New Turkish Restaurant

SwaziBird

I see from the Social Pics page of CityNow.com dated 29th January that a new restaurant has opened at JJ Markets.

Name of restaurant is Kafe Otto.

Someone told me that the food was excellent. The prices are, apparently, modest and they will be having a Sunday evening buffet as well.

I can't get there for at least another 2 weeks and just wondering whether anyone else can share any personal experience.

Cheers.

BTW I disclaim any financial or other interest in this restaurant other than as a possible patron.

Edited by SwaziBird

I was delighted to find your post here, SwaziBird, having spent a month last autumn living in Istanbul and enjoying marvelous Turkish food of all sorts every day I was there. I look forward to giving Kafe Otto a try soon, and to reporting back. Though I fear my report will probably be that the food is at best okay, and except in name only remotely like real Turkish food. : )

Just wondering why there's been not 1 reader /reply to my query posted nearly 9 hours ago.

Cheers.

Maybe that's the answer to your query.

I am happy to see that the post has come "alive". There was clearly a technical glitch which I think was sorted out with the help of a moderator. After 9 hours there was a "0" count of readers which is virtually an impossibility on this forum with a consequential "O" replies.

It was obviously the "0"readers that was concerning me. All is now well and I am awaiting someone with actual personal experience of the place to consider posting their opinion.

Cheers.

Not one to dilly dally, I sallied forth an hour ago to try to have lunch at Kafe Otto.

They're not really open yet. The Turkish gentleman to whom I spoke, and who seemed to be the owner, told me they could make a few items for me for lunch, and would be happy to, but added that they would pasta dishes, not Turkish dishes, as they were not really set up yet. I told him in that case not to worry, I'd be back another time when I could try their Turkish dishes.

He told me that tomorrow evening they will be offering a buffet of Turkish - or as he explained with a smile, what we call "Turkish/Greek", and there is indeed often little difference between the two cuisines - dishes, some fifteen or so items, if I remember correctly.

He told me also that they will not have their written menus ready until sometime next week, but will be serving a range of Turkish dishes in the evenings, even before they have their written menus in hand.

Edited by tombkk
Cleaned up HTML tags.

Second that, 5 of us went for lunch after seeing the hours advertised as food served from 10 am and free coffee. After much discussion they said they had not had their grand opening yet so they were only serving dinner, not a similar offer of feeding us something or even a cup of coffee. Not esp. nice about it, wouldn't even approach us, just off handed from across the room after making us all wait for them to decide our fate.

He told me that tomorrow evening they will be offering a buffet of Turkish - or as he explained with a smile, what we call "Turkish/Greek", and there is indeed often little difference between the two cuisines - dishes, some fifteen or so items, if I remember correctly.

Now if they did a buffet this could work. Such cuisine requires having a bunch of dishes to nip and pick at... dining for 3 or 4 just doesnt justify ordering as much as is required to get a good sampling happening. Thats why Greeek Easters are fantastic.

• 2 months later...

The restaurant is open all day long now. You can show up for lunch or dinner and order from the menu. The Turkish food is real Turkish food, I tried almost all dishes and let me tell you they are delicious. The coffee is the best one I've had in Thailand, not to mention it is the only place I really enjoyed a well done frappe. It's been one month now that I buy coffee from them since everything else I found in town at decent prices is over roasted - seems the Thais like it like this, but not me (price is 120thb for 250g pack). The restaurant will have the buffet on Thursdays starting this week (30th of April) - 200thb all you can eat, great food. On Friday night there's always a cheerful Couchsurfers & friends gathering - anyone can stop by, have a drink and a good time.

• Like 1

Thank you Elena for a very good review. Have had this confirmed by others . I returned, yesterday, from a lengthy stay in Oz and after reading your review have booked for this Thursday's buffet dinner.

Rasseru - hope you enjoy this place too.

Cheers.

Anybody know if there's aircon for lunch?

Went there yesterday afternoon. The place is open (roofed) air, no AC, and not really cosy, at least during day time.

Found it quite pricey (250 THB for the cheapest Kebab); thought we are not BKK here hence ordered only a normal coffee (Unfortunately "no hap" Turkish coffee even though promoted on the handwritten chalkboard.) which was indeed one of the better ones in town.

Don't predict them a long tarm future ...

I think he's looking for volunteers to actually trek out there, feed on some Turkish stuff and then do a full review.

Anyone?

Oh, I think we can wait a couple of weeks for his review.

