Failed To Do 90 Days Report

ChinesePanda

Or don't do anything. They don't actually check when you leave the country; so as long as you leave the country before your next visa extension date is up, nobody will care, or fine you.

I just realized I'm a week or two over myself. Big deal; I'm not due for an extension until December, and will have several international trips before that.

pretty clever to misinform people with such blattant bull... if he leaves the country and they see his mistake its not 2000 baht but 4000 baht he will have to pay ...

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one occasion it dawned on that I was well into the seven days grace so I planned a visit for 90 day on the following Monday.

Sat, Sun where days 6,7 and I though that as they where closed I would be OK.

Wrong Monday day 8 so B2,000 fine.

john

It's supposed to be 200 B/day, up to a maximum of 2000 B. Not 2000 B for being over by 8 days.

But your mileage may vary, as the cliche goes.....wink.png

we are not speaking about overstay here , which by the way is not 200baht / day anymore. we are speaking about 90 days reporting for which after the grace period of 7 days will cost you a 2000 baht fine or 4000 baht if caught ( cf: thaiimmigration.com) . And YES they do check your status on computer when leaving the country!

Edited by SabaiBKK

Overstay 90 days repport in Thailand:

http://www.stickmanw...ayReporting.htm

Ignore this link to Stickman in 2008 it is incorrect. The 90 days resets when you leave the Country and starts again when you return, all immigration Officers are following this rule. You must report 7 days up to the expiry date of you 90 day report period in person or send 10 days prior if you send the report form by post.

If you are renewing your visa and you failed to report your 90 days on time you will get fined. It is true in the early days many did not bother reporting and the immigration officers used their discretion to wave the B500 fine (at that time), but even my Daughter who was born in the UK and came here aged 2 years has been fined B2,000 because my Thai Wife thought it would be "Mai Bpen Rai" as usual.

A German friend of mine who has been here years, refused to pay the fine for late reporting which the immigration officers discovered when he renewed his Visa last year. He point blank refused to pay the fine and demanded to see the Head Officer who advised him to leave the Country as soon as possible and then the 90 days will be reset and there would be no fine due, providing he was not singled out at the Airport. As he was due a trip to Hongkong he went out and came back with the 90 days reset. He tries now to go on business trips before the 90 days elapses. I have been doing the same as much as I can.

yeah it is such a fuss to send a copy of your passport by EMS to the immigration every 90 days that its totally worth it to leave the country instead !!!

sometime i can't believe the stuff i read on this board !huh.png

Overstay 90 days repport in Thailand:

http://www.stickmanw...ayReporting.htm

Ignore this link to Stickman in 2008 it is incorrect. The 90 days resets when you leave the Country and starts again when you return, all immigration Officers are following this rule. You must report 7 days up to the expiry date of you 90 day report period in person or send 10 days prior if you send the report form by post.

If you are renewing your visa and you failed to report your 90 days on time you will get fined. It is true in the early days many did not bother reporting and the immigration officers used their discretion to wave the B500 fine (at that time), but even my Daughter who was born in the UK and came here aged 2 years has been fined B2,000 because my Thai Wife thought it would be "Mai Bpen Rai" as usual.

A German friend of mine who has been here years, refused to pay the fine for late reporting which the immigration officers discovered when he renewed his Visa last year. He point blank refused to pay the fine and demanded to see the Head Officer who advised him to leave the Country as soon as possible and then the 90 days will be reset and there would be no fine due, providing he was not singled out at the Airport. As he was due a trip to Hongkong he went out and came back with the 90 days reset. He tries now to go on business trips before the 90 days elapses. I have been doing the same as much as I can.

yeah it is such a fuss to send a copy of your passport by EMS to the immigration every 90 days that its totally worth it to leave the country instead !!!

sometime i can't believe the stuff i read on this board !huh.png

Suppose that depends on how far you are from a border and if there is any other reason to go abroad. Personally I do a walk over every 90 days (or less) simply to restock on movies and kids DVDs (and get a bottle of that lovely Burmese "Scotch") - so never need to bother with the 90 days check (which I know I would forget much easier than my kids moaning that they have watched all the films 3 times already and its time for shopping). To each their own.

