Reentry Permits At Suanplu

The facility to obtain a Reentry permit from Suanplu rather than Chaengwattana is a godsend for many of us. But the facility requires that an e-mail is sent 24 hours before turning up.

...but the Immigration Staff are exactly as incompetent as you would expect, so be ready for it. I arrived and they duly informed me they had not received an e-mail from me. They also told the other 2 farang in the room. The laotians and burmese watched with a detached bemusement.

The immigration staff after a little persuading let me look at their computer. And sure enough, hidden in the 'trash' of their e-mail system were our Reentry permit applications. (note: their e-mail system has a Trash Box and Spam Box, so make sure you insist on checking them both)

...they immediately then gave us our permits. They had just told the Japanese lady, despite her flying the next day, they would not give her a permit. Once they saw her name in the Trash box, they sorted out the paperwork without any inspection of the contents of her e-mail.

...so we now know, the e-mail serves no other purpose than as an obstacle to deter visits from farang to Suanplu. They did not use the e-mails we sent, but simply determined whether to help us by whether we sent them. Another farang who walked in was immediately denied any assistance when he said he sent no e-mail.

...there is another reason for going to Suanplu, besides the location, the staff are strikingly beautiful now. It is almost implausible. See you there.

coffee1.gif Just the opposite for me. Suan Plu is on the other site of Bangkok... two hours through heavy traffic for me.

Chaeng Wattana is usually a 15 to 30 minute taxi ride from my house. Easy to get to also.

licklips.gif

...but since my post above, nobody chooses by the traffic problems, they choose on the basis of the looks of the officers.

Just an observation from an ICT guy...

Mail systems can be configured to automatically "trash" spam. If this was the case, there wouldn't be anything in their spam box.

Therefore, for something to end up in "trash" it has to be put there, manually.

Now, it could be that they ended up in "spam", and somebody hit the delete button on the contents of the spam folder without bothering to check if there were any valid messages in there. Or, they could have hit delete from the inbox... clap2.gif

Thank your lucky stars they hadn't emptied the trash...

If I was you I'd ask for a "delivery" and "read" receipt next time you mail them, then print them out along with the original message, before you go...

(Unfortunately not all mail systems honor sending delivered or read reports, your mileage may vary)

Went there this morning, pretty busy and it took 50 mins from arrival until walking out with my permit.

Seemed to be mainly nationals of the Indian Sub-Continent, who needed everything explaining, which was done politely and patiently, there were a few western backpacker types non of which seemed to have sent an email in advance, non of whom encountered a problem, and the question of applying in advance wasn't mentioned to me.

I should probably mention that the drop dead gorgeous staff don't seem to work on Saturdays, well not this Saturday anyway.

This worries me a little because I am planning to get a re-entry at Swampy when I leave the country. Last time I checked it was still possible, I don't know why anyone would want to waste time going to immigration, when I see threads like this it makes me wonder how long the airport will keep the system in place if it is not supported, and how I will know if it is discontinued.

I don't know why anyone would want to waste time going to immigration, when I see threads like this it makes me wonder how long the airport will keep the system in place if it is not supported,

Because I have a 06.00 flight and the airport facility isn't open in time to enable me to take advantage of it.

If I had got a problem at Suanplu, which is near where I live, I could have still gone to Chaengwattana, which is a hike, if I couldn't get one at the airport I would be scuppered.

This worries me a little because I am planning to get a re-entry at Swampy when I leave the country. Last time I checked it was still possible, I don't know why anyone would want to waste time going to immigration, when I see threads like this it makes me wonder how long the airport will keep the system in place if it is not supported, and how I will know if it is discontinued.

The immigration office position on this is that they may or may not offer the facility to you. I have seen the facility closed during the daytime hours. You are taking a risk.

The immigration office position on this is that they may or may not offer the facility to you. I have seen the facility closed during the daytime hours. You are taking a risk.

Well that being the case then I shall abandon my plan and go to Jeng Wattana I suppose. If there is any doubt, then there is no doubt.Thanks to you both.

So I gather by the above posts that if you are in Bangkok and flying out, C Wattana is the first choice with no prior email required.

Suan Plu is the second choice with a prior email and perhaps a lesson in them finding your email.

The airport is a last resort, with a chance that they may not want to open.

Not a very good situation is it? At least when we were made to go to our local office, you knew where you stood!

P.S. How is the email drafted and addressed to....Is there a form or do you just scrawl some details.

If in the last desperate case, what would be the safest time to attempt the task at the airport.

Edited by fishhooks

Thanks Mario,

I have just received a new passport here in Australia as the original with my current Retirement Ext and Re-entry was almost full.

I realize that I must show the new and old passports with Immigration on arrival back in BKK in a few weeks time.

However I need to depart and re-enter Thailand twice before my next normal extension date in April, thus I will need 2 re-entry permits, hence my former question above here.

Will I still be able to enter the kingdom and maintain retirement status with the former passport for these 2 trips out, given that these trips are still prior to normal extension renewal?

I have asked this similar question in another place dealing with Khon Kaen Immigration, wondering if they will do extensions more than 1 month early to save the dual passport hassle, but have received no answer. I would need the extension done about 40 days early.

I shouldn't think it necessary to get the current stamps transferred into the new passport for the sake of about 1 month.

Edited by fishhooks

Your permission to stay will be tranferred to the new passport, either on arrival in BKk or they will tel you to visit your immigration office. (Your old passport is presumably cancelled and no longer valid if they have punched holes in it or cut of the corners. Just present both passports to immigration).

You can ask them to do the extension early, take proof of traveling abroad with you. Some immirgation offices will give the extensions early if there is a need, but cannot say for K.K. immigration. Smile and try, you need to go there anyway for the re-entry permit.

In the hopeful case that they transfer the permission to stay on arrival at Bangkok A/P to the new passport, does it follow that I can also get the re-entry's required also in Bangkok proper or at the airport for the 2 departures needed?

If not transferred on arrival at the airport, can I get the stamps transferred in Bangkok to the new passport, together with re-entry's?

Or, am I definitely faced with a trip to Khon Kaen before travelling out again?

Sorry to be a 'pain'. It means a special trip Bangkok/KK/Bangkok over only a few days just for a stamp transfer if they won't do my next 1 year renewal early by about 35 days on that visit.

Thank you muchly.

Edited by fishhooks

Chiang Wattana will not issue, maybe and that is a very maybe, the stop and stamp service at Suan Plu will. I'm simply not sure if they also only opperate for persons residing in Bangkok or for everyone. You must e-mail your application for a re-entry permit in adavnace to them.

At the airport you can only get a re-entry permit after you have checked-in and received your boarding pass, they will not give you in advance.

Okay, thanks again, so I take it if Suan Plu "maybe" will issue, it means they will do the stamp transfer to the new passport or should I still hope for this to be done by Immigration on arrival back to Thailand in a couple of weeks?

Is there a special form to be emailed to Suan Plu or do I email the normal completed form?

I am attempting to work this out myself.

On reading the info on the Suan Plu site, I cannot forsee a problem in getting the required re-entry permit there, but this would only be possible if they will in the first instance do the stamp transfer if the airport does not.

With my limited knowledge and reading of this subject I can only deduce that a stamp transfer is a 'fairly normal' occurence outside of your normal office area, or am I wrong and this transfer should go to your normal office.

I do understand the situation re emailing the TM8 in advance, but this will only be of use if I can be fairly sure of getting the stamp transfer as well.

I have a really tight turn-around and my apologies for overly asking for help.

Edited by fishhooks