Internet In Chiang Mai

damo

Hi,

My wife, children and I are making plans to come to Chiang Mai to live in early 2013 and are doing our homework, something important to us is internet and I would like to hear from other boardmembers in CM about thier experiences with the net. What I am looking for is a provider that offers good speeds, reliability, no fuss and good value.

If someone has a web address to a net provider, that would be greatly apprieciated.

I have tried to have a look at a couple of web sites but I dont read Thai and my wife doesn't know the details involved with the devils. Also from what I gather there some differences with how the net is packaged in LOS compared with what Im used to.

In oz I use a wireless router connected to a telephone line, is this a popular option in Thailand or is no telephone line and just a 3G connection the more popular way of connecting to the net.

We are planning on coming for a year, renting and then looking at staying or leaving and coming back. Not having a contract or telephone line rental is what appeals to me. I like the idea of just being able to pick up and go + I don't need a phone line.

in chiang mai it's very easy to get internet , can just go into one of the malls and there's the companies like TOT , 3BB etc,

you'll see advertising everywhere too with best prices.

Tot was going to take a few weeks to get connected so we went for 3bb and all working in a few days. if your definately wanting one year then ask if you can get a discount for paying for whole year at once and they offered us 10%.

you could bring a wireless router with you. or a combination modem / router.

only an extra100 baht for a modem on installation.

so bringing my router with me from Aus is a good idea, I will have to remember. Will I need a phone line and if so, do I need to pay like a line rental (Aussies will know what Im talking about).

I had a look at some of the speeds available on the true move website and 7.2 Mbps or even 42 Mbps that is twice as fast as my current connection here in Oz and my connection is one of the quicker ones. Almost unbelievable that Thailand has speeds like these. The prices seem awesome, there must be a catch somewhere I can feel it.

Edited by damo

The speeds you see of 7.2Mbps and 42Mbps are for 3G+ packages. It's mostly hot air but you can occasionally get a decent burst of speed on 3G. You'll *never* sustain speeds anywhere close to those advertised.

Plus, on 3G, just like most anywhere in the world you pay through the nose for data - roughly US$5/Gb. Although thankfully, they don't cut you off once your Gb's are used up, they simply reduce your speed to 384kbps. Packages up to about 10Gb are available on 3G

On the landlines, I don't believe there's a line rental charge (if there is, it's minimal) for the "telephone" part of the line on top of which they layer ADSL for which of course, you pay. ADSL speeds up to 9Mbps are being bandied around but many people don't get anywhere near those speeds. Also "international" speeds are usually far, far slower than both the advertised speeds, and the "local" speeds.

You will NOT be able to get much more info until you know exactly where you're going to live. There are places where you get a good fast connection on one side of the street and nothing on the other. Neighbours a few hundred meters apart can see vast differences in their connections. It's very much a grey area whether you'll get a good connection or not.

Many condos will have "free" wifi. Usually congested to the hilt and less than impressive on speed & reliability...

In short - don't get too excited about getting a super fast connection. Your mileage will vary greatly depending where you end up living.

when ever I test my speed using this site :

http://speedtest.net/

it always says the 6Mbp speed i should be getting.

i think the 599 baht package in practice works out to 630 baht a month.

they provided a cheap modem (extra 100Baht) and installation was free.

mines the lowest package so i can't vouch for the higher ones, i live close to the airport inside the city.

you can always ask your neighbors what they use, you see many houses with dishes on the outside they maybe cable tv and internet combined ?

you can choose to add a landline telephone or not when you sign up.

it's all very easy here in chiang mai.

i was even having trouble with setting the connection up and i called them up and they had a guy in a van here in 10 mins.

they all seem about the same price when you work out how they structure it.

i had to show my passport and i'm not sure if they will do it if you only have a tourist visa ?

yes same company did everything - ours was a new installation , maybe they can re-use the disconnected connection if it's not too old,

but it's nothing to concern yourself about,

once you have the address go into the shop and they show you a map on a computer screen showing distance to there points etc, and they can say if strong area etc.

maybe there web sites have maps too ?

when ever I test my speed using this site :

http://speedtest.net/

it always says the 6Mbp speed i should be getting.

i think the 599 baht package in practice works out to 630 baht a month.

they provided a cheap modem (extra 100Baht) and installation was free.

mines the lowest package so i can't vouch for the higher ones, i live close to the airport inside the city.

you can always ask your neighbors what they use, you see many houses with dishes on the outside they maybe cable tv and internet combined ?

Hello, Chris1970

I am always looking for a speedy and reliable isp. Would you mind running a speedtest at http://us.mcafee.com/root/speedometer/ and posting the results?

MSPain

Not to rain on any ones parade but a lot can happen in one year.

All of the various providers will over sell their service and the service will then slow down.

Here where I live I have a 3bbb and it is twice as fast as two tin cans with a string between them. And often the string gets cut.

I use a air stick unlimited from AIS 900 baht a month and am quite happy with it. Well pretty happy with it some pages can be slow opening. But it is the best service I have found here in Chiang Mai yet and I am well aware that in one year that can all change.

without wishing to hijack OP's responses, any advice on my situation would be appreciated, also Internet related in CM.

Staying just off Thapae Road for 6 months where my laptop will be permanently placed, and on the go with Samsung Galaxy S2 phone.