• Like 1

Additionally, if you are picked up in a bar sweep with an expired visa, you stand a very good chance of spending a night in the immigration lockup. Not fun.

Sure. Which would be a different thing to the 90 day report. Let's not stray too far off topic.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Well just to correct a piece of wrong information posted above it is NOT 10 days either side of the due date for the 90 Day Reporting it is 7 DAYS MAXIMUM either side of the due date, which I find perfectly reasonable. I put the due reporting date in my iPhone (or whatever phone you have) as a reminder and get it to give me an alarm 7 days before it is due and on the day itself too. Only missed it once by a couple of weeks when I was ill but still had the 2000 Baht to pay and the interview as to why I was late with it, but that is just once now over the past 9 years that I have retired here.

Secondly it is surely far easier and usually very quick just to do the 90 day report at the local immigration office than to have to trail out of the country and back again as somebody above suggested. Sod that, and far more hassle and expensive of course particularly if you have no desire to make such a journey. Many of us on pensions do not want to throw what little spare money we have away unnecessarily when there are far better or even necessary things to spend your money on. I only travel myself rarely and then only when I WANT TO not because I HAVE TO. I am retired so a free agent now and hate being forced into doing things that are major inconvenieces. Also as somebody mentioned, I am not sure it does reset your 90 day reporting clock as that is surely tied to your retirement visa and the last time you reported. Certainly when I made a holiday trip to China a few years ago the 90 day report date did not change but of course I did sensibly have a re-entry permit so kept my original retirement visa intact. Nothing wrong with the 90 day reporting system IMHO and it seems a reasonable and understandable condition they lay down for your retirement visa.

Also whilst on the subject of days grace you should also know that there is NO days grace after your annual retirement visa runs out but you CAN renew your annual retirement visa up to 30 days BEFORE it is due and it will run concurrently from the date your current visa year ends, so you do no lose anything by getting it sorted nice and early. However. with the 90 day reporting the next reporting date is always 90 days from when you LAST reported so that means you can in fact report every 97 days if you want to make use of the maximum period of 7 days grace, though the 90 day report procedure is so quick and easy I see no point in messing around that way and wringing the last drop out of the system.

For the guy who has gone 60 days or so over his reporting date then yes I would go to your local immigration office apologetically and pay your 2000 Baht fine, oh and be polite and Mr. Nice guy when they interview you as to why you are so late. Should be no problem unless you keep overlooking this 90 days requirement. They are human and they know any of us can have an oversight and forget it or forget to set your reminder, but yes for sure that should be only very occasionally indeed.

Personally never had any problems with immigration as I always have the papers they require, make sure I meet their criteria, and be tidy and polite. If you do that you should never have a problem. It is up to you to meet their visa requirements as we are guests and it is NOT our country. Compared to many countries the requirements here are not unreasonable IMHO. Sure we would all like to see some changes like, for example, the right for retirees to be able to legally own a small amount of residential land (say even just 1/2 Rai) for our retirmeent home, as was I believe being seriously proposed by the Democrats in the pre Thaksin Government 12 years or so ago. That would encourage more retirees to move here which in turn is good for Thailand as they bring in regular retirement income from abroad of course.

Edited by rayw
  • Like 2

Perhaps I misunderstood Ray, but during my last out-of-country junket, my next 90 day reporting date was set back to 3 months (approx) after my return. It is true that I did have to go thrice between annual renewal dates, but the date(s) for the 90 day report after my return were put back. No big deal at all, but just for the record (as I've experienced it).

Mr. Nice Guy is always good to have along hereabouts, with a touch of humility as appropriate.

Well just to correct a piece of wrong information posted above it is NOT 10 days either side of the due date for the 90 Day Reporting it is 7 DAYS MAXIMUM either side of the due date, which I find perfectly reasonable. I put the due reporting date in my iPhone (or whatever phone you have) as a reminder and get it to give me an alarm 7 days before it is due and on the day itself too. Only missed it once by a couple of weeks when I was ill but still had the 2000 Baht to pay and the interview as to why I was late with it, but that is just once now over the past 9 years that I have retired here.

