How Much Financial Info Should I Show To Immigration.

Hi.

The Thai Consulates in the U.S. are requesting my Bank Statement to verify I have sufficient funds as a prerequisite in obtaining a double entry tourist visa or 90 day Non imm O visa.

That’s not a problem.

What I have for them is a bank statement mailed monthly to me showing my financial activity.

Question: Can I whiteout the checking/savings account number?

Would immigration be suspicious if it disappears?

I’m not sure if displaying bank name, account number, your name, address and amount is enough info to trigger hijacking of funds from a bank account.

Am I to paranoid?

What did you members do?

I agree that you have to be careful with privacy issues.

When I supplied my bank statement as supporting evidience to my gf's visa application I simply scanned my statement with a 'post-it note' (I'm not sure what you call it is the states?) over the account number.

None of their business what the number is.

Enough evidience to be my name, address and balance ... not need for an account number.

No questions asked by them, no problem in granting the Visa.

Oh ... better to being paranoid by removing it and not worrying the Thai Embassy want to see it or not!

Edited by David48

When I mail a visa application to a consulate I always enclose a covering letter listing the documents I enclose, serves me as a reference for subsequent applications. In this case, I would list the statement as "bank account statement (account number obliterated for security reasons)"

Incidentally, the required funds for a tourist visa are the equivalent of THB 20,000. From the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs:

2. TOURIST VISA

2. DOCUMENTS REQUIRED

- Evidence of adequate finance (20,000 Baht per person and 40,000 Baht per family)

What Consulate is making this requirement for a tourist visa issue? Do you have US passport? How would you qualify for non immigrant O visa?

Normally Consulates do not ask financial paperwork from home country residents so are you sure it is required? The tourist visa requirement for New York Consulate is

Required documents for tourist visas
  1. One application form
  2. Two passport-size photographs (2x2 inches)
  3. Passport (valid for at least the next 6 months)
  4. Visa fee
  5. If an applicant needs their passport mailed back, we require you to enclose a self addressed envelope, size 6”x9” or large enough to fit all passports with sufficient postage stamps. Metered stamps will not be accepted. (We recommend USPS Express mail)

Lopburi.

Yes I am a U.S. citizen.

I am applying for my visa at the Portland Consulate.

I am initially requesting for a Non Imm O visa.

If that doesn’t work, I will go with the Double entry visa.

The New York embassy are only granting single entry visa. So I am bypassing them.

I pulled this link (see below) from the Portland (visa instructions) website.

In section “D” they request evidence of adequate funds of 20,000 baht.

http://www.thai-or.com/Visa%20Instructions.pdf

Thanks.

Tom.

You did not say how you would qualify for non immigrant O visa issue but if you do it should not be a problem.

The 20k is a set requirement to show you have access for that amount of money - you do not have to show banking account "financial activity" - just a statement that shows more than about $700 available in your name. I always obtained in person and was never asked for any such proof.