Thai Education Ministry Sets Tablet PC Price At Bt2,400

webfact

Has there been any discussion of what OS will be used and what software vendors are ready with apps to do the things they envision for these tablets?

If you follow the "progress" of this program, you'll see that they basically make it up as they go along.

It was an empty promise for the election, One Tablet Per Child. Details? who needs details? Just have Thaksin's figurehead enticing the plebes with a shiny Samsung Galaxy Tab "Yes my darlings, vote for me and you'll get one!"

After the election they have been scrambling to come up with plan; of course it will be a shambles and end up as a blunder. It will set back the progress of education in Thailand a few years at least.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My 3yo is now starting up Firefox on his mum's laptop, selecting a youtube video "The ABC Song" from the favourites list and surfing on from there to find all sorts of stuff interesting to a 3yo. Don't do The Kids down. Give them a chance, and they'll show far more intelligence than the older generations.

I'm not doing the kids down, the part of your post that I would highlight is "your 3yo"

A class full of children headed by a teacher with no experience of the technology is no way the same situation.

The first batch of tablets goes to first graders (about 6yo?) as far as I understand. Interesting indeed a class full of them.

Note that some youngsters may show remarkable ability even as three year olds, but the example given may not be the 'average Thai home/family environment'. Still many where mum doesn't have a laptopdry.png

Edited by rubl

Oh well this will create plenty of jobs for random useless wanna be technical folk in Thailand, they will be able to charge you a reasonable fee to fix your beloved tablet. This is not a jab at the Thais but a compliment that new jobs will be created. Best of luck. Im sure you will need it

My 3yo is now starting up Firefox on his mum's laptop, selecting a youtube video "The ABC Song" from the favourites list and surfing on from there to find all sorts of stuff interesting to a 3yo. Don't do The Kids down. Give them a chance, and they'll show far more intelligence than the older generations.

I'm not doing the kids down, the part of your post that I would highlight is "your 3yo"

A class full of children headed by a teacher with no experience of the technology is no way the same situation.

The first batch of tablets goes to first graders (about 6yo?) as far as I understand. Interesting indeed a class full of them.

Note that some youngsters may show remarkable ability even as three year olds, but the example given may not be the 'average Thai home/family environment'. Still many where mum doesn't have a laptopdry.png

Dont foget the reports of the rural folk already proposing that when the tablets arrive Jonny Farrang from the village has been promised it in exchange for a cash alternative as before mentioned rural folk apparenty said "I have 6 kids this is a good deal". No need for Mummy to have a laptop with such bargains to be had.

You stay classy

Edited by jambco984

Previously, the ministry decided to create content for Prathom-1 students and assigned the job to the Software Industry Promotion Agency (SIPA), Sasithara said. So far, e-textbooks for five subjects, namely science, maths, Thai and English language as well as social studies have been created along with 350 learning tools. She said e-textbooks would occupy half of the tablets' 8GB memory, which means students will still have enough space available for homework. Otherwise, she said, the ministry could use this space to provide lessons on morality and ethics.

8 GB! giggle.gif

I'm be more concerned with how the teachers are going to mark the homework - Imagine having to mark homework on for a class of 50 and each homework is on a tablet. I'm sure teachers can't wait!!!

Power on. username, password, "<deleted> caps lock is on" password again, wait 30 seconds to boot, now where has the homework been saved and under what file name....(1 - 10 minutes) ....aw <deleted> this for a game of soliders. turn off.

Next... (repeat 49 times)

A great idea in principle, but without the MoE setting up comprehensive and clear objectives for their use and providing the aging teacher population with training and support doomed to failure.

Somewhat akin to a man who has never played a musical instrument being asked to conduct an orchestra.

Or perhaps akin to someone commenting negatively on this project when they clearly haven't the slightest clue how these types of devices are used in education.

Do you think that when currently a student does some sort of assessable work on a computer, the teacher then needs to sit at the same computer to mark it?

