Minimum Balance Required At Kasikorn Bank To Avoid Monthly 'Maintenance' Charge

I have two semi-dormant accounts at K Bank, one in Bangkok and one in Pattaya.

A few months ago I ‘pruned’ them down to around 500 Baht in each account and have just noticed that since then, both accounts are reducing at the rate of 50 Baht per month due to a ‘commission’ charge.

I particularly want to keep the Bangkok account but don’t want to pay 50 Baht per month for the privilege, so does anyone know the minimum balance required to avoid this monthly charge?

Thanks

Daveroc,

Exactly what is the definition of "inoperative?" Does that mean, excluding any interest posssibly earned, that the balance does not change...that is, the account owner did add, remove, or transfer any funds from/to the account for a year.

I guess what I beating around the bush at what if a member has internet banking, logs on to check his account every few months...does that count as activity to keep the account from being classified as inoperative? Or maybe just checks his balance via the ATM...does that count towards keeping account operative? Thanks.

Pib

Pib,

The customer intiates a transaction to the account, inward or outward. Viewing the account through ATM's or Internet does not count. Bank initiated transactions such as interest payments are also excluded.

Dave

• Like 1

Here's a Bangkok Bank webpage and cut and paste talking about account maintenance fees.

Link

post-55970-0-75138700-1328165651_thumb.j

And here's a K-Bank webpage and cut and paste talking about account maintenance fees.

Link

post-55970-0-09317400-1328165963_thumb.j

Thanks. That answers my question although I don;t think it is a year since I made a transaction. I will check again, but at least I know the answer.

Pib,

The customer intiates a transaction to the account, inward or outward. Viewing the account through ATM's or Internet does not count. Bank initiated transactions such as interest payments are also excluded.

Dave

Thanks...that what I thought but wanted to be sure....or said another way, the account owner must add or substract some baht through at least one deposit, withdrawal, or transfer.

But for a savings account it appears the easiest way to avoid a maintenance fee or the account being closed for inactivity is just to keep at least 2,000 baht in the account and then a person wouldn't need to do any periodic activity.

Edited by Pib

But for a savings account it appears the easiest way to avoid a maintenance fee or the account being closed for inactivity is just to keep at least 2,000 baht in the account and then a person wouldn't need to do any periodic activity.

Or set up an automatic recurring account transfer every 6 months. At worst, you pay 10-20 baht for out of province transfer.

"2nd best time to plant a tree is today." Sent from ThaiVisa app.

If I were you I would look at changing my bank, anyone who does that to me gets the order of the boot PDQ.

When I came here I went to K Bank to open an account, there interest and service was absoulute zero so I went to Ayudyha whata breath of fresh air. I do suspect it could vary from branch to branch though and English speakers are a definite bonus.

Not to say to each his own does not apply but.........

500 THB in a bank is what $16 bucks?

It is not surprising the bank would charge something just for the trouble to keep

something like that open... There is some degree of book keeping on any account I imagine.

In the USA $50 is minimum for credit unions not to charge you something & many banks

have a $300 minimum to not charge you $4-5 a month for upkeep.

50 Baht is $1.61 per month not so bad IMHO

In the USA $50 is minimum for credit unions not to charge you something & many banks

I'm a member of two U.S. credit unions; one has a $5 minimum balance requirement and the other $25 to keep your account open....no maintenance fee apply regardless of amount. However, one requires account activity (i.e., account owner deposits/withdraws/transfers at least a penny) at least every 4 years to avoid the account from being frozen...not sure what the time period is for the other credit union. The time requirement will vary from credit union to credit union depending on applicable state law. Additionally, funds from dorminant accounts will be transferred to the state treasury after X-years...yeap, in a round about way it's another way for states to get money....kinda like a tax/fee. Now most U.S. banks do seem charge a maintenance fee unless a minimum average account balance per month is kept or you have your paycheck direct-deposited.

Edited by Pib

I'm a member of two U.S. credit unions; one has a $5 minimum balance requirement and the other $25 to keep your account open....no maintenance fee apply regardless of amount. However, one requires account activity (i.e., account owner deposits/withdraws/transfers at least a penny) at least every 4 years to avoid the account from being frozen...not sure what the time period is for the other credit union. The time requirement will vary from credit union to credit union depending on applicable state law. Additionally, funds from dorminant accounts will be transferred to the state treasury after X-years...yeap, in a round about way it's another way for states to get money....kinda like a tax/fee. Now most U.S. banks do seem charge a maintenance fee unless a minimum average account balance per month is kept or you have your paycheck direct-deposited.

yep, same here. Especially military-friendly credit unions are very lax. Once you pay for membership, your in with no minimum fees.

But avoiding dormancy is easy for those that have free bill pay or acct-to-acct transfer service. Just schedule a transfer from acct 1 to acct 2 for a small amount every 3, 6, 10, months. That will show activity on both accounts. Or a higher balance.

SCB also has the dormant, minimum balance requirement. 2000 THB is the minimum with 12 months dormancy.

Agreed ... I lost the money in this account through the minimum balance requirement so a switch to the Siam Commercial Bank isn't an option.