Secondly it is surely far easier and usually very quick just to do the 90 day report at the local immigration office than to have to trail out of the country and back again as somebody above suggested. Sod that, and far more hassle and expensive of course particularly if you have no desire to make such a journey. Many of us on pensions do not want to throw what little spare money we have away unnecessarily when there are far better or even necessary things to spend your money on. I only travel myself rarely and then only when I WANT TO not because I HAVE TO. I am retired so a free agent now and hate being forced into doing things that are major inconvenieces. Also as somebody mentioned, I am not sure it does reset your 90 day reporting clock as that is surely tied to your retirement visa and the last time you reported. Certainly when I made a holiday trip to China a few years ago the 90 day report date did not change but of course I did sensibly have a re-entry permit so kept my original retirement visa intact. Nothing wrong with the 90 day reporting system IMHO and it seems a reasonable and understandable condition they lay down for your retirement visa.

Also whilst on the subject of days grace you should also know that there is NO days grace after your annual retirement visa runs out but you CAN renew your annual retirement visa up to 30 days BEFORE it is due and it will run concurrently from the date your current visa year ends, so you do no lose anything by getting it sorted nice and early. However. with the 90 day reporting the next reporting date is always 90 days from when you LAST reported so that means you can in fact report every 97 days if you want to make use of the maximum period of 7 days grace, though the 90 day report procedure is so quick and easy I see no point in messing around that way and wringing the last drop out of the system.

For the guy who has gone 60 days or so over his reporting date then yes I would go to your local immigration office apologetically and pay your 2000 Baht fine, oh and be polite and Mr. Nice guy when they interview you as to why you are so late. Should be no problem unless you keep overlooking this 90 days requirement. They are human and they know any of us can have an oversight and forget it or forget to set your reminder, but yes for sure that should be only very occasionally indeed.

Personally never had any problems with immigration as I always have the papers they require, make sure I meet their criteria, and be tidy and polite. If you do that you should never have a problem. It is up to you to meet their visa requirements as we are guests and it is NOT our country. Compared to many countries the requirements here are not unreasonable IMHO. Sure we would all like to see some changes like, for example, the right for retirees to be able to legally own a small amount of residential land (say even just 1/2 Rai) for our retirmeent home, as was I believe being seriously proposed by the Democrats in the pre Thaksin Government 12 years or so ago. That would encourage more retirees to move here which in turn is good for Thailand as they bring in regular retirement income from abroad of course.

I cannot see the problem of allowing foreigners to own a limited amount of land. The authorities clearly don't want foreign investors buying up prime land (cities and beachfronts) and living and working in London for years I can understand that but a small piece of land to call your home should be fair exchange for the money genuine ex pats bring into the country.

I cannot see the problem of allowing foreigners to own a limited amount of land. The authorities clearly don't want foreign investors buying up prime land (cities and beachfronts) and living and working in London for years I can understand that but a small piece of land to call your home should be fair exchange for the money genuine ex pats bring into the country.

Yes this would easily be cured by stating that land could only be owned for principle domicile (i.e. they have to live there - and only one such place). However, with a wife and kids its easy enough to put the land in the kid's names (use a usufruct with kids rather than spouse), but it is still a catch all law that hits the wrong target - lets face it big investors still own the land, just look at Phuket beach front ownership, but foreign spouses with Thai families are denied.

• Like 1

Or don't do anything. They don't actually check when you leave the country; so as long as you leave the country before your next visa extension date is up, nobody will care, or fine you.

I just realized I'm a week or two over myself. Big deal; I'm not due for an extension until December, and will have several international trips before that.

pretty clever to misinform people with such blattant bull... if he leaves the country and they see his mistake its not 2000 baht but 4000 baht he will have to pay ...

Source? I've done it before; no fine. Perhaps things changed; is there a link or first-hand account somewhere?

