Kawasaki Versys 2012 Purchase

Polanskiman

EBC HH pads can be bought from http://www.intobikes...cts?st=pt&pt=47 and are VAT free if sent to Thailand so much cheaper than buying here and shipping is cheap too, about 750baht when I last bought some and no import tax paid either :-)

Look like good prices but seems they don't stock pads for the EX650 or KLE650 or at least they don't appear on their site) and they don't tell you the shipping costs either...

Their shipping costs seem pretty steep though... Have you ordered from this site before?

From the site:

"You have chosen to have your order delivered to an address in Thailand. We need to calculate the price for delivery manually. Please place your order and we will let you know how much this will be by email. We will ask you to approve this amount before you will be charged anything."

Thailand can certainly charge duty and VAT on items imported from the UK...

"Goods shipped to countries outside of the EU may be subject to local taxes, import duties or customs charges prior to you being able to take posession of your package. We suggest you contact your local customs office for further information prior to placing your order. We cannot accept responsibility for charges levied by other countries as customs policies vary widely from country to country."

youve completely ignored the part where he wrote "EBC HH pads can be bought from http://www.intobikes...cts?st=pt&pt=47 and are VAT free if sent to Thailand so much cheaper than buying here and shipping is cheap too, about 750baht when I last bought some and no import tax paid either :-) "

why dont you match those prices tony ? clap2.gif

Can you find EBC HH Sintered pads for ER6n, ERf6, Ninja 650 or Versys on their site? I can't... coffee1.gif

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

EBC HH pads can be bought from http://www.intobikes...cts?st=pt&pt=47 and are VAT free if sent to Thailand so much cheaper than buying here and shipping is cheap too, about 750baht when I