2012 Cbr 1000 Rr

SumetCycle

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Generally I know a lot of the guys here don't mind but I'd not want to deal with the older import bikes, getting parts, warranty, etc are all going to be a hassle. Noooooo thank you.

Better jump on a brand new bike with dealer support.... If I'd get my first 1000 cc bike I'd maybe not mind if it "only" had 120hp. But then I am a newb wink.png

Congrats on that beauty smile.png

Agreed, not worth the hassle. I want everything to be fully legit and have parts easily available for a reasonable price. If I was to buy a litre bike in Thailand I would go for the Z1000 as it is the only one available where the price nearly resembles the bike you are getting. I don't want a naked street bike, so it looks like I won't be getting a litre bike here any time soon!

The Versys is still by far the best bike available in Thailand considering all around usability and price, in my opinion.

Edited by madjbs

Generally I know a lot of the guys here don't mind but I'd not want to deal with the older import bikes, getting parts, warranty, etc are all going to be a hassle. Noooooo thank you.

Better jump on a brand new bike with dealer support.... If I'd get my first 1000 cc bike I'd maybe not mind if it "only" had 120hp. But then I am a newb wink.png

It's a good point about the peace of mind of having full dealer support but I have to wonder in reality what sort of spare parts inventory Honda Thailand will carry for this bike, and how experienced their mechanics will be with big bikes. I know guys with imported Yamaha big bikes (bought from the main dealer in BKK) and when they need a spare part then Yamaha just import it for them and it can take several weeks. I believe the same was true with the ZX10's bought from Kawasaki. Hopefully Honda will do a better job with this, it might depend on how many they sell though.

Anyway, just to re-iterate Submaniac's point I'm not intending to be overly negative, just discussing the relative merits as we do with all new bike releases in LOS jap.gif .

It's a good point about the peace of mind of having full dealer support but I have to wonder in reality what sort of spare parts inventory Honda Thailand will carry for this bike, and how experienced their mechanics will be with big bikes. I know guys with imported Yamaha big bikes (bought from the main dealer in BKK) and when they need a spare part then Yamaha just import it for them and it can take several weeks. I believe the same was true with the ZX10's bought from Kawasaki. Hopefully Honda will do a better job with this, it might depend on how many they sell though.

Anyway, just to re-iterate Submaniac's point I'm not intending to be overly negative, just discussing the relative merits as we do with all new bike releases in LOS jap.gif .

Yes, it will be interesting to see how the spare part situation plays out when the Big Wing Center opens. I've been told that the technicians that will do the service there have already been to Japan for training. They are also have been undergoing continuous training here. Honda's reputation will be on the line when the Big Wing Center opens. I'm sure they realize this, and will get it right.

Also, I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and support. I was actually expecting about 10 pages of flames.

Yes, it will be interesting to see how the spare part situation plays out when the Big Wing Center opens. I've been told that the technicians that will do the service there have already been to Japan for training. They are also have been undergoing continuous training here. Honda's reputation will be on the line when the Big Wing Center opens. I'm sure they realize this, and will get it right.

Also, I would like to thank everyone for their kind words and support. I was actually expecting about 10 pages of flames.

according to many reviews its one of the best litre bikes money can buy ,dont worry about the restriction ,120 hp is loads more than enough to drive on public roads ESPECIALLY in thailand

and theres always the option to get it de-restricted when the 2 year warranty runs out :)

Agreed, not worth the hassle. I want everything to be fully legit and have parts easily available for a reasonable price. If I was to buy a litre bike in Thailand I would go for the Z1000 as it is the only one available where the price nearly resembles the bike you are getting. I don't want a naked street bike, so it looks like I won't be getting a litre bike here any time soon!

The funny thing is, you guys talk about parts supply as if the official dealers keep a warehouse of spare parts for their imported bikes, but unfortunately here in Thailand, they don't.

Friends with busted Yamahas, Triumphs, Ducatis and BMW's here in Thailand all complain about having to wait weeks, and sometimes MONTHS for spare parts to arrive in Thailand. This applies to imported Kawasakis too I'm afraid.

So, don't think that just because you're buying from an official dealer that parts availability will be any faster than if you ordered them yourself.

Ride On!

Tony

• Like 1

Congrat's on you bike, no flaming just jealous, would love one now, it's kinda still in the gut-basement, one has to know their limitations though as one Clint once said.

This has been a great bike from day one, it was full out hang to ya <deleted> excitment when released in Feb '92, I bought my Blade 900 in April 1992, kept it for 12years, it had the twin headlights which made it look a bit like an RC45 roadbike which very few could afford.

They wrote history and held on to it for 6 years, Honda kept mellowing it down bit by bit making it user friendly, until I think at Honda's relief the R1 came to be called the window-maker.