Also as somebody mentioned, I am not sure it does reset your 90 day reporting clock as that is surely tied to your retirement visa and the last time you reported. Certainly when I made a holiday trip to China a few years ago the 90 day report date did not change but of course I did sensibly have a re-entry permit so kept my original retirement visa intact. .

Yep, leaving and re-entering the country definitely resets the clock.

Just imagine you are away on a 2 month trip and your 90 day report is due two weeks into your trip. You obviously can't do it because you're out of the country. So when you come back it starts from the day you arrive.

Also as somebody mentioned, I am not sure it does reset your 90 day reporting clock as that is surely tied to your retirement visa and the last time you reported. Certainly when I made a holiday trip to China a few years ago the 90 day report date did not change but of course I did sensibly have a re-entry permit so kept my original retirement visa intact. .

Just imagine you are away on a 2 month trip and your 90 day report is due two weeks into your trip. You obviously can't do it because you're out of the country. So when you come back it starts from the day you arrive.

Yes and you put your address on the arrivals card (along with visa and passport number) - so there is your report!

Always the best thing to do is tell the truth and pay what`s due. The immigration people aren`t stupid and if you play straight they remember and are more than willing to iron out any future problems. That`s been my experience anyway. Try to score petty points against them and it may well count against you in any dealings you have with them.

Yes and you put your address on the arrivals card (along with visa and passport number) - so there is your report!

Okay I was not 100% sure on this so thanks for the info. Although, I am sure it did not change my 90 day reporting date when I went to China albeit was only for a week on a re-entry permit.

The fine is 2,000 baht for overstay or 5,000 baht with attitude. The 200 baht per day is excess beyond fine if you fail to pay.

Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be

punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for

each day which passes until the law is complied with.

The reporting is 15 days early to 7 days late if doing in person.

Procedure and notification

The foreigner makes the notification in person, or

The foreigner authorises another person to make the notification, or

The foreigner makes the notification by registered mail.

The notification must be made within 15 days before or 7 days after the period of 90 days expires.

The first application for extension of stay by the foreigner is equivalent to the notification of staying in the Kingdom over 90 days.

My bad also in my earlier comment re: 2000 B for failing to make a 90 day address report on time.

It is a fine up to 5000 B.

The real confusion among many regarding the 90 day address reporting is this:

The 90 day address reporting is a policy that applies to all foreign residents who are here for more than 90 days at a time.

They are required to let Immigration know their current address. That is all.

It has absolutely nothing to do with your visa, or visa extension. It does not validate your continued stay in Thailand under whatever visa or visa extension you have.

The dates of your visa, or visa extension, may or may not coincide with your 90 day address reporting date. You leave the country, you reset the 90 day address reporting clock. Your visa, or visa extension could well be on another time cycle.

I have friends who looked at that little piece of paper (TM47 90 day address reporting stub) and assumed the date stamped in red for the next reporting, was the next renewal. It is not, and there is a clear warning on this paper stub stating the same.

I have other friends, who didn't do address reporting for....shall we say way more than a month or 2. Took the paper (the TM47 address reporting stub) out of their passport, and flew or walked out with no issue. Why? Because when you are exiting the Kingdom, the 90 day address reporting thing becomes moot, as in a non-issue.

The TM47 address reporting is (and I am belaboring the point) completely separate from one's visa or visa extension.

Absolutely correct, lopburi3 (who is by the way is our most gifted mod regarding all things Thai Visa related).

Let me explain this misconception about 90 day address reporting in another way.

I'll use the example of Mr/Ms, X, Y and Z.

Mr. X enters the Kingdom on a Tourist Visa, issued in Bonn. Decides he wants to stay in Thailand and make a home here.

So Mr. X goes to Penang, Malaysia and applies for a non-immigrant category "O" (as in "Other") visa.

He gets a 90 day non-immigrant category "O" visa, extendable on expiry up to 1 year.

He applies for an extension at CM Imm, based on retirement. He gets an additional 9 months (3+9=12).

After that, he is issued an extension good for 12 months at a time.

