Tax On Cigarettes To Be Hiked

george

Tax on cigarettes to be hiked

BANGKOK: -- Smokers will have to pay a further Bt5 to Bt8 per pack of cigarettes, as the government has decided to impose a higher excise tax as part of its anti-smoking campaign. The excise tax, raised from 75 to 79 per cent with immediate impact, will raise Bt2-3 billion in additional annual tax revenue for the country, director-general of the Revenue Department Utid Tamvatin said.

The tax hike will raise locally-made cigarettes by Bt5 to Bt6 per pack while imported cigarettes’ may rise by Bt7 to Bt8. Among imported cigarettes, Mild Sevens now quotes the highest retail price at Bt60. Meanwhile, the best-selling local brand, Krongthip, sells for Bt35 a pack.

“The tax hike including other health-promotion measures might reduce sales of the Thailand Tobacco Monopoly by 10 to 12 per cent,” Utid said.

The increase took effect at midnight, but the department may ask sales agents to hold off on the retail price adjustment for a few days until old stocks are sold.

The increase will be lauded as another victory for anti-smokers following the Public Health Ministry’s recent push to get cigarettes removed from sight at retail outlets.

The tax increase was imposed on the same day the Cabinet approved a Finance Ministry proposal to slash import tariffs on sport products for professional players and sporting officials.

However, the general public would not benefit from this, to protect local manufacturers, the ministry’s spokesman Somchai Sujjapongse said.

Products eligible for tariff cuts are mostly imported with the approval from the Tourism and Sports Ministry, and include sportswear, bags, hats, and sports equipment not produced locally, he noted. The ministry did not reveal how this tariff cut would affect national income.

--The Nation 2005-12-07

Hooray!! Money talks.... Put enough tax on the stinking death sticks and more people will realize that it really is possible to quit. This makes more sense than hiding them from view in retail outlets. Smokers, just think of all the extra money you will have when you stop sending your baht up in smoke to enrich the tobacco companies.

The sticks are still much cheaoer than those on sale in western countries.

Hooray!!  Money talks.... Put enough tax on the stinking death sticks and more people will realize that it really is possible to quit.

Are we really sure that the motive of this hike is to protect public health ?

I believe that the thai gvt is on the verge of an "europeanization" regarding its fiscal policy : more and more taxes, because the cash box is empty due to more and more expenses...

The rumor of a VAT increase last month was another sign. Along the dispute about the increase in borrowing limit by the gvt (end of november).

The King talked about this situation (over spending) in his birth day speech...

For me it's another sign.

I'm a smoker, so I'm not over the moon about it :o Still ciggies are still very cheap compared to the UK though.

I think someone in the Govt has been talking to a certain Mr brown, all those that like a bevy or 10, it's your turn next :D And no, I'm not a drinker.

My Thai neighbor said that next year they are going to increase the price of cigarettes to 100 baht a pack. I didn't think much about it as I don't smoke. Then he said currently he is paying 26 baht now per pack. :o

Not sure how accurate his information is as he was piss drunk off alittle of the ole Thai Vodka. :D

On a side note, He was celebrating his fish tourney victory where he caught a 2.6 kilo catfish and won a big trophy and 2000 baht.

:D

Good news for me as I'm thinking of trying to quit. This might just be the deciding factor - if they are up to 100 baht a pack. I pay 55 baht now for malboro.

But, what about the old guys?

My neighbour has been smoking for f'ing years. He makes 100-200 baht a day when he works. He likes to work for a few days, especially at this time of year(harvest) and come home and have a little dram and a smoke. How the h ell is he going to do that now. Can you imagine if the Uk made fags the same amount as a days work?

What about the retirees? Worked hard all there life and enjoy there smokes. I guess this govt doesn't think of them. Old grandad has raised 10 kids and has 30 grandkids and loves his smokes - who are you to tell/force him to stop? This taxing is forcing some people to stop.

If I were an old smoker on a limited pesion, I'd sue Toxin for messing with my rights.

Since when has the Thai Govt, or the UK for that matter, bothered too much about it's people? This is not about health, it's about money, the coffers are drying up and it's got to come from somewhere, cigarettes are only the first hit.

