Question About Adapters

kkf123

A compaq and a Toshiba Satellite.

When I take them back to the USA, will I need to use an adapter when I use them?

Also, while in the USA, I plan to buy another notebook, a Dell.

When I bring this one back to Thailand, will it require and sort of adapter?

What if I bring back a DVD player or anything else from the States?

Thanks for the help in advance mates.

OK

Look on the bottom of your notebook power block, if it says something like 'Input 100-250V AC' then it's universal and will work fine anywhere. If it says 'Input 220-250V AC' you will need a transformer.

The same for your Dell from the US.

These days most notebooks have universal power units so no worries.

Your DVD player may be a different proposition. A lot of units for the US market are 110V only (so need a transformer) and are also NTSC only, so won't work with a Thai (PAL) TV. Check on the back for the voltage rating and in the manual for PAL support. If it's 110V NTSC only, leave it at home and buy a cheapie here, 99% will play your NTSC Region 1 disks on a PAL set.

The Dell notebook PC will definitely have a global AC adapter (100-240V/50-60 hz AC input).

A DVD player purchased in the U.S.A. will require 120/60 AC power only so would require a transformer if used here in Thailand. It will also support only NTSC (and not PAL) and will likely be hard-locked to Region 1. I think it is better to buy the DVD player here in Thailand.

Not sure how to comment on "...anything else from the States?", as it would depend.