Visa Extension

I am American, 54, Thai wife, living here in Thailand 7 years. Next week I plan on applying for my first extension. With 1.3 million baht in a Thai bank, I thought I was all set. I never touch my bank account, I live off a small investment in the US that gives me about 16000 baht a month, which is enough to live comfotably here in Issan. The catch is, as I read the rules, I do not just need 400,000 baht in a Thai bank, (as of July this year), but I am required to deposit an additional 400,000, each year. Is this correct? It seems that a farang is expected to support his Thai family at a higher standard than a Thai citizen. Can someone please clarify this for me?

If you are a US person try to contact the Thai Council in Huston Tx. The are honorary so they’re not Thai, it’s a business for them. In other words English is there first language. Ask them they can give you all the help you will need.

Also I have a question of clarification. When you say show them a bank account balance. Is it specific to a Thai Bank? Does money have to move between? How I read it is you have to show assets worth X USD or BHT to prove you can support your self.

One reason I heard from purely speculative source, that we have to have so much money in the bank.

One: is medical reasons. If we get hurt how will pay the bills?

Two: Falangs who have say 1 million baht in the bank are much more desirable than those who have 100 baht to their name.

Ta Tom ...

To my Knowledge ...

The money does not have to be in a Thai Bank

It can be in a Foreign owned bank - but it must

be in one of their Branches in Thailand.

So it can be in any Bank in Thailand.

I think the regulation is that it should be - in Thai Baht

- but I think another poster said his Foreign Currency

deposit in Thailand was accepted.

The Bank must be able to Certify that the money came

to them from Overseas.

You do NOT have to deposit the amount Every Year

- unless you have used it of course.

Roger

If you are a US person try to contact the Thai Council in Huston Tx

That is good advise if he needed a visa but he already has the visa and is living here in Thailand with his wife. What he will do is to extend his visa on a yearly basis as supporting his wife and that can only be done here in Thailand.

You are speaking of a retirement/long stay visa and at the time you apply for the visa in the US the money can be banked there. But it will have to be transferred to a Thai located bank later to continue your visa extensions. And you are correct that the 'money in the bank/income' is designed to show that you can support yourself during the period of your visa.

If you are a US person try to contact the Thai Council in Huston Tx

That is good advise if he needed a visa but he already has the visa and is living here in Thailand with his wife. What he will do is to extend his visa on a yearly basis as supporting his wife and that can only be done here in Thailand.

The point was to he could call them and get all the information he needs first hand. Granted he needs to do it in Thailand however he can get the official word if they don’t know they will give a reference or contact to get the straight scoop.

Second everyone speaks as if they are gods and now the laws better than the Thais. Some do in fact however :o , people should use official resources first. Then confirm or look for tricks from any forum.

Checks and balances that’s all.

The point was to he could call them and get all the information he needs first hand.

1. I am not God in this or any previous life. Sorry if it sounded that way. :o

2. He is here in Thailand; not in Texas and as you said yourself the Consul in Huston is not Thai nor is the consulate/embassy (MFA) the authority involved with visa extensions.

:o

Can extensions be processed up country, such as Udon or Korat? Or must they be processed in Bangkok?

Also, Houston is a good resource for the law and required steps, but all that goes by the board in country.

From past experience, different immigration offices (& officers) have different policies.

Digs

Can extensions be processed up country, such as Udon or Korat? Or must they be processed in Bangkok?
Any immigration office can take your application. Believe some cases can be decided on the spot and others will require approval in Bangkok. Bangkok is the HQ.