Khaosarn Road Tourists Injured In Bus Accident

Jai Dee

A COACH CARRYING FOREIGN TOURISTS FROM KHAOSARN BOUND FOR SURATTHANI OVERTURNED

A coach carrying foreign tourists from Khaosarn (ข้าวสาร) road has overturned while on its way to Suratthani, resulting in almost 20 injuries.

The double-decker coach overturned on Rama 2nd road in Samuprakarn province last night, after it picked up passengers from Khaosarn road in Bangkok. 11 people received minor injuries while 5 were seriously wounded and sent to Mahachai 1 hospital. Mr. SOMBAT PHUITTHISEN (สมบัติ พุฒิเสน), Mr. Pimpare Herve Philippe, Mr. Huguet Jerome, Mr. Larsson Larslols Jonh, and Mr. Parmell Birgirtta Aspridmaria were the 5 people sent for intensive care.

The coach driver had escaped in fear of criminal prosecution, and police are tracking the man.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 December 2005

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Out of curiosity do bus drivers, truck drivers etc need a special licence here, as required in the UK for example? I think I'm right in saying that although the Thai police are armed, no checks are made as to their suitability to carry arms, so I don't suppose any special driving licence is required either.

I hope the injured soon recover, and the driver gets his just desserts.

I took that bus once. Everyone on there had their luggage rifled through and things taken before getting dumped in Surat Thani at four in the morning.

Direct bus to Phuket my arse. Ironically they took my address book (leather bound) but left brand new Levis, designer shirts etc.

Out of curiosity do bus drivers, truck drivers etc need a special licence here, as required in the UK for example?  I think I'm right in saying that although the Thai police are armed, no checks are made as to their suitability to carry arms, so I don't suppose any special driving licence is required either.

they have to be able to drink lao khao and talk on the phone while driving at high speed at night. that's skill!

Guess what people. This is not the UK and never will be. My advice is to not take any busses or minivans anywhere. This is not always practical or possible but after two bus rides in two years I drive everywhere.... Phuket to Bangkok, Chang Mai, Surin, Suratthani, and no, I don't own a vehicle. I borrow or rent one anytime I need travel from Phuket.

Edited by justaskdan

As far as I know a commercial driving licences are required for buses and trucks. Taxi drivers certainly need a special licence. However, I am sure that these are obtained by paying bribes and no special driving skills or knowledge are required. For standard driving licences the bribe is now 2,000 baht and the examiners make sure that the passing rate of candidates who refuse to offer the bribe is very low. The test includes a lot of useless pernicky skills like being able to park exactly 25 cm from the curb but next to nothing on road safety. But in any case most of the people driving around have not genuinely passed it. Many drivers don't even have a driving licence. I have been involved in three accidents over 15 years here and in the two of the cases the other driver didn't have a licence. The penalty for this was only 500 baht.

I took that bus once. Everyone on there had their luggage rifled through and things taken before getting dumped in Surat Thani at four in the morning.

Direct bus to Phuket my arse. Ironically they took my address book (leather bound) but left brand new Levis, designer shirts etc.

What indeed has Phuket (direct bus or otherwise) got to do with this thread ?????

Govt buses out of the South bus station are regulated, have licensed qualified drivers, maintenance checks and two drivers for the long trip. Buses out of Khao San road do not carry Thai people because they aren't licensed passenger carriers but are licensed as "tour buses". hence the usual one driver, unscheduled stops, numerous breakdowns etc.

I wonder about one thing: Almost every accident involving a bus or a truck, the driver miraculously seems to stay unhurt and flees the scene.

Regardless how much damage to the vehicle, and how many dead or serioulsy injured. Seldom the driver.

Are these always facts or is this a cover-up? i.e. the driver protected by police (poor thai guy, no license, but if he goes to jail his family starves....) and just written up as "fled the scene"..??

Anyone else wondering..?

regards...

Thanh

What indeed has Phuket (direct bus or otherwise) got to do with this thread ?????

Obviously a man true to his motto. Try a little harder to be humble Mr. Good.

It's not important if the bus goes to Phuket or to the Punjab? Anyway, maybe Phuket is the next stop after Surat Thani. Sadly, Jimbob's unfortunate experience is a warning to us all about travelling anywhere in Thailand on a public bus. There are opportunistic bus bandits everywhere.

Out of curiosity do bus drivers, truck drivers etc need a special licence here, as required in the UK for example?  I think I'm right in saying that although the Thai police are armed, no checks are made as to their suitability to carry arms, so I don't suppose any special driving licence is required either.

they have to be able to drink lao khao and talk on the phone while driving at high speed at night. that's skill!