Had a very pleasant buffet dinner at Otto Cafe. The title of this establishment is a bit of a misnomer since it's certainly more restaurant than cafe but the proprietor does his own roasting of coffee beans grown on his farm. This is possibly why he refers to his place as a cafe.

Mustaphah, the proprietor, and his Turkish chef tell me that his buffets will always be different since they have a vast selection of dishes to present.

Couldn't fault the food. Each of the many dishes was very tasty. The dessert was great as well. Free tea comes with the buffet but it is well worth the purchase of his coffee to top off the meal. I like mine black and my wife enjoyed her cappuccino.

As I understand it, Otto cafe is open in the mornings for coffee. Lunches and dinners are a la carte. Buffets are proposed for Thursday evenings ( at this time).

Good value (200 baht) for good, varied and in many ways exotic and very tasty dishes.

One suggestion. Get there early for the buffet dinner since the food can cool after a while. Our dinner companions who live in Greece and know Turkey very well, tell me that this is common in that part of the world - somewhat similar to the Thai propensity for food that is not piping hot.

Perhaps this constructive posting will help those wondering what the place is like.

Cheers.

Edited by SwaziBird

What time does the buffet start on Thursday? How many dishes are they currently serving? Curious minds want to know. wink.png

7.00 P.M.

Didn't count the dishes but, at a guess , about 16 of them. I found all of them (except the salads for which I didn't have room) were very appetising.

I think they are trying to establish the viability of their buffet dinners and for the time they are running with Thursday evenings.

It would be worth your while to call them first to establish this permanence or otherwise.

I think next Thursday will almost certainly be on.

Hope you enjoy yourselves as much as we did.

Cheers

Edited by SwaziBird

The restaurant is open all day long now. You can show up for lunch or dinner and order from the menu. The Turkish food is real Turkish food, I tried almost all dishes and let me tell you they are delicious. The coffee is the best one I've had in Thailand, not to mention it is the only place I really enjoyed a well done frappe. It's been one month now that I buy coffee from them since everything else I found in town at decent prices is over roasted - seems the Thais like it like this, but not me (price is 120thb for 250g pack). The restaurant will have the buffet on Thursdays starting this week (30th of April) - 200thb all you can eat, great food. On Friday night there's always a cheerful Couchsurfers & friends gathering - anyone can stop by, have a drink and a good time.

And a place to sleep i presume smile.png ...have the vision of the famous overstay place in Bangkok now in my head.

7.00 P.M.

Didn't count the dishes but, at a guess , about 16 of them. I found all of them (except the salads for which I didn't have room) were very appetising.

I think they are trying to establish the viability of their buffet dinners and for the time they are running with Thursday evenings.

It would be worth your while to call them first to establish this permanence or otherwise.

I think next Thursday will almost certainly be on.

Hope you enjoy yourselves as much as we did.

Cheers

would like to echo this - went and tried the kafe otto buffet last night and it was really, really nice. party of six of us thoroughly enjoyed it, good selection of food, excellent rice pudding for dessert, friendly and efficient service, nice feel to the place too. will be back.

I was there last night too. There was a really noisy table of 6 westerners, but other than that it was a very enjoyable experience!

Just kidding!!! (Not kidding about the enjoyable experience. Kidding about the noisy westerners!).

Yes - very nice spread. There were a lot of dips. The eggplant dip could have done with a bit more seasoning (and maybe a shot of lime), but was ok. There were about 5 or 6 dairy based dips - one like a tsitsiki (garlicky), and one a shocking pink (really shocking!). There was a red tomato-based dip that was almost salsa like, and a few other dips that had vegies and things mixed in.

The buffet didn't need so many dips ((especially as a few were quite similar), but there was enough other food as well - so no problem!.

Nice fresh salads - lettuce, carrot, and cabbage. I would like to see some raw onions as well...

Three hot dishes - one was minced meat baked with spices and tomato slices on top. Sort of 'mousakka-like', without the "mou" (no layers, no potatoes...). Rich - I had three servings.

The chicken dish was leg and thigh pieces in a light clear soup-like sauce. Chicken was a little overdone (over-boiled), but satisfactory.

The third hot dish was like a North-African Tajine - a delicious light stew with vegies and small cubes of lamb.

The home-made bread was great - I think their pizzas might be the shit. Gonna try them next time.

I know that Turks don't use much rice, but it still would have been nice to have a simple rice dish too (I don't eat a lot of bread, as much as I like it).

Fantastic rice pudding - in a light custard.

Friendly service. Good English. Free water. Nice location. Fair price. Overall very good food. Oh yes - good pickles too!!!

200bt.