Birthday Party At The Down Under Bar

IanForbes

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aussie's love to take the Mick out of anyone and Stuart at the 69 Bar and Down Under is like that he is a great bloke grew up here in Perth

I first mistook him for a Pom but soon sorted that out.

He is a very welcoming host and it is a pity that i can manage to have two beers or so then leave.

Good and bad in all people depends where you hang out and what ppl you run into and the only bad thing about Stuart is that he follows the wrong Aussie Rules team lol

Well, we DID have a good time tonight and it was still happening when I left at 11:30. Nice to see Winnie the Kwai there enjoying the fun. Aussies and Brits DO like to rib each other, and any bystander could be confused into thinking they actually meant what they said. One fellow brought his young son of about 7 or 8 years old and the kid seemed to enjoy himself. I sure envy the energy of youth. They go full bore until they finally drop from exhaustion. Then they sleep like angels.

If you think the Poms and Aussies like to get stuck into each other you should see what happens when the Aussies get together with Kiwis - a lot of discussion about Kiwis sexual preference for sheep.

Also, I don't know why a Yank should be getting stuck into Australians. We have fought beside them (often foolishly) in just about every war since independence. Most R&R boys during Vietnam, the American War as the Vietnanese call it, thought Australians OK as they turned up in their thousands and were made welcome.

"often foolishly", shouldn't that read "always foolishly"? Think about it.

With the possible exception of the American War of Independence that is.

Were Australians really involved? I didn't even think Australia existed as an entity in the 1770's. I thought it was called New Holland or something like that, with a few scattered outposts of debauched Dutchmen brewing their own schnapps and getting it on with Abos of both sexes. Anyway, maybe you know something I don't.

You could have used some homegrown freedom fighters of your own by the 1870's and 80's when Australia developed into a country.

A revolutionary generation is simply one that possesses brains and balls.

The brains to understand that they are being exploited, and the balls to do something about it.

But you, like your colonail cousins all over the world allowed yourselves to be emasculated.

And following generations compensate for it by mouthing-off in pubs by night and by trolling internet forums by day.

"Male Chauvinist Pig" was a phrase coined back in the 60's.

"If the shoe fits wear it" is another one that goes back even farther.

That said, I was amused to read your little thesis, ajahn.

Overgrown children predominate expat communities everywhere and they don't all come from Down Under by any means.

There are attitudes and types of groupthink , Siberias, Canadas, and Australias of the mind that stunt the growth of even the most intelligent and talented of people who allow themselves to fall under their influence.

These clueless farangs have come down on Chiang Mai like a plague of locusts.

• Like 1

"Male Chauvinist Pig" was a phrase coined back in the 60's.

"If the shoe fits wear it" is another one that goes back even farther.

That said, I was amused to read your little thesis, ajahn.

Overgrown children predominate expat communities everywhere and they don't all come from Down Under by any means.

There are attitudes and types of groupthink , Siberias, Canadas, and Australias of the mind that stunt the growth of even the most intelligent and talented of people who allow themselves to fall under their influence.

These clueless farangs have come down on Chiang Mai like a plague of locusts.

No, it doesn't fit.

My foot wouldn't come close to filling M. Chauvin's oversized jackboot.

But to sink metaphor...

I've loved women all my life.

I've loved them to the point of folly in many cases.

Even now, in spite of this "villainous old age that makes me so unfit for love", as Casanova lamented when he was about my age. I love them still.

But to stay on topic; Why don't you celebrate your next birthday among Australians at the Down Under?

Who knows, familiarity might breed something unexpected.

A philo- Australian AnnaBanana perhaps.

clueless farangs have come down on Chiang Mai like a plague of locusts.

Aint that the truth. Good one! thumbsup.gif

EDIT: It's not really the clueless part that I mind so much, but that neo-colonialist attitude where they think they know it all, and that it's the locals who are clueless..

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I generally like hanging with the Aussies, though after the first beer it gets very hard to understand what they are saying. If I hear a a reference to "septics" ....end of conversation and all contact with that individual.

I may be naive Brother, but what does "septic" mean in this context?

I generally like hanging with the Aussies, though after the first beer it gets very hard to understand what they are saying. If I hear a a reference to "septics" ....end of conversation and all contact with that individual.

I may be naive Brother, but what does "septic" mean in this context?

Boys and girls, today we are going to learn about slang.

Rhyming slang. Australian rhyming slang.

Our first word will be "septic" or 'seppo" as it is sometimes written and pronounced.

