Jet Airways Or Air Berlin

pattayadingo

Currently the two airlines coming in at low prices for a 1 way trip from London - BKK.

Jet airways at £312. Dep LHR via Dehli to BKK

or

Air Berlin at £355 Dep STN via Duessldorf to BKK

As I recall, Delhi is a good airport. Is there much difference between Jet and Air berlin in terms of service?

Most other flights are well over £400.

Delhi is probably the best airport in India, but that's rather like saying Fleetwood is the best team in the Conference Premier League!

Also be aware that the DEL-BKK flight is on a single aisle B737-800. Apart from that Jet is pretty decent for the price.

• Like 2

Looking at hold-baggage-allowance, and assuming you don't have Air Berlin's frequent-flyer card, they will only give you 20 kgs, whereas Jet Airways should be 32 kgs & 2 bags for LHR-BKK.

I've not flown Air Berlin, but have booked with Jet Airways for a couple more trips this year, after flying BKK-LHR-BKK with them last year. They're a bit basic, especially the food, but acceptable IMO. jap.gif

Delhi is probably the best airport in India, but that's rather like saying Fleetwood is the best team in the Conference Premier League!

Also be aware that the DEL-BKK flight is on a single aisle B737-800. Apart from that Jet is pretty decent for the price.

Looking at hold-baggage-allowance, and assuming you don't have Air Berlin's frequent-flyer card, they will only give you 20 kgs, whereas Jet Airways should be 32 kgs & 2 bags for LHR-BKK.

I've not flown Air Berlin, but have booked with Jet Airways for a couple more trips this year, after flying BKK-LHR-BKK with them last year. They're a bit basic, especially the food, but acceptable IMO. jap.gif

Thanks for the info.

Basic would do to get back from this cold weather :)

A drop of 30 deg C is a lot down from 30+ in Thailand to -1 or so here.

Bearing in mind what you two have said, I will look a little longer and if nothing better comes up it looks like Jet. After all it is only 1 trip.

Thanks for the info.

Basic would do to get back from this cold weather smile.png

Bearing in mind what you two have said, I will look a little longer and if nothing better comes up it looks like Jet. After all it is only 1 trip.

Might be worth checking out Air Asia LGW-KUL-BKK as this route runs until 1 April and is usually very competitive on price if booked ahead. Just checked a random date of 5 March with AA and it works out at about £320.

Thanks for the info.

Basic would do to get back from this cold weather smile.png

Might be worth checking out Air Asia LGW-KUL-BKK as this route runs until 1 April and is usually very competitive on price if booked ahead. Just checked a random date of 5 March with AA and it works out at about £320.

Plus baggage and meals. That always was a problem with Air Asia, sadly.

the ONboard service from Jet is miles better. AB tends to have grumpy old stewardesses who seem to act like anything they pour out comes from their own pockets. NO free booze-only 1 beer/wine at meals.

Delhi has inded since a year or 2 a splendid new INT terminal. BUT the main problem there is the in wintertime often eternal delays due to fog-not a thing a new terminal can solve. Well known in the travel-world. The Germans are of course very efficient in snowy wheather and DUS is a fairly small and quickly navigatable friendly airport.

IF you can, try to get JET but via MUmbai. Avoids the delays-though BOM is still avery Indian old-fashioned airport with overzealous safety guards. A brandnew INT terminal is undr construction.

So all has its pro and cons-you choose.

the ONboard service from Jet is miles better. AB tends to have grumpy old stewardesses who seem to act like anything they pour out comes from their own pockets. NO free booze-only 1 beer/wine at meals.

Delhi has inded since a year or 2 a splendid new INT terminal. BUT the main problem there is the in wintertime often eternal delays due to fog-not a thing a new terminal can solve. Well known in the travel-world. The Germans are of course very efficient in snowy wheather and DUS is a fairly small and quickly navigatable friendly airport.

IF you can, try to get JET but via MUmbai. Avoids the delays-though BOM is still avery Indian old-fashioned airport with overzealous safety guards. A brandnew INT terminal is undr construction.

So all has its pro and cons-you choose.

With Jet coming in consistently at £312 for the one way, it looks like that will be the option, but I will never go through Mumbai again. Mumbai is absolute madness.

Jet at the above price has a 14 hour 20 minutes flight via Delhi. That is a good flight time.