Bought a later 2002 Blade 929 fuel injected, it seemed a different bike to me, so easy to ride.

I use to get genuine Honda parts from a guy in Phitsanulok for the CB400SF I don't see how your going to have any problems with getting service parts for it.

I read it's 120 bhp instead of the 150 but that's fast enough for Thailand, get to know her, ride to live, Regards. K

Guys I think you are over exagerating the difficulties of getting parts for the older bikes. Even in Thailand. I know with my FZR400, which is from 1989, I had no problem sourcing a new engine for it. The mechanic just ordered one from Japan, and it was shipped in. With the old bikes, you can still order it from Yamaha or Honda and have it delivered from Japan. I also think the Kawasaki 650's are great bikes and great buys in Thailand. However, I would rather have a Japanese Inline 4.

Edited by submaniac

The funny thing is, you guys talk about parts supply as if the official dealers keep a warehouse of spare parts for their imported bikes, but unfortunately here in Thailand, they don't.

Friends with busted Yamahas, Triumphs, Ducatis and BMW's here in Thailand all complain about having to wait weeks, and sometimes MONTHS for spare parts to arrive in Thailand. This applies to imported Kawasakis too I'm afraid.

All the more reason to just buy a Thai made bike then! Shame there isn't more choice, but it seems that might improve over the next few years. On the other hand though, I have always been able to get BMW parts very quickly, but then they are quite established here. Barcelona is rubbish, but at least they seem to have the parts which you can buy and get fitted elsewhere.

Edited by madjbs

All the more reason to just buy a Thai made bike then! Shame there isn't more choice, but it seems that might improve over the next few years. On the other hand though, I have always been able to get BMW parts very quickly, but then they are quite established here. Barcelona is rubbish, but at least they seem to have the parts which you can buy and get fitted elsewhere.

I guess you haven't read all the complaints about Barcelona's poor service on the GT Rider forum?

• Like 2

I guess you haven't read all the complaints about Barcelona's poor service on the GT Rider forum?

I'm no Barcelona fan, I posted in the thread on the GT rider forum complaining about them.

Look at my post above, I said " Barcelona is rubbish, but at least they seem to have the parts which you can buy and get fitted elsewhere."

I'm no Barcelona fan, I posted in the thread on the GT rider forum complaining about them.

Look at my post above, I said " Barcelona is rubbish, but at least they seem to have the parts which you can buy and get fitted elsewhere."

But wasn't one of the main complaints in the GT Rider thread about Barcelona using used parts and even scavenging parts off of customers' bikes because it take so long for new parts to arrive from Germany?

That was someone's accusation of what a rogue employee at CM Barcelona was doing, using that excuse for some reason or another to facilitate steeling parts from bikes. No reports of it being anything other than a single rouge employee or that parts were actually taking so long to arrive anywhere else.

And like I said, I actually have a BMW and never have to wait for parts. So hearsay doesn't really interest me.

Edited by madjbs

Guys I think you are over exagerating the difficulties of getting parts for the older bikes. Even in Thailand. I know with my FZR400, which is from 1989, I had no problem sourcing a new engine for it. The mechanic just ordered one from Japan, and it was shipped in. With the old bikes, you can still order it from Yamaha or Honda and have it delivered from Japan. I also think the Kawasaki 650's are great bikes and great buys in Thailand. However, I would rather have a Japanese Inline 4.

i have not had any trouble getting parts for a 93-94 CB400 but it might be tougher for a rarer bike cause theres loads of cb400s in thailand

mechanic has always given me a price there and then and been able to lay his hand on the bits usually same day

But wasn't one of the main complaints in the GT Rider thread about Barcelona using used parts and even scavenging parts off of customers' bikes because it take so long for new parts to arrive from Germany?

UK TV program " Faulty Towers " ( I know nothing I am from Barcelona ) laugh.pnglaugh.pngrolleyes.gif

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

I read it's 120 bhp instead of the 150 but that's fast enough for Thailand, get to know her, ride to live, Regards. K

I know folks get caught up a bit in the numbers .....we all do.

But what you say is true. 120 horses is not only enough for Thailand it is enough anywhere in the world unless your 100% race track concerned.

I would also venture to guess a very tiny percentage will ever make use of even 120hp

I have owned both the 900RR & the 600 if I remember right the 900RR had 128hp & the 600 had 105hp at the time

I can count on one hand the times I had the 900 pegged to a degree it made a difference over the 600. At that point the speedo

was sweeping thru 150mph/241kph.

There are very few places to use that range safely except a closed circuit track

A funny thing too is on any mountain section we rode I was actually faster on the 600 when it was ridden on the pipe. (10-13,000 rpm)

By the time anything larger was coming on power superiority wise it was time to turn

Even though the 900 was only 5 or 10 pounds heavier than the 600. The 600 was able to get on the throttle heavier & sooner through

most sweepers etc. IMO

YMMV wink.png

Congrats on the new bike OP!!

