5Th Annual Chiang Mai Toyride Main Event

silverhawk_usa

It's time for the big one! This is our 5th annual main event. Please come join us for a day of fun and excitement.

Don't forget there are prizes for the "Best Decorated Motorcycle". That means decorated with toys, games or gifts for children or in a "toy ride theme".

(Just a tip; small or medium size toys go a lot further than oversize toys of stuffed animals which most the children can't fit in their home. icon_thumbup.gif)

TAKE A RIDE. GIVE A TOY. BRING A SMILE.

Chiang Mai ToyRide 2012: helping children in need with charity motorcycle parade, party, live music, games and toy giveaway!

Chiang Mai, Thailand – 19 February 2012: On this festive Sunday morning, hundreds of riders on motorcycles of all types and sizes, laden with toys, games and stuffed animals, will parade through Chiang Mai and then create a massive pile of toys to be given to boys, girls and babies in need. Following the ride to the X-Centre Zorb Ball field, the charity party kicks off at noon with music for kids, a rock 'n' blues band for adults, clowns, magicians, games and prizes for the kids, food for sale from local vendors, awards for best decorated bikes and, once again, the highlight of every year’s event: the toy giveaway to the children!

All motorcyclists are invited to join the event whether their bikes are large or small. And there’s no admission charge: just bring along a new toy to warm a needy child’s heart. No Motorcycle? We welcome you no matter how you get there.

• Annual Charity Motorcycle Ride and Party on Sunday, 19 February 2012

• Motorcycles of all sizes and riders of all ages are welcome!

• 9:45 am – meet at Tesco Khamtien for the ride/parade through Chiang Mai (51km total)

• Noon – party at X-Centre Zorb Ball near Mae Rim with music, games, and toy giveaway

• Admission/donation: one new toy and a great big smile!

It’s not just about the toys. With the generous donations from our sponsors and riders, we have given away hundreds of toys and blankets, athletic equipment, medical supplies and food to hundreds of children and their families. In 2009 we expanded our giving with our “Playgrounds Plus” program, which provides new playground equipment, educational and athletic supplies, or construction necessary for the well being of the students. These donations are individually tailored to each needy location, targeting kids who are “under the radar.” Besides our main fundraising event, donations from individuals and businesses fund our Playgrounds Plus events throughout the year, as well as our annual Christmas Eve Giveaway in the acute care wards at Chiang Mai’s Maharaj Hospital when ailing kids get a visit from Santa bearing bags of stuffed animals.

The Chiang Mai ToyRide committee (an international group of riders and non-riders from Thailand, Canada, England, Australia, Germany and America) has staged successful annual rides since 2008. Toys, goods and other charitable donations are gathered and distributed by the committee in the form of goods, not cash, after interviewing recipients, on site, to assess their real, tangible needs. Headline sponsors for 2012 are Tesco-Lotus, GT-Rider, Richco Motor Sports, the Chiang Mai X-Centre, Impulse Tourism, Parklane Systems, Geokon and Code Electric, plus major sponsors listed on our web site, banners, posters and t-shirts.

If you’d like more information, please visit www.chiangmaitoyride.com or email [email protected]. To schedule an interview, become a sponsor, or donate to the children, please contact us. Online donations may also be given on our website through PayPal, which also takes most major credit cards.

Please come join us and help us "Helping Children in Need!"

The big event is tomorrow and we hope to see you all there as this is our main fundraising event for the year and the success of this ride determines how much we can help these disadvantaged children throughout the upcoming year.

9:45AM Meet at Tesco Lotus Khamtien for the ride/parade through Chiang Mai, ending up at the X-Centre in Mae Rim

Looks like the weather will cooperate and not be too hot

Too bad they don't have a map for for the start of the toy run and the route. I could not find Tesco Khamtien. I looked on the Tesco site and saw a map of about 100 Tesco stores but I know that only 2 of them are the main centers. One is the big store on the Hang Dong road that I'm familiar with, and I don't have a clue where the Tesco Khamtien is. All the rest are the little convenience stores scattered throughout Chiang Mai. I live on the south end of town and seldom explore north of town unless I'm heading FAR north.