I know you were only joking stevehaigh but I don't think those that are killed and injured on buses every year would agree with you, have a bit of sympathy mate.

I wonder about one thing: Almost every accident involving a bus or a truck, the driver miraculously seems to stay unhurt and flees the scene.

Regardless how much damage to the vehicle, and how many dead or serioulsy injured. Seldom the driver.

Are these always facts or is this a cover-up? i.e. the driver protected by police (poor thai guy, no license, but if he goes to jail his family starves....) and just written up as "fled the scene"..??

Anyone else wondering..?

regards...

Thanh

In case some of our overseas readers are uinfamiliar with the phrase "FLED THE SCENE", it is part of an intensive 1 week course offered in Sowankalot,northern Thailand.

At the Sowankalot Higher Institute of Transport School (S.H.I.T.S.) there are 8 courses that must be studied:

1. Drive with eyes closed for at least 20 seconds at 100 km/h.

2. Eat somtam while driving at 100 km/h.

3. Talk on a mobile phone while eating somtam at 100km/h.

4. Change VCD's with one hand at 100 km/h.

5. Locate all exits of the bus in the dark. (This is not for the passengers benefit by the way)

6. Know just how loud to play the stereo/karaoke so that passengers can't hear the bus employees ransacking passenger's luggage in the baggage compartment below..

7. Be able to exit the bus while it is in any position other than normal ie. upside down.

8. Be able to flee the scene without anyone seeing you or being able to catch you.

(Note: Drivers are taught that returning to their home village within one week of the incident exposes them to possible arrest by the boys in tight brown.

All graduates of S.H.I.T.S. are guaranteed work, but only the finest are selected for long distance air-con bus fleets. Others graduate to Bangkok City buses with the lowest student/graduates working on the green mini buses on Bangkok streets. The only requirements for the latter are that they have had some experience with a vehicle of some sort. Thus most green bus drivers come to Bangkok with experience of a mechanical buffalo in a rice paddy. All green bus drivers must know the name of one Formula 1 driver.

Students taking this course are encouraged to obtain a drivers license first. :o

Edited by ratcatcher

Anyone else wondering..?

regards...

Thanh

In case some of our overseas readers are uinfamiliar with the phrase "FLED THE SCENE", it is part of an intensive 1 week course offered in Sowankalot,northern Thailand.

At the Sowankalot Higher Institute of Transport School (S.H.I.T.S.) there are 8 courses that must be studied:

1. Drive with eyes closed for at least 20 seconds at 100 km/h.

2. Eat somtam while driving at 100 km/h.

3. Talk on a mobile phone while eating somtam at 100km/h.

4. Change VCD's with one hand at 100 km/h.

5. Locate all exits of the bus in the dark. (This is not for the passengers benefit by the way)

6. Know just how loud to play the stereo/karaoke so that passengers can't hear the bus employees ransacking passenger's luggage in the baggage compartment below..

7. Be able to exit the bus while it is in any position other than normal ie. upside down.

8. Be able to flee the scene without anyone seeing you or being able to catch you.

(Note: Drivers are taught that returning to their home village within one week of the incident exposes them to possible arrest by the boys in tight brown.

All graduates of S.H.I.T.S. are guaranteed work, but only the finest are selected for long distance air-con bus fleets. Others graduate to Bangkok City buses with the lowest student/graduates working on the green mini buses on Bangkok streets. The only requirements for the latter are that they have had some experience with a vehicle of some sort. Thus most green bus drivers come to Bangkok with experience of a mechanical buffalo in a rice paddy. All green bus drivers must be know the name of one Formula 1 driver.

Students taking this course are encouraged to obtain a drivers license first. :o

Great stuff!!!!

:D

I was racing with one of those bus once. The guy wouldn't let me pass him and when I did, he was on my tail at 140 km/h making lightbeam signals he wanted to pass me. I could barely keep up as driving at 150/160 wasn't an option. He did that for more than 30 min while honking like a mad man. There were passengers in that coach. I was surprised how fast he was actually. Those bus definitely own the roads.

Edited by Butterfly

unless you are really counting your satang you can get a fairly cheap flight visa www.airasia.com to most places in thailand, or atleast cut the travel time shorter, ie fly to udan thani and take a bus to nong khai.

A COACH CARRYING FOREIGN TOURISTS FROM KHAOSARN BOUND FOR SURATTHANI OVERTURNED

A coach carrying foreign tourists from Khaosarn (ข้าวสาร) road has overturned while on its way to Suratthani, resulting in almost 20 injuries.

