Hill Tribes

connda

Some recent posts got me interested in researching the hill tribes.

My first though was, “How many do-gooders does it take to screw in a light-bulb, or conversely, destroy a simple, indigenous culture?”

My second thought was, “What is the real driving force that motivated the various missionaries, volunteers, and other various NGOs to insert themselves into the lives of these people.”

The answer to both questions essentially revolves around – money. “There’s money to be made in the life’s that we save”, would be a great motto for these organizations in my humble opinion. However, from what I can see and understand, it looks more like most of these organizations, even the one’s that think they are doing the most “good” -God's Work- are instrumental in the systematic destruction of what use to be an independantly functioning indigenous population.

I did a web search and I could not find one organization that didn’t want a substantial financial contribution or donation in order to allow someone the “privilege” to volunteer to help.

And that got me to thinking, why is it these people need help in the first place? Because they have been forcefully relocated by various organizations, wreaking havoc on there culture? Because their children have been stripped away from their family and culture in the name of Jesus and a better life? Because they are simple people who can’t deal with the modern world? Because they are exploited? Hummm. Exploited? Yeah, by just about everyone.

How about just moving these people back to their highland habits, and leaving them the hell alone! It looks like they were doing fine before the SE Asian countries where these people live were invaded by Western, communist, and “modern” ideology.

These people are animists with a very rich culture that is deeply steeped in tradition that is handed down from generation to generation. I think their simplicity of lifestyle is admirable.

So all you do-gooders out there with your collective hands out looking for money – shame on you. The hill tribes will benefit the most by you getting out of their life’s. You are not part of the solution – the second you inserted our own cultural ideology into their culture -- you became the problem! Go home!

• Like 1

It is so unfair , I think you have all seen the documentary that was posted here yesterday.

Christian Missionaries? What are they doing up there? From what I can see they are destroying the hill tribes , kidnap their kids and rape them.

Prove me wrong , but that documentary was very revealing.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

I've traveled extensively through the hill tribe villages of north west Thailand and spent a fair amount of time conversing with those that like to speak English. They are some of the most courteous Thais I've met anywhere and all have been friendly to me without the usual hands out asking for money for free. I have also noticed their villages are MUCH cleaner than any of the rural areas around most of Thailand's cities...or at least the cities I've been to: Chiang Mai, Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Rayong, Chonburi, Udon Thani, Kanchanaburi, etc, etc. In the hill tribe villages you just don't see all the plastic garbage thrown everywhere. I've got thousands of photos to prove my point.

It is so unfair , I think you have all seen the documentary that was posted here yesterday.

Christian Missionaries? What are they doing up there? From what I can see they are destroying the hill tribes , kidnap their kids and rape them.

Prove me wrong , but that documentary was very revealing.

That is not even close to what I've seen or experienced.

Christian missionaries have been stripping children away from their families for centuries. Look at any nation where missionries have had any sort of significant influence. The history of missionaries in N.America is filled with seperated families, forced indoctrination into an alien culture and sexua/physical abuse. What these missionaries are doing in Thailand is nothing new. Take a look at history.

BTW I have witnessed the tragic results of all this while working with aboriginal organizations.

Edited by TheKeeNok
  • Like 1