Bringing Beers From Lao, Possible By Air?

gravion

Hello boys and girls, i;ve been to vientiene by bus before and it was possible to pack those beer lao in my backpack.

this time im going by plane, so im assuming my bag will be going through the xray.

they will be confiscated right?

countermeasure would be to buy them at the duty free? are they more expensive comapred to the local stores?

also im going by vientine -> luampabang ->cnx

if i bought them at vietine dutyfree, will they be jacked at the luampabang xray customs?

cheerios

It is sad that we have to consider this kind of madness as reality. I still hope for a return to the days when a bottle of beer is really just a bottle of beer, that one can carry with them on a plane. I am getting very tired of putting liquids in my suitcase. There has been more than one accident.

Lao only once, but several times from Africa and Europe. Before 9/11 you could get a six pack as carry on no probs.

No being desperate, just take couple of tins and bring them to my friend who likes his beer and is always happy to taste something new drunk.gif

I'm somewhat perplexed by the OP's question.

Of course you can bring in up to 1 liter of alcohol, whether Beer Lao or whatever, in your checked luggage.

Or you could go to Luxsana, the liquor wholesaler located at the NE corner of Huay Kaew Road and Irrigation Canal Road....and buy as many cases of either the dark or light Beer Lao as your little heart desires. There are veritable mountains of this brew lining the entrance of the emporium, last time I visited a few days ago.

(No doubt it is cheaper in Laos; Thai excise tax, etc.).

coffee1.gif

I'm somewhat perplexed by the OP's question.

Of course you can bring in up to 1 liter of alcohol, whether Beer Lao or whatever, in your checked luggage.

Or you could go to Luxsana, the liquor wholesaler located at the NE corner of Huay Kaew Road and Irrigation Canal Road....and buy as many cases of either the dark or light Beer Lao as your little heart desires. There are veritable mountains of this brew lining the entrance of the emporium, last time I visited a few days ago.

(No doubt it is cheaper in Laos; Thai excise tax, etc.).

coffee1.gif

Or for a more competitive price at Makro.

All that for a liter of beer ??!! Really ??!! And on a plane, in the luggage !! Check out the two posts above !! And there are a lot of local pubs who have it. Check around!

And while on this fascinating topic, what mystifies me is why imported non-alcoholic beer sells for the same ludicrously high price as imported real beer, ie 85-115 bt a bottle. Is it that people don't understand what "alkohol-frei" (tend to be German beers obviously) means, or is it because imported beers are just so much better with or without the key ingredient?

Being in Lao and having the opportunity to bring 3 tins of cheap beer back is an opportunity any self respecting cheap charlie would not miss for anything. Bit the same as taking their own beer to airport or getting some from the family mart at swampy just to avoid buying the expensive stuff on airside coffee1.gif

Not for me though, i buy my beer bottle at the time from closes possible vendor. Usually over the bar.

<p>I think the limit is something like 6 small bottles of beer. Just stuff as many as you can into your hand luggage, and some into your checked lugguge and you'll be fine. Let's face it, it's not the strictest country/airport, and if worst comes to worst they confiscate some bottles off you. </p>

<div id="myEventWatcherDiv" style="display:none;"> </div>