The double-decker coach overturned on Rama 2nd road in Samuprakarn province last night, after it picked up passengers from Khaosarn road in Bangkok. 11 people received minor injuries while 5 were seriously wounded and sent to Mahachai 1 hospital. Mr. SOMBAT PHUITTHISEN (สมบัติ พุฒิเสน), Mr. Pimpare Herve Philippe, Mr. Huguet Jerome, Mr. Larsson Larslols Jonh, and Mr. Parmell Birgirtta Aspridmaria were the 5 people sent for intensive care.

The coach driver had escaped in fear of criminal prosecution, and police are tracking the man.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 06 December 2005

Ex-pats seem to go to Khousan Road to get the cheapest deals. One look at the ticket vendors should tell you that the trip is potentially disaster prone. Whilst not totally reliable a bus out of a recognized terminal with a brace of drivers is the better choice. The extra cost is minimimal compared with the risks.

I don't know any expats that go to Khao San to get the cheapest deals on buses. In fact I would imagine its just as cheap if not cheaper from the bus terminal.

I would imagine the risk is similar as well, since I have used both types of buses many a time without problems and this is the first bit of news I have seen on a Khao San bus crashing in quite a while if ever.

For guys going to Koh Samui, Koh Pang Gan, or Surathani, take the cheap Orient Thai Airways to Surathani then ferry onto Koh Samui or Phan Gan, spend a thousand bahts more and save one day and night of nightmare on the wobbling bus and SAVE your life.

For other destinations, take Air Asia, Nok Air, Orient Thai, they cover almost all the destinations. Very cheap compared to EU. Book early on line save more money. I have not take any long distance bus since the operations of these budget airlines sevearl years ago.

Edited by dannishgung

I was racing with one of those bus once. The guy wouldn't let me pass him and when I did, he was on my tail at 140 km/h making lightbeam signals he wanted to pass me. I could barely keep up as driving at 150/160 wasn't an option. He did that for more than 30 min while honking like a mad man. There were passengers in that coach. I was surprised how fast he was actually. Those bus definitely own the roads.

I can't count the many times this has happened to me, it's really scary. It's difficult to get out of their way when the left hand lane has slow trucks, impossible to slow down that fast. Bottom line is that they have no respect for human life, far beyond rude. The law of the road is: The bigger or newer the vehicle, the more self given rights they have.

Many years ago I took the bus or mini-bus and after several near mishaps I would never ride in either again, never. The mini-buses to and from HatYai are the worst that I've experienced. One driver put a knife to a passengers neck because he was smoking a cigarette. Nine people in the minivan and four of the passengers were farang girls, they were in tears and on the verge of hysterics because the driver was a lunatic driving really crazy. Give me a buffalo anyday.

NOTE: ALWAYS TAKE A PICTURE OF THE DRIVER WHEN YOU FIRST GET IN if not a deterrent you'll have something to give the police, if you're conscious....

Edited by JRinger

Anyone consider maybe it wasn't the bus drivers fault? Could have just been an honest mistake....

As for him running....well what would you do if you were a poor thai bus driver and you just busted up a bus full of rich farang.....He knew he'd be guilty no matter what happened, so obviously he's gonna run.

Accidents happen. Look at driving conditions in Southern California. Just because something happens in Thailand is no reason to think your lifes in danger just because you take public transportation.

Accidents happen in the USA, UK, Austrailia, and everywhere else in the world as well.

I take public transportation in Thailand all the time and have never been involved in a traffic accident.

I think public trasnportation is safe and will continue to use it.

I don't know any expats that go to Khao San to get the cheapest deals on buses.  In fact I would imagine its just as cheap if not cheaper from the bus terminal.

I would imagine the risk is similar as well, since I have used both types of buses many a time without problems and this is the first bit of news I have seen on a Khao San bus crashing in quite a while if ever.

Khao San road is considerably cheaper than the Southern Bus terminal as the bus fare usually includes the price of the boat as well. I know a few people here who use them but mostly the train or flying out of Samui or Surat.

I have heard these stories time and again, this is the first time with serious injuries but alot of our guests get roped into these Khao San Road buses (usually to take the train back :D) and I have heard numerous horror stories of buses breaking down in the middle of nowhere and the passengers being forced to buy tickets on another bus just to get here, windows cracking and breaking on the bus as its barrelling down the road and minor fender benders. This is the first time I have heard of serious injuries that I can remember but that doesn't mean much --I can't remember everything! :o