I bought a 1000 baht worth of toys for the kids and took off in plenty of time to what I thought was the Tesco Khamtien main store, but it turned out to be a little convenience store next to a gas station. I was 1/3 the way to Mae Rim by then... and frustrated. I asked several Thais along the way and got blank stares. Finally I came home. I don't need to go to a party where I don't Know anyone, but I did want to help out. I only learned about the toy ride yesterday and didn't have time to ask anyone how to get to Tesco Khamtien. I just assumed it would be obvious... and as everyone knows, assumptions are not worth buffalo dung.

If I could make a suggestion, please add a map next year so foreigners like me can see where to go. Yes, I know I could get back on my bike and ride up to Mae Rim and MAYBE find the location of the party, but maybe I might ride right by it and end up in Samoeng. I would do it except I have friends arriving today from the south and I don't have time to go on another jaunt.

As far as all the toys I bought for this event I'll just take a bike ride up Doe Sutthep some day and deliver them in person to the hill tribe kids.

There is a map clearly on the website quoted in 2 posts. Tesco kamtieng is the big one on the highway.

Just ride up to the x centre on the mar rim road (map on the website) and deliver the toys and join in with the fun.

I tried twice to log onto the site and both times I got a blank screen and a no connection indication. Maybe it was just the fault of local internet connection. Next year I'll be a bit better prepared if I learn early enough.

I just tried to log on again and still get the "Outlook Express can not find webpage"

If you’d like more information, please visit www.chiangmaitoyride.com
Edited by IanForbes

Just got back from the 5th annual Chiang Mai Toy Ride, it was a huge success.

There were "quite" a few bikes as you can see from the photo below:

6901245063_361bbb76c4_b.jpg

The kids all had a wonder ful time

6901151471_8a0fe56d63_b.jpg

FULL STORY ON THE EVENT IN THE RIDER'S CORNER LINK BELOW:

http://rideasia.net/...9763.html#p9763

Some great photo's of the event in the link above

Edited by RidersCorner
  • Like 1

Great Toy Ride this year. Thanks for making the ride at a safe speed and all the work you guys did to make for a great party.

Sorry to say the kids kicked butt again this year in the Tug of War. Got great video footage of the adults being dragged along the ground by the kids it was fun to watch, lol.

Alot of fun.

Look forward to the next ride.

Sorry I missed it, but had other commitments this afternoon and I didn't have time to retrace my steps after the initial mixup on my part.

Ian, I am very sorry you weren't able to make it to the event. We have a map and turn by turn directions on the website, and link to google maps, along with the description;

Map of Chiang Mai ToyRide Events

Chiang Mai ToyRide 2012 will start from the Tesco Lotus-Kamtieng, which is located on the Super Highway (Rte 11) just north of the city.

The website is functioning as I write this, so I don't know what problem you may have run into with the internet. Perhaps you could join us on one of our upcoming giveaway events which we will hold later in the year. I hate to have someone disappointed in not being able to attend for whatever reason.

Edit: I have tried the link to our website which is in the original post on this page, along with the quote Ian included and there is a problem with it. The web url is correct but the link on this page did not work. Sorry Ian.

A big thank you to all who did attend or who donated prior to the event to help make it a success. There was great food available from Chiang Mai EuroDiner, X-Centre and The Duke's. John Nash and his band was as entertaining as ever, (yes, we did arrange legal permits for everyone volunteering) smile.png. our usual clowns, games and entertainment for all and lots of participation. Cheers!

Edited by silverhawk_usa

Well the toys I bought all found good homes with children who don't have a fathers. It was a pleasure to see the joy on their little faces. Too bad I'm not allowed to post photos.

I'll be sure to get my affairs in order for next years run and I won't screw up again.

Well the toys I bought all found good homes with children who don't have a fathers. It was a pleasure to see the joy on their little faces. Too bad I'm not allowed to post photos.

I'll be sure to get my affairs in order for next years run and I won't screw up again.

I am glad your toys did some good. I look forward to seeing you at one of our events.

I believe Ian is correct, I also looked to get the map from the web site over the 2 days prior to no avail on 5 or 6 attempts - the link did not work !

I do hope this issue can be sorted as I chose not to drive in circles - but Im ready for the next time.

I believe Ian is correct, I also looked to get the map from the web site over the 2 days prior to no avail on 5 or 6 attempts - the link did not work !

I do hope this issue can be sorted as I chose not to drive in circles - but Im ready for the next time.

Did you only try the link on this page from my original post? That does not work. I apologized to Ian for that, above. Did you try entering the url directly into your browser or perhaps do a search? If that also failed, please let me know so I can try and sort it out. Thanks. CMTR Maps