Mr Y applies for a non-immigrant category "O" visa in Los Angeles, good for 1 year. He arrives in Thailand on his 1 year visa, but has to exit the Kingdom every 90 days to maintain the validity of his visa.

Ms. Z is a businesswomen, running an export business who has a non-immigrant category "B" (as in Business). Even though she's been here for 18 years exporting essential oils for perfume production to Paris, she has to leave the Kingdom every 90 days under this visa scheme.

The confusion arises when people who come here under the above examples, and the myriad numerous other permutations of personal examples....have this 90 day thing stick in their head, when they convert to a retirement or matrimonial or whatever extension, good for 1 year.

People here under non-imm cat O, B, etc. have to leave the country every 90 days to maintain the validity of their visa.

People here on extensions, good for 1 year, have to do address reporting every 90 days after their first entry, until they exit again. Which resets the clock.

The 2 different "90 day" things have nothing whatsoever in common.

Absolutely correct, lopburi3 (who is by the way is our most gifted mod regarding all things Thai Visa related).

Let me explain this misconception about 90 day address reporting in another way.

I'll use the example of Mr/Ms, X, Y and Z.

Mr. X enters the Kingdom on a Tourist Visa, issued in Bonn. Decides he wants to stay in Thailand and make a home here.

So Mr. X goes to Penang, Malaysia and applies for a non-immigrant category "O" (as in "Other") visa.

He gets a 90 day non-immigrant category "O" visa, extendable on expiry up to 1 year.

He applies for an extension at CM Imm, based on retirement. He gets an additional 9 months (3+9=12).

After that, he is issued an extension good for 12 months at a time.

Mr Y applies for a non-immigrant category "O" visa in Los Angeles, good for 1 year. He arrives in Thailand on his 1 year visa, but has to exit the Kingdom every 90 days to maintain the validity of his visa.

Ms. Z is a businesswomen, running an export business who has a non-immigrant category "B" (as in Business). Even though she's been here for 18 years exporting essential oils for perfume production to Paris, she has to leave the Kingdom every 90 days under this visa scheme.

The confusion arises when people who come here under the above examples, and the myriad numerous other permutations of personal examples....have this 90 day thing stick in their head, when they convert to a retirement or matrimonial or whatever extension, good for 1 year.

People here under non-imm cat O, B, etc. have to leave the country every 90 days to maintain the validity of their visa.

People here on extensions, good for 1 year, have to do address reporting every 90 days after their first entry, until they exit again. Which resets the clock.

The 2 different "90 day" things have nothing whatsoever in common.

We will soon be offered courses in 90 day reporting.biggrin.png

• Like 1

(01) This 90-day reporting issue has raised its ugly head in one form or another on many previous ThaiVisa forums. In a reasonably recent one (www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/486830-90-day-reporting-why/ dated 2011-07-30), the following statement was posted:

(01a) #40Tao: "Last year, I asked a senior official at IMMO/Bkk why they required the 90-day report. She said that it was needed "in case the foreigner has a problem...." My interpretation is that they wanted to be able to track you down if you were on some "wanted" list."

(02) My immediate thoughts were that this is one of the few, if not the only potentially legitimate explanation that I've seen posted for the "reason" for the 90-day report. I stress "reason" for the 90-day report, rather than the laws or regulations that establish it. It's also worth noting that this explanation has come from a Thai Immigration Office (TIO) "senior official", rather than just some minion in the TIO. This seems to add weight to its authenticity, but it nonetheless, could still be just an opinion of that senior official, rather than an absolute statement of official Thai policy. In the absence of any statement of which I am aware, from any official Thai policymaker as to the practical "reason" for such a policy, or any evidence that such a practical "reason" actually does or ever did exist, then it is worth analysing this senior official's statement.

(03) Pardon my cynicism in this analysis, but the senior official's statement is so preposterous that it's hard not to be sceptical. Let me explain by asking some hypothetical questions.