I took Air Berlin several times in the past and I'm booked for next Thursday's flight to BKK from Düsseldorf, however, I am not really excited about it.

I would rate them a little below average for an European Airline and certainly well below Thai, Emirates or Etihad whom I used on my last few flights.

Planes are Airbus 330's. Feels like they chose the narrowest seat arrangement possible, though. These planes (which are certainly in good condition) were formerly used by LTU which was bought by Air Berlin a few years ago. There is no inseat entertainment, just a bunch of comunal screens. Food is well below average, some better menues available for cash. The same goes for alcoholic drinks (I think there's free wine which comes with a meal, apart from that they make you pay) Flight attendants younger than average and easy going. Düsseldorf always attracts tons of Dutch passengers. Apart from the Dutch, lot's of German families and older men, almost noone from outside of Europe.

Considering the pricing, my proximity to Düsseldorf and the fact I don't spend a few hours in the middle of nowhere, they are always on my shortlist but don't expect anything to write home about.

Edit: Should have read asanee's post before posting myself :) Though I have to disagree on the age of the attendants :)

Edited by SkyRunner09

should be added that Air Berlin is VERY strict when it comes to baggage !

Don't expect to check in 22 KG when the allowance is only 20 KG.

oh, and carry-on is only 5 Kg, or 8 KG INCLUDING (!!!) a laptop. this basically means: if you carry a full-sized laptop, you are not allowed to have any other hand-luggage at all, as you will be quickly over the 8 KG, even your hand-luggage trolley is completeley empty.

I think such thing is unique for any full-service carrier in the world.

Best to be avoided......

Well, I have now booked Jet Airlines. At £308 for the one way flight I need, they are a lot cheaper than the competition by a long way. Thankfully I am going via Dehli and not the dreaded Mumbai.

14 hours and 20 minutes travelling time was also a factor.

2 weeks 3 days and counting to be out of this freezer called England and back to the warmth of and friends in Thailand drunk.gif

to be fair, I just learned Air Berlin will be increasing the luggage-allowance to 23 Kg for flights after the 1st of May.

but the virtually-no-carry-on-luggage rule continues (8 KG INCLUDING a laptop which may already eat 5-6 KG of your allowance if you add the chargers, laptop-case a.s.o:

see here :

applies to flights from 01.05.2012:

The free baggage allowance for checked baggage is defined by the piece concept. Depending on the service class booked, the following free baggage allowances are included in the ticket price: Short-haul/Medium-haul Long-haul Economy Class 1 bag up to 23 kg (51 lbs) 1 bag up to 23 kg (51 lbs) Business Class 2 bags up to 32 kg (71 lbs) each 2 bags up to 32 kg (71 lbs) each

[/url]

For children under two years of age (infants) the baggage allowance is one bag up to 23 kg; in addition a buggy/pram, a child car seat and a travel cot can be checked in free of charge.

Information about the free baggage allowance for holders of a topbonus Card Service/Silver/Gold »

Cabin baggage

For reasons of safety as well as convenience, each passenger is only allowed to take one item of cabin baggage into the cabin. Cabin baggage must not weigh more than 6 kg (8 kg incl. laptop) and the dimensions must not exceed 55 cm x 40 cm x 20 cm. Passengers in airberlin’s business class may take a second item of cabin baggage weighing up to 6 kg on board (except on flights to / from the USA and Canada: one item of hand luggage).

Well, I have now booked Jet Airlines. At £308 for the one way flight I need, they are a lot cheaper than the competition by a long way. Thankfully I am going via Dehli and not the dreaded Mumbai.

2 weeks 3 days and counting to be out of this freezer called England and back to the warmth of and friends in Thailand drunk.gif

Let us know if Jet Airways are any good. Jet Airways and Kingfisher always have good fares BKK/LHR/BKK but I have never used them. Stopping in India puts me off a little.

I have flown with Jet Airways 3 times so far, had stopovers in Mumbai. I have had no problem at all. Mumbai airport seems to be boring a bit but quiet at least. The longer leg of the journey is always good, food is ok. The shorter leg on smaller aircraft a bit wobbly sometimes, i can`t work out why. And also I was not happy with their breakfast offer. No delay, kind air crew.

Let us know if Jet Airways are any good. Jet Airways and Kingfisher always have good fares BKK/LHR/BKK but I have never used them. Stopping in India puts me off a little.

When I get back to Thailand on the 7th I'll do a post shortly after that. :)