Even printing or emailing work to markers is old-hat now. Cloud based, selective file sharing is easy and costs nothing. Zilch.

You're a goose.

cheesy.gif your having a laugh right This bunch of clowns could not sort a piss up in a brewery and you must know it. Id law a million baht bet that this whole thing will be a total joke. sure a few to save face might have some form of tablet but over 90% will get nothing nor deserve anything for believing this lot The thai teachers at our local school could not even know how to send an email let alone use a computer - amazing how naive and stupid some posters can be cheesy.gif

Or perhaps akin to someone commenting negatively on this project when they clearly haven't the slightest clue how these types of devices are used in education.

Do you think that when currently a student does some sort of assessable work on a computer, the teacher then needs to sit at the same computer to mark it?

Even printing or emailing work to markers is old-hat now. Cloud based, selective file sharing is easy and costs nothing. Zilch.

You're a goose.

You think they will have WiFi?

2000 schools still have no electricity.

They are almost fully stocked with chalk, however.

nothing wrong with chalk and a blackboard or even stick and sand Amongst other things I used to teach maths and computing Maths I can teach as well with chalk as with a computer In fact better Computers are a great learning tool but totally useless if as here the teachers dont know how to teach A friend of my wifes was a teacher and I believe quite good so of course she was promoted to office work and paid more to do basic clerical work than teach - Pathetic

not on a 2400 baht machine i bet My 4 year old niece uses her mothers iphone very well but thats 25,000 baht what do you think even with mass purchase etc your going to get for 2,400 and thats before all 10% are taken off so it probably costs less than 1000 baht

You're a goose.

With older students maybe, but hardly manageable with the age of the kids that this was aimed at.

Ducky.

If the project fails to give some basic teacher training, it will probably be at least a partial failure.

If you ever get out to provincial towns, uncle, it's worth your while spending half-an-hour locating any local internet cafes. You will be astonished by how many children are in there, waiting for their turn on one of the 'puters. Obviously, they are nearly always doing online gaming like kids everywhere do, but their computer and internet skills are beyond question. Now just think if those skills could be channeled correctly at school with the tablets.....It's unchartered territory, I know, but the potential is vast.

If you ever get out to provincial towns, uncle, it's worth your while spending half-an-hour locating any local internet cafes. You will be astonished by how many children are in there, waiting for their turn on one of the 'puters. Obviously, they are nearly always doing online gaming like kids everywhere do, but their computer and internet skills are beyond question. Now just think if those skills could be channeled correctly at school with the tablets.....It's unchartered territory, I know, but the potential is vast.

"If you ever get out to provincial towns, uncle, it's worth your while spending half-an-hour locating any local internet cafes. You will be astonished by how many children are in there, waiting for their turn on one of the 'puters."

oh, even in the provincial towns, ...

B)

Just think if those skills could be channeled at school correctly and not have the budget wasted on a cheap useless tablet for 5 year olds. With the money being wasted on this they could put a modern computer lab in every school in the country and offer courses to every child in the country. Kids could learn not only how to use computers and play games, but could learn to type, use word processors and spreadsheets, and they could offer basic programing and web design courses. They could be offering real skills to students instead of a toy for 5 year olds (actually for their parents)

Just think if those skills could be channeled at school correctly and not have the budget wasted on a cheap useless tablet for 5 year olds. With the money being wasted on this they could put a modern computer lab in every school in the country and offer courses to every child in the country. Kids could learn not only how to use computers and play games, but could learn to type, use word processors and spreadsheets, and they could offer basic programing and web design courses. They could be offering real skills to students instead of a toy for 5 year olds (actually for their parents)

Yes, computer labs, with all those extra opportunities to wash money, make far more sense than the simple and direct way of putting computer technology into childrens' hands that is the tablet. I can see where you're coming from rolleyes.gif .

Yes, computer labs, with all those extra opportunities to wash money, make far more sense than the simple and direct way of putting computer technology into childrens' hands that is the tablet. I can see where you're coming from rolleyes.gif .