Edited by flying

Well, since I guess I am the only other person on this board with a CBR1000RR can I join the owner's club even though it's a 2006?

And, while I agree that horsepower is not the end all or be all, the times I have found it useful is on the public freeway when some A hole decides to change lanes directly into me. Having that much power on tap means I can just twist the throttle at any gear and any speed (no shifting required) to outrun danger.

post-50124-0-26578100-1328745283_thumb.j

post-50124-0-17212700-1328745304_thumb.j

Well OP if you need help getting US spec parts to deristrict the bike, I certainly can help out. If the wiring harness is the same as the 2008 to 2011 you could pick up a used one on ebay and and ECU and bring to Thailand.

Here's a 2008 to 2011 harness:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/wiring-harness-cbr-1000rr-cbr1000rr-08-09-10-11-/110822301318?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item19cd861e86

here's an ECU

http://www.ebay.com/itm/08-09-HONDA-CBR-1000-RR-COMPUTER-BRAIN-ECU-CDI-/180811097725?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item2a192e667d

Edited by submaniac

well, these guys don't post about the CBR1000RR so I didn't know anyone else had one on the board.

I think it would be cool if these guys did a race in like, a national forrest or something.

For the OP

I managed to find out one thread about deristricting the CBR1000RR, but it's for on 06-07 model, and it is in russian but I managed to translate. http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fdtsymbal.narod.ru%2Fcbr1000rr%2Ffullpower%2F

I think I understand about Dunder's bike now. It looks like a part of the throttle body has to be removed to allow air into the air filters.

Looks like you need to change the exhaust (which most people do any ways), remove the blocks on the throttle bodies, and do something with the ECU. The Russian guy tried disconnecting the limiter, but I wouldn't trust that. I would just replace the entire harness and ECU with a US spec.

08CBR1000RR chasing 08CBR1000RR

P.S The gearing has been changed to 15/47 on my bike so the Speedo is about 20% off....Top speed down the straight is 230km/hr by GPS.

Edited by newf

Did someone say 120hp.

Fail Honda, fail.

why ?

its not hondas fault their best bike has to be restricted for pollution and legal reasons in some countries

The FAIL is that Honda, Thailand is trying to sell the restricted Japanese spec CBR1000RR in Thailand for 100k Baht MORE than the cost of the US Spec CBR1000RR you can buy elsewhere...

P.S The gearing has been changed to 15/47 on my bike so the Speedo is about 20% off....Top speed down the straight is 230km/hr by GPS.

Whew! Man! I was wondering about that- thought my Gixxer was broke cuz fastest I've ever gone down the straight is 240 indicated, stock gearing :)

Whew! Man! I was wondering about that- thought my Gixxer was broke cuz fastest I've ever gone down the straight is 240 indicated, stock gearing smile.png

Yep, my old K5 was hitting between 230-235km/hr by GPS but i was braking alot earlier then, i think i could hit close to 240km/hr on the K5 now....The CBR1000RR pulls on the Suzuki out of the corner but loses a little at the end of the straight.

Did someone say 120hp.

Fail Honda, fail.

why ?

its not hondas fault their best bike has to be restricted for pollution and legal reasons in some countries

The FAIL is that Honda, Thailand is trying to sell the restricted Japanese spec CBR1000RR in Thailand for 100k Baht MORE than the cost of the US Spec CBR1000RR you can buy elsewhere...

elsewhere isnt thailand though ,the Op wanted a Proper honda warranty and a non -imported l thai bike and be able to take advantage of the new big wing centre

i dont know why people are surprised at restrictions ,even the kawa d-tracker is re-stricted for thailand and im sure kawasaki would prefer to sell those un-restricted as well

why would a litre bike be any differnnt ?

i dont know why people are surprised at restrictions ,even the kawa d-tracker is re-stricted for thailand and im sure kawasaki would prefer to sell those un-restricted as well

why would a litre bike be any differnnt ?

The problem with the Thailand model, is that is the Japanese model and the restrictions on those are not based upon fuel economy, noise, or anything else. Until 2007, Japan had a law that all bikes (even 1000cc superbikes) were speed limited to 180 km/h and 94 hp. In 2007 the law was changed, but ALL of the major Japanese manufacturerers agreed to reduce the power of the domestically offered bikes. It's not about laws and emissions, its about Honda limiting power on their home market bikes. Instead of importing the Rest of the World models to Thailand, they imported the JDM restricted model.

My bike is a California model which has just as tight emissions and noise regulations as Thailand, but it still makes 30 hp more.