(04) Could this "wanted" list be a "security-threat wanted" list, because the immigrant/alien/foreigner involved has just been reported as being a nefarious individual, & so should be put behind bars ASAP ("steel-type" bars that is, not "Pattaya-type")? Could that list be presented as: "Wanted for flying large a/c into tall buildings without official approval or ATC clearance" or "Wanted for being a suspected 'Transformer' that is alleged to self-convert rapidly from human form into a 10-legged monster or 22-wheeled machine that then consumes 30 Thai Nationals in a single gulp"? If so, then does any law-abiding immigrant/alien/foreigner, or any supposedly well-meaning TIO official really believe that such a "wanted" individual/transformer would comply with the 90-day reporting regulations, or would provide an honest & correct address? I may be the one that's naive, but I strongly doubt it!

(04a) NOTE: This posting continues in Para (05) in the WunMoneyBunny post that immediately follows this.

Edited by WunMoneyBunny

(05) On the other hand, any law-abiding immigrant/alien/foreigner could be on a "non-threatening wanted" list because for example, he/she should return to his/her home country immediately, owing to a critically ill member of the family. Here's another example: the law-abiding foreigner could be on a "non-threatening wanted" list because a benevolent but ailing Nigerian gentleman requires his/her bank account details immediately to enable the deposit of a very large sum of money before the Nigerian croaks. If that is the case, then the first place that the TIO authorities should & probably would contact is the foreigner's embassy or consulate, & leave the searching up to them. The foreigner is expected to keep his/her embassy informed for just such a purpose, but if the foreigner chooses to do otherwise, then he/she will suffer the consequences of not being contactable, not the TIO. "Bye bye never-to-be-seen-again NOK (sob)", or "Bye bye large sum of money (considerable sob)!"

(06) Even if the TIO officials did extend themselves by offering assistance in locating a "non-threatening" foreigner, the extra but very occasional effort required to achieve that, would be far outweighed by all the extra effort involved in the constant receipt & processing by the TIO of the hundreds of thousands of 90 day reports. This even assumes that the "non-threatening" foreigner is not at his/her address or mobile phone number, as would or could be stated in the documents for the annual renewal of the foreigner's Thai Visa. The chances that the stated address &/or mobile phone number would be invalid or out of date, are extremely remote, especially for retired foreigners who would tend to remain in the property that they have purchased in Thailand. As a result, I can see no justification whatsoever in this ridiculous 90 day reporting practice.

(07) Please don't tell me it must be done "because it's the law"! I may be quoting a pair of cliches here, but I think it's appropriate to say in this case that "The law is an ass", & "It's been made for the guidance of wise men & the obeyance of fools". I like to think that a large percentage of foreigners who have retired to Thailand, are not in the category of "fools"!

(08) So, does any ThaiVisa member have such an answer? If so, it could the beginnings of a possibly more involved question: "What is the meaning of life"?

(08a) NOTE: This posting continues in Para (09) in the WunMoneyBunny post that immediately follows this.

Edited by WunMoneyBunny

(09) What we're looking for here is some justification for the existence of the law; some practical, genuine & intelligent reason as to why it was formulated in the first place. If this relatively simple question could be answered satisfactorily, then perhaps those law-abiding foreigners who currently take exception to this reporting requirement, might feel more inclined to respect the regulation, or to dutifully pay the relevant fine when they have failed to comply. Alternatively, they might not be tempted to avoid the regulation by using any one of a number of possibly legal or somewhat dubious procedures that are recorded in this & other forums. These retired foreigners might then also show some compassion for the considerable number of TIO minions, who are destined to spend a large portion of their life, processing these reports.

(10) Please put us out of our collective misery by providing an answer, if you can. Otherwise, just post "I agree" or words to that effect, or click on "Like This". Believe it or not, this is the end of this post.

I have other friends, who didn't do address reporting for....shall we say way more than a month or 2. Took the paper (the TM47 address reporting stub) out of their passport, and flew or walked out with no issue. Why? Because when you are exiting the Kingdom, the 90 day address reporting thing becomes moot, as in a non-issue.

As have I. But be careful saying that here, or it gets called "blattant bull" (sic)