yes, using soi when talking about the name of a street is appropriate since that is the name of the street. But when saying "the people on my soi..." is a little retarded when it is just as easy and accurate to say "on my street".

I got bit by a stray dog is definitely the best option. Soi dog is not even what is said in Thai. So you are not speaking Thai you are speaking broken pidgeon garbage.

The worst that I have seen was a tourist description of a hotel that used words like soi. English speakers in our native lands don't know what a soi is. So it is not descriptive it is diverting.

Dont' get me started with the use of "same same": AAAGGGHHH

It is like some relatively intelligent people had their brains sucked out of them after a few weeks in Thai bars.

SC

They see you rollin', they hatin'?

Posted with Thaivisa App http://apps.thaivisa.com

Seriously in all my Thai days, I've met 3 people who are fluent. By that I mean they can hold a seminar or conference in Thai not the kindergarten Thai dumbed down for Farangs.

As a Black Brit jury is still out on whether I'm a Farang or not from both my western and Thai peers.

A pet peeve is just another form of opinion so to force your opinion down others throats as an accepted standard seems rude, stupid and crass particularly when it comes to language and communication which to be honest the majority on TV - either in a rush to be heard, right a wrong or from general lack of academic instruction - make mistakes in their native own.

Must be off, so many windmills so little time.

• Like 2

I find the word slightly offensive as its sometimes used as a negative slur against 'undesirable Westerners'... When friends kids have been calling me 'Uncle Rich', I have over heard their nannies saying... 'go and play with the Farang'... . It is this sort of example I take objection to, its low class phraseology and doesn't paint a positive picture when there is an alternative respectful word which can be used in its place; 'Westerner'... (or name me by person in the example I used). Anyway â€" this topic is not about the acceptance of the work Farang â€" there are various other topics which run on this subject â€" the only conclusion I see from this is that different people have varied opinions… This Topic is about Westerners making fools of themselves, speaking pidgin English to other Westerners and placing Thai words in the place of Western words… Weâ€ve all seen it. Describing it is a little difficult and someone will always find objection to the internet forum description and pick holes in the subject. Regardless of this, weâ€ve seen this type of behavior and it makes us cringe…

SC

They see you rollin', they hatin'?

SC did you mean , same same ?

Just to be clear, I have no problem with using the word "farang" or "soi" or a couple of other examples. However, I detest native English speakers who are talking to other native speakers and saying things like, "Me like go byteo mack mack." giggle.gif

Edited by Ulysses G.

Just to be clear, I have no problem with using the word "farang" or "soi" or a couple of other examples. However, I detest native English speakers who are talking to other native speakers and saying things like, "Me like go byteo mack mack." giggle.gif

I have problems with anyone speaking like a retard in any language! However if someone is saying, aow mai while handing me a beer I shockingly enough have no problem with that at all.

I have problems with anyone speaking like a retard in any language! However if someone is saying, aow mai while handing me a beer I shockingly enough have no problem with that at all.

Come on, we all know the point here. It's about sounding like a right royal plonker after having gone a little native without the linguistic skills to back it up !

I hate hearing people speaking horrible bar girl pidgin too, but using a few Thai words that work better than English ones is totally acceptable. Soi is a fantastic word, and it should be incorporated in to all dialects of English as soon as possible. Soi dogs is great too. Stray dogs is just the wrong word for them. Taking words from other languages and making them part of our own is what English is all about

• Like 2

Come on, we all know the point here. It's about sounding like a right royal plonker after having gone a little native without the linguistic skills to back it up !

Perhaps the new Guy Ritchie, Lock Stock and Two Smokin' Barfines.

Ulysses, that is exactly the poster I had in mind when writing this.

As for the use of Fallang, I just mean when someone uses it every sentence. I was talking to a guy who was only here for about 2 weeks and he must have used that word 20 times in a two minute conversation. Personally I use the word tourist when reffering to the drifters that come and go and expats when talking about locals (dare I say immigrants). What is wrong with saying " I talked with two guys lastnight" Why do you need to say "I talked with two fallang lastnight"?

As for other Thai words mixed in a sentence. I just think it sounds retarded. But I don't make a big deal about it. Many of the older long term expats that I know here do it. I just ingore it no big deal. But it is just the excessive use of Thai words in a sentence when it isn't necessary.

I just personally feel that if I were to do it also, I would be reducing my language skills not improving them. Adding new words into the lexicon is great but not when only a small percentage actually know what you are talking about.

We've one of these - he's nicknamed "him speak me" and he happily chatters away to all foreigners in this pidgin. He's harmless, but genuinely believes he's showing his mastery of communication. Even the Norwegians find it funny! He comes here for about five months a year and I do wonder if he carries the habit back to his local pub in England. "Sawatdee crap, me want pint Tetley's bitter, chai mai, crap".

He's also a great wai-er - anything or anyone that moves gets a good wai-ing, usually the full job, hands above the head, knees and back deeply bent to show his respect. Adults, kids and (most disconcerting), the assembled foreigners which, once again, even the Norwegians find funny.

But there you go. Lucky me not same same him.

• Like 1

This poster does exactly what I'm talking about in almost every post - although I think that he is just trying be funny, so not a problem in this case.

//closed mak mak!

Funny how he came to my mind too, UG! And did we ever find out what a "nord" was?clap2.gif

Which is quite moot, as you'll find very very few that have gone native and attempt to keep regular company with their own [sort to speak].....contradicts itself considerably.

Whether or not I dumb down my English to better communicate with the locals depends largely on my mood. I hate doing it with a vengeance but in the interests of being understood, I often have little choice but to slip in a Thai word here and there.

Having said that, I'm often surprised at how much I have to simply the beautiful tongue when speaking to my own bloody countrymen laugh.png

Xen, read carefully. I am talking about two westerners (native English speakers primarily) using Thai words in their conversations. I am not talking about what you say with your GF or partner.

As to the posters about Soi. Yes, using soi when talking about the name of a street is appropriate since that is the name of the street. But when saying "the people on my soi..." is a little retarded when it is just as easy and accurate to say "on my street".

Street is the English equivalent of thanon not soi.

Not Road?

That would be 'road'

SC