It's putting a toy in to the hands of 5 year olds. They could be putting permanent computers in every school in the country that would benefit all students of all ages and help them develop real world work skills for young people entering the labour market. I can see how a free Angry Birds machine for parents would be more desirable for some than actual education though

It's putting a toy in to the hands of 5 year olds.

I disagree

They could be putting permanent computers in every school in the country that would benefit all students of all ages and help them develop real world work skills for young people entering the labour market. I can see how a free Angry Birds machine for parents would be more desirable for some than actual education though

As I pointed out, complicating this attempt at introducing modern technology into schools will multiply the graft issues that you tried to ridicule the tablet over. And the tablets, if used correctly, will more than adequately provide the template for useful IT skills. Let's save the cynicism for if/when it becomes appropriate. In the meantime, this scheme has legs.

You didn't point out anything, you simply declared it with no explanation or proof as to why a dozen computers in each school that would be locked inside a classroom is somehow more corrupt than handing out 1 million tablets to 5 year olds. It wouldn't be more corrupt, and would be far more beneficial to the actual students, which of course is compeltely irrelavent when compared to vote buying parents with Angry Birds.

You didn't point out anything, you simply declared it with no explanation or proof as to why a dozen computers in each school that would be locked inside a classroom is somehow more corrupt than handing out 1 million tablets to 5 year olds. It wouldn't be more corrupt, and would be far more beneficial to the actual students, which of course is compeltely irrelavent when compared to vote buying parents with Angry Birds.

Do "modern computer lab"s grow on trees?

which of course is compeltely irrelavent when compared to vote buying parents with Angry Birds.

Of course this is what is at the heart of it all. Right from the get-go when Yingluck was on the campaign trail waving about Samsung Galaxys. No great consideration as to the long term educational merits of the idea, just a way of appealing to the insatiable material hunger of a large number of voters.

It worked, for the purposes it was intended - a vote garnering gimmick.

What are all the extra opportunities?

The scam defenders are as cryptic and incoherent as details of the scam itself.

DP25 was on about building modern computer labs in every school. These cost a lot of money (ie: they don't grow on trees) and provide many opportunities for graft. Is that more simple for you?

No.

Tablets do?

What are all the extra opportunities?

Dear, oh dear, Rix. I know it's Sunday. Who gets to install these modern computer labs? Who gets to maintain them?

The scam defenders are as cryptic and incoherent as details of the scam itself.

DP25 was on about building modern computer labs in every school. These cost a lot of money (ie: they don't grow on trees) and provide many opportunities for graft. Is that more simple for you?

They may cost more money initially, but once set up, and with a bit of money spent on updating periodically, they stand to benefit a much greater number of students. So in the long run, less cost.

No.

Tablets do?

Have I stated that they do?

Dear, oh dear, Rix. I know it's Sunday. Who gets to install these modern computer labs? Who gets to maintain them?

You are saying that tablets are maintenance free? You are saying that every year, thousands of new tablets won't need to be bought?

No.

Tablets do?

Have I stated that they do?

Nobody stated that computer labs grew on trees.

You are saying that tablets are maintenance free? You are saying that every year, thousands of new tablets won't need to be bought?

I'm not saying either of those things. A tablet can be used anywhere in a school with one or a couple of wireless routers installed. A collection of desktops (which, individually, even for a basic model, cost multiples of the tablet) need a dedicated area (which DP25 envisions as being a costly, state-of-the-art room), which will restrict access and usage, just like we see in the provincial internet cafes. And,unless top of the range models are bought, new desktops will have to be bought every two or three years even at today's rates of development, so there's no real advantage over the tablet on that aspect.

No. They could pay for them instead of buying every 5 year in the country a tablet. You can buy a cheap desktop PC for $200. They are spending $70 million on tablets for 900,000 first graders. Instead they could buy 350,000 desktop PCs and install them in every school in the country so every student could use them.