Visa Status Change Due To Job Offer

Hi everyone,

I've been on an ED visa in the country, now I got a job offer, my employer (a public institution) has already the done the confirmation paper about hiring me. So now I'll need to change my visa status and apply for a work permit. So far, so good, but... that would mean I'd need to take another trip to Laos or is there any way to get this done in Thailand? Would it also be possible to mail my passport along with the papers, forms and a receipt of the paid fee?

Thanks for the replies so far. :) My visa ED visa would expire on Feb 9th and normally I'd need to do the usual 90 days cycle. Can I go to Laos instead to get the Non-B visa? I'd save 2000 THB for the ED one and I'd have to change the status anyway.

Unless you are talking about teaching employment the below is the MFA listing of documents required for a non immigrant B visa:

2. Application for Visa

2.1 Non-Immigrant Visa Category “B” (Business Visa) is issued to applicants who wish to enter the Kingdom to work or to conduct business.

(1) Foreigners who wish to work in Thailand must provide the following documents:

- Passport or travel document with validity of not less than 6 months.

- Completed visa application form.

- Recent passport-sized photograph (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past 6 months.

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family).

- Letter of approval from the Ministry of Labour. To obtain this letter, the applicant’s prospective employer in Thailand is required to submit Form WP3 at the Office of Foreign Workers Administration, Department of Employment, Ministry of Labour Tel. 02-2452745, or at the Provincial Employment Office in his or her respective province. More information is available at www.doe.go.th/workpermit/index.html

- Copy of Work Permit issued by the Ministry of Labour and alien income tax or Por Ngor Dor 91 (only in the case where applicant has previously worked in Thailand).

- Corporate documents of hiring company in Thailand such as:

1) business registration and business license

2) list of shareholders

3) company profile

4) details of business operation

5) list of foreign workers stating names, nationalities and positions

6) map indicating location of the company

7) balance sheet, statement of Income Tax and Business Tax (Por Ngor Dor 50 and Por Ngor Dor 30 of the latest year)

8) value-added tax registration (Por Por 20)

- Document indicating the number of foreign tourists (for tourism business only), or document indicating export transactions issued by banks (for export business only).

N.B.

- An alien who receives a Non-Immigrant visa can work in Thailand once he or she is being granted a work permit. An alien in violation of the Immigration Act B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning taking up employment without work permit or the Royal Decree B.E. 2522 (1979) concerning holding employment in certain restricted occupations and professions shall be prosecuted and imprisoned or fined, or shall face both penalties.

- It is recommended that the applicant should apply for visa at the Thai Embassy/ Consulate in the country where he/she has the residence

I'm confused now, I need to apply for the work permit before I get the non-b visa?

Yes, you apply now, but will only be able to collect the WP once you have your non Immigrant B Visa and 90 day entry stamp.

Most Consulates in SE Asia also expect a copy of the WP3 Receipt along with a whole raft of other company papers (see this link http://www.mfa.go.th...482.php?id=2492) which you are given when you/your employer succesfully file papers in application for the WP.

Some Consulates like Penang also ask for the Letter of Aproval as well (this can take up to a week to get, once your WP application is approved).

You need the original WP3 receipt to collect your WP when you have done the the non B entry.

Does it make any difference in the whole visa process if I'd in a public institution, a public hospital in my case? Which visa type would apply for me then? The letter I got from them is confirming that they are going to hire me, I've been told to take this to the Embassy with me to get my visa in order to apply for the work permit.

Does it make any difference in the whole visa process if I'd in a public institution, a public hospital in my case? Which visa type would apply for me then? The letter I got from them is confirming that they are going to hire me, I've been told to take this to the Embassy with me to get my visa in order to apply for the work permit.

Maybe they don't hire foreigners very often at the hospital where you will be employed.

The WP application procedures and visa required are the same - you could well come back empty handed if you try making a visa run to a Thai Consulate in the SE Asia region with just an invitation letter from your future employer.

Take the non B visa document list to the HR Dept at the Hospital as soon as you can and also try to get them moving with the WP application process.

Also maybe it's worth going to your local Labour Dept with a Thai speaker to enquire/get the application forms, etc.

The requirements for getting a Work Permit to be employed as a Graphic Designer would be similar whether you will be employed to work for a Public Hospital or for an Ad Agency, unless the company is BOI registered.

If for a public hospital, you can try to convert, but do get a nice letter asking immigraiton for their help from the director and have someone from the hospital going with you. That might make all the difference, but it is very, very likely that they will not convert and send you abroad.

Do have the work permit application ready and submitted, with you having received a wp3 form. Immigration can only convert if you comply with the rules for a 1 year extension. Without the wp3 form they will not be able to convert. You will need the wp3 form anyway to apply for a visa abroad, anyway.

The easiest thing is to apply for a non-B abroad, and because it is the easiest way, most immigration people will advise you to do that.

In a lot of cases and under certain circumstances it IS possible to convert permissions of stay from ED-status to B-status.

Please visit the nearest Immigration or even better, the Immigration HQ in Bangkok and yes, take someone Thai with you.