This could head into a smoker v non smoker 'discussion', and there are plenty of arguments each way (I'm waiting to be slagged off now!) so I'll wait and see what goes down.

My neighbour has been smoking for f'ing years. He makes 100-200 baht a day when he works. He likes to work for a few days, especially at this time of year(harvest) and come home and have a little dram and a smoke. How the h ell is he going to do that now.
Pouches of tobacco are sold for 3-5 Baht presently, and the gyus roll anything from 20-30 fags from it. That might of course go up to 4-6 Baht. :o

My neighbour has been smoking for f'ing years. He makes 100-200 baht a day when he works. He likes to work for a few days, especially at this time of year(harvest) and come home and have a little dram and a smoke. How the h ell is he going to do that now.
Pouches of tobacco are sold for 3-5 Baht presently, and the gyus roll anything from 20-30 fags from it. That might of course go up to 4-6 Baht. :D

The father in law usually smokes the pipe on the farm, but on trips into the city prefers to have brand name cigs. I guess he thinks he looks cooler with a camel cig in his mouth then a pipe. He always lets me know when his camel stash is running low, 4 cartons gets him a long way as he doesn't venture into town much.

I was also looking at my neighbors pack of menthol cigarettes, not sure the brand name but the image on the front was a man with a cigarette and a cloud of smoke around his head holding a baby in his arms. :o

Seems they could have come up with a better image than that to sell some smokes. :D

You'll find these lovely pics on all cigarette pakcs in Thailand, they are imposed as part of the gov's anti-smoking campaign.

It's supposed to make people feel bad about smoking. :D

I can't believe the government would/could control pictures going on a pack of smokes? :o

Although I can't think of a reason that a tobacco company would put that image on their cigs. :D

You'll find these lovely pics on all cigarette pakcs in Thailand, they are imposed as part of the gov's anti-smoking campaign.

It's supposed to make people feel bad about smoking. :D

I can't believe the government would/could control pictures going on a pack of smokes? :o

Although I can't think of a reason that a tobacco company would put that image on their cigs. :D

Yes, the horrible pictures of what can and probably will happen to you if you keep on smoking cigarettes are supposed to make you feel bad about turning yourself into a nicotine ingesting machine. Don't you have anything better to do with your life, or your money? I'm really curious about how this incredibly powerful drug affects the brains of you smokers. When you pull out your pack of cancer sticks, do you avoid looking at the picture? Do you really feel good about what you are doing to yourself?? Does the "high" you get from nicotine really compensate for the damage cigarettes are doing to your body, and your wallet?

Yes, the horrible pictures of what can and probably will happen to you if you keep on smoking cigarettes are supposed to make you feel bad about turning yourself into a nicotine ingesting machine. Don't you have anything better to do with your life, or your money? I'm really curious about how this incredibly powerful drug affects the brains of you smokers. When you pull out your pack of cancer sticks, do you avoid looking at the picture? Do you really feel good about what you are doing to yourself?? Does the "high" you get from nicotine really compensate for the damage cigarettes are doing to your body, and your wallet?

It's an old one mate :o:D:D

I can afford 2 packs a week and live with the damage this destructive drug is doing to my brain, wallet and the lives of those around me. :D

I allowed myself to become a nicotine digesting machine who takes no interest in anything else, ever since my first cigarette. I choose to ignore the fact, that I'll more than likely have open-heart surgery or a leg amputated.

Maybe I should be arrested for posing such a danger to myself and society as a whole? :o

One shouldn't dig all the propaganda by the anti-smoking lobby, least of all the badly made, posed pics on the packets.

They may become collector's items in a few years, though! :D

The gov't non-smoking campaign worked for me. It was positively embarassing every time I took out a pack of cigarettes with those horrible pictures on them. Then they hid the cigarettes, so I am standing at the counter trying to get my favorite brand and getting the old "mai mee", so try a different brand and still "mai mee". I finally decided to hel_l with it and stopped.

It's just too much of a hassle to smoke now. I do sometimes miss them, though.