Want them both connected to net.

Laptop will be sufring, banking, you tube etc......like to have it on all the time, though not necessarily d/l things. Never game.

Mobile for Facebook, GPS etc on the move.

Any ideas what I should do.

Hopefully any responses will compliment OP.

Thanks.

3g chip in the sgs2 - I'd suggest True-H but up to you. Also use it as a wifi hotspot for the laptop while you're at home. Don't forget to switch the hotspot off when you go out, or your battery will last about 15 milliseconds. :)

If you must have the laptop on while you're out with your sgs2, your next best option for the laptop would be cable/adsl (or in-building wifi) if you can get it, or a 2nd 3g chip and an aircard.

Thanks for the replies guys, I guess I shouldn't expect too much from Thai internet. Hopefully by Easter next year I can get a pretty good connection.

Once again thanks, I have a much better Idea of where I'm at and have got a bit of a plan in mind now. I guess they'll be like ISP's in Oz, promise the earth and give you a map.

Thanks everyone.

3g chip in the sgs2 - I'd suggest True-H but up to you. Also use it as a wifi hotspot for the laptop while you're at home. Don't forget to switch the hotspot off when you go out, or your battery will last about 15 milliseconds. smile.png

If you must have the laptop on while you're out with your sgs2, your next best option for the laptop would be cable/adsl (or in-building wifi) if you can get it, or a 2nd 3g chip and an aircard.

Thanks Bobl

Apartment where I'm staying has internet at about 10/15 GBP per month - I'll probably utilise that initially and maybe try your suggestion for the SG2.

Ta.

so bringing my router with me from Aus is a good idea, I will have to remember. Will I need a phone line and if so, do I need to pay like a line rental (Aussies will know what Im talking about).

I had a look at some of the speeds available on the true move website and 7.2 Mbps or even 42 Mbps that is twice as fast as my current connection here in Oz and my connection is one of the quicker ones. Almost unbelievable that Thailand has speeds like these. The prices seem awesome, there must be a catch somewhere I can feel it.

Don't believe any of it. It's only what's advertised. You will never get the speeds advertised.

I've just changed over to True's cable plan. I've got a 20Mb/2Mb connection for 1200 baht or something.

It gives me pretty much exactly what they advertised. I can download torrents at 2MB/s and upload at 250kB/s.

Plus it's unlimited, which is better than my Optus connection back home.

To the OP, one thing to bear in mind, when I moved into a moo baan in Sansai a few years ago, the moo baan had RUN OUT OF TELEPHONE LINES. The exchange box thing for the place was full with no spare capacity and TOT was not prepared to upgrade the box until there was more demand. 3BB/True did not service the area at the time.

I was "kindly" offered a line by another owner (who had two lines) for 15000 baht, which I "kindly" declined.

Eventually, someone moved out the Moo Baan and I got that line BUT just something to be aware of.

Also, if you are moving into an apartment, where I am now, check that they will allow you to have your OWN dedicated line installed (as I have) rather than having to share with the whole development.

Edited by kjhbigv

If I have found a house to rent which is my intent, can I do some sort of check with the ISP that a connection is possible before I commit to a rental contract. I think here in Oz you just go and ask the neighbor for thier phone number, give that number to your ISP and they can tell from that phone number what the coverage is like in your street.

Damo.

I've just changed over to True's cable plan. I've got a 20Mb/2Mb connection for 1200 baht or something.

It gives me pretty much exactly what they advertised. I can download torrents at 2MB/s and upload at 250kB/s.

Plus it's unlimited, which is better than my Optus connection back home.

True cable is great if you can get it - only works inside the city, and one or 2 km beyond.

3BB Premier 5Mbit is the best trouble free no questions asked connection IMO. I never had any problems with it. The downside is it's slow (5Mbit - but you really get those 5Mbit no matter what time of the day/night it is). And expensive at 2,500 / month.

All the other offerings are hit and miss. Sometimes good, sometimes slow and by the time the OP gets here it might all be different. One thing is for sure though: It's not hard to get a good connection in Thailand.

I now have TOT fiber 10Mbit/2Mbit and pretty happy with it. Costs less than 3BB, I do get the full 10Mbit for almost any downloads, and it doesn't really slow down very much in the evenings. Happy camper so far. I like the 2M upload speed too as I sometimes upload big files.

3bb Premier is by far the most stable internet I have ever had in Thailand, and in my life, i ncluding in the States. I have also had True Ultra-hispeed at the same time and it was reasonable, but disconnected regularly and was often slow.

Most stable in Thailand I agree - so far.

I hope that 3BB keeps expanding there coverage I want to live up on a mountain with a great view....

I have a galaxy S2 tethered to my laptop and use Truemove H. I pay 899 baht a month and get unlimited full speed internet and 500 minutes of calls.

So far no problems! I can make video calls and download stuff quite quickly, streaming movies and TV seems fine.

Battery use IS the problem. Recently I tried plugging in the charger, but the heat generated by the charging and the tethering together, overheated the phone and it turned off...

My girl is on a 7.2mbps 3g air card from Tru and we have no problem using webcam or skype.

I bought it for her before she moved back home just in case internet was lacking in her villiage

but we decided to keep it for now.

It cost 2000thb for the adapter and its 1000 per month for unlimited use.

• 5 months later...