This is used for Americans, who are also known as "Yanks".

"Septic" comes from "septic tank". Tank / Yank. Get it?

And a septic tank is full of what? Poo-poo. Yes, that's right.

If you are ever called a septic or seppo the best answer is:

"Sticks and stones will break my bones,

but words can never hurt me".

Experience has taught me that the type of person that would use an offensive term for a nationality (septic) is best avoided. Learn some manners if you are to venture out in the world. As I said, I like Aussies, the polite one don't use that expressian.

Edited by daoyai

Experience has taught me that the type of person that would use an offensive term for a nationality (septic) is best avoided. Learn some manners if you are to venture out in the world. As I said, I like Aussies, the polite one don't use that expressian.

LOL..! Come on, 'septic' is just a bit of banter to refer to those stuck on the wrong side of the Atlantic. Like 'Pom' / 'Pommie' is for Brits.

Anyway.. I bet you have strong (and entertaining) views on the word 'Farang' too? Or?

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Well, we DID have a good time tonight and it was still happening when I left at 11:30. Nice to see Winnie the Kwai there enjoying the fun. Aussies and Brits DO like to rib each other, and any bystander could be confused into thinking they actually meant what they said. One fellow brought his young son of about 7 or 8 years old and the kid seemed to enjoy himself. I sure envy the energy of youth. They go full bore until they finally drop from exhaustion. Then they sleep like angels.

If you think the Poms and Aussies like to get stuck into each other you should see what happens when the Aussies get together with Kiwis - a lot of discussion about Kiwis sexual preference for sheep.

Also, I don't know why a Yank should be getting stuck into Australians. We have fought beside them (often foolishly) in just about every war since independence. Most R&R boys during Vietnam, the American War as the Vietnanese call it, thought Australians OK as they turned up in their thousands and were made welcome.

To claim or imply Australian involvement in the American Revolution is ridiculous and shouldn't go unchallenged.

A people who never fought for their own freedom would be unlikely to fight for anybody elses.

That is, even if their country did exist in 1776. Which it didn't.

Gringo, to give the Devil his due, was spot-on about New Holland and the Dutch.

Who was Janzoon? Who was Tasman? Who was Thijssen? Who was deVlamingh? What was New Zealand named after?

Captain Cook was late on the scene and it was only because the Dutch were in decline by the end of the 18th century that things turned out the way they did. With England acquiring a home-away-from-home for it's undesirables.

The name-change to Australia wasn't official until 1824, and it didn't become a recognizable country until the middle of the 19th century.

That was the time they should have got up off their knees and stood on their own feet.

But as pointed out earlier, a revolutionary generation didn't exist. Brains and balls were conspicuous by their abscence.

The result was a history of surly obedience and the legacy of a dismissed-lackey nastiness that persists to this day.

To claim or imply Australian involvement in the American Revolution is ridiculous and shouldn't go unchallenged.

A people who never fought for their own freedom would be unlikely to fight for anybody elses.

That is, even if their country did exist in 1776. Which it didn't.

Gringo, to give the Devil his due, was spot-on about New Holland and the Dutch.

Who was Janzoon? Who was Tasman? Who was Thijssen? Who was deVlamingh? What was New Zealand named after?

Captain Cook was late on the scene and it was only because the Dutch were in decline by the end of the 18th century that things turned out the way they did. With England acquiring a home-away-from-home for it's undesirables.

The name-change to Australia wasn't official until 1824, and it didn't become a recognizable country until the middle of the 19th century.

That was the time they should have got up off their knees and stood on their own feet.

But as pointed out earlier, a revolutionary generation didn't exist. Brains and balls were conspicuous by their abscence.

The result was a history of surly obedience and the legacy of a dismissed-lackey nastiness that persists to this day.

I thought this topic was about a birthday party. rolleyes.gif

Aussie's love to take the Mick out of anyone and Stuart at the 69 Bar and Down Under is like that he is a great bloke grew up here in Perth

I first mistook him for a Pom but soon sorted that out.

He is a very welcoming host and it is a pity that i can manage to have two beers or so then leave.

Good and bad in all people depends where you hang out and what ppl you run into and the only bad thing about Stuart is that he follows the wrong Aussie Rules team lol

And Stewart set me straight the other night. His name is Stewart and not Stuart as I first called him. If he was Thai they would have some strange way of calling him Stewart instead of Stuart. Great, easy going bloke by any name you call him.