Lost Or Misplaced My Green Book

Guderian

I moved house in Pattaya a few months ago, and during the move I seem to have lost or misplaced the green book for my motorbike. I've searched everywhere and can't find it, though it seems to be the only thing of any importance that I lost during the move, so it may be hiding somewhere but where I don't know. Anyway, the bike needs to be taxed again in a month or so, and to do that I will need the green book. I've got copies of the pages you are supposed to carry around with you, but not a copy of the whole book.

Is it possible to get a replacement green book, and how would I go about doing that? Thanks for any help.

if the bike is in your name just go down to the land transport office with the copies and your passport and all should be fine.

Is it that simple? Uncharacteristically Thai if it is! OK, I'll try it, thanks.

if the bike is in your name just go down to the land transport office with the copies and your passport and all should be fine.

They might ask you for a police report on the lost book, but otherwise it's a pretty straightforward process to get a new book issued. Cheap too! :D

They might ask you for a police report on the lost book, but otherwise it's a pretty straightforward process to get a new book issued. Cheap too! biggrin.png

They might ask you for a police report on the lost book, but otherwise it's a pretty straightforward process to get a new book issued. Cheap too! biggrin.png

Thanks. Is there any cost to getting a police report? Where would I do that, does it have to be at the main Pattaya police station or can the local cop box do it for me?

i dont think they do them in "traffic cop boxes" but i do know a police report is free

the cop on the front desk will probably write it up for you ,and then his boss will rubber stamp it

same when u lose nearly any document in thailand

i dont think they do them in "traffic cop boxes" but i do know a police report is free

the cop on the front desk will probably write it up for you ,and then his boss will rubber stamp it

same when u lose nearly any document in thailand

Thanks. It's probably best to get one then before I go out to the Land Transport Office. It's a long way from there to the police station if they tell me to go and get one.

• 2 months later...

I've now got my new Green Book, and I thought it may help people in a similar position in future to post what was actually required.

The paperwork needed is as follows:

1. A police report saying that you have lost the Green Book. This should apparently be from the nearest police post to where you lost the document. In my case that was the Dongtan Beach police box on Jomtien Beach Road (I was living in a nearby condo at the time). I presume if you've moved a long way away then you could get it locally, but I wasn't able to test that presumption so don't depend on it. The policeman was very friendly and chatty, it took about 10 minutes and the cost was 20 Baht. As well as my passport, he wanted to see the copies of the pages of the green book that you are supposed to carry around with you. Luckily I had those, though the copying was rather faint, but he accepted them. I have no idea what would have happened if I hadn't had them, so memo to self: get a good quality copy of the new green book ASAP.

2. A residence certificate from Immigration, exactly the same as you had to provide when you bought the bike. I've heard that these are free in some places, but in Jomtien/Pattaya it costs 200 Baht.

3. Copies of the usual suspects from your passport. I gave them a copy of the ID page at the back, a copy of the TM6 arrival card, and a copy of my current visa (the latest retirement extension in my case, valid until 1/1/2013). I had to sign all these pages. I also had my passport with me just in case, but I was not asked for it.

4. A form to get a new green book. This is available at the information desk at the Land Transport office, but it's entirely in Thai so you will probably need help to complete it. I had a Thai taxi driver and he did it for me.

When your turn comes you present all this paperwork to the guy at the relevant window. He then checks that they have all the details on their computer. Allow 20 minutes for this according to the flowchart (written in Thai) showing the process. It was very quiet when I went and the check only took 5 minutes. He wanted to see my current road tax certificate for some reason, so take that with you too (in fact, it's best to take everything you might conceivably be asked for with you, just in case).

Anyway, my bike and details were all present and correct on their system so I paid the fee - all of 55 Baht - and was told to come back in 45 minutes. (The flowchart said 30 minutes.) I wandered around and watched the driving tests that had just started, and while I was smiling at the antics of some of the drivers I was called back in by my driver as the new green book was ready. It had taken 35 minutes.

I picked it up, had my Thai driver check it was all in order, which it was, and off we went with me feeling happy and legit again. So all in all it's a simple, quick and cheap process, but you must have the correct paperwork with you or you will be sent away to get it. The Banglamung Land Transport office is way out in the sticks, so this would not be a good idea.

Anyway, I hope that this information will help someone in future who is unlucky enough to lose their Green Book.

I've now got my new Green Book, and I thought it may help people in a similar position in future to post what was actually required.

The paperwork needed is as follows:

1. A police report saying that you have lost the Green Book. This should apparently be from the nearest police post to where you lost the document. In my case that was the Dongtan Beach police box on Jomtien Beach Road (I was living in a nearby condo at the time). I presume if you've moved a long way away then you could get it locally, but I wasn't able to test that presumption so don't depend on it. The policeman was very friendly and chatty, it took about 10 minutes and the cost was 20 Baht. As well as my passport, he wanted to see the copies of the pages of the green book that you are supposed to carry around with you. Luckily I had those, though the copying was rather faint, but he accepted them. I have no idea what would have happened if I hadn't had them, so memo to self: get a good quality copy of the new green book ASAP.

2. A residence certificate from Immigration, exactly the same as you had to provide when you bought the bike. I've heard that these are free in some places, but in Jomtien/Pattaya it costs 200 Baht.

3. Copies of the usual suspects from your passport. I gave them a copy of the ID page at the back, a copy of the TM6 arrival card, and a copy of my current visa (the latest retirement extension in my case, valid until 1/1/2013). I had to sign all these pages. I also had my passport with me just in case, but I was not asked for it.

4. A form to get a new green book. This is available at the information desk at the Land Transport office, but it's entirely in Thai so you will probably need help to complete it. I had a Thai taxi driver and he did it for me.

When your turn comes you present all this paperwork to the guy at the relevant window. He then checks that they have all the details on their computer. Allow 20 minutes for this according to the flowchart (written in Thai) showing the process. It was very quiet when I went and the check only took 5 minutes. He wanted to see my current road tax certificate for some reason, so take that with you too (in fact, it's best to take everything you might conceivably be asked for with you, just in case).

Anyway, my bike and details were all present and correct on their system so I paid the fee - all of 55 Baht - and was told to come back in 45 minutes. (The flowchart said 30 minutes.) I wandered around and watched the driving tests that had just started, and while I was smiling at the antics of some of the drivers I was called back in by my driver as the new green book was ready. It had taken 35 minutes.

I picked it up, had my Thai driver check it was all in order, which it was, and off we went with me feeling happy and legit again. So all in all it's a simple, quick and cheap process, but you must have the correct paperwork with you or you will be sent away to get it. The Banglamung Land Transport office is way out in the sticks, so this would not be a good idea.

Anyway, I hope that this information will help someone in future who is unlucky enough to lose their Green Book.

a police report is supposed to be free ......but for 20thb you cant really complain

1. A police report saying that you have lost the Green Book. This should apparently be from the nearest police post to where you lost the document. ... I presume if you've moved a long way away then you could get it locally, but I wasn't able to test that presumption so don't depend on it.

Usually no, it has to be the nearest station/sub-station to where you lost the book / had the spare wheel stolen / the windscreen cracked / lost your passport, etc.,, so make sure you are suitably local, if unsure/vague.

(but I do stress "usually").

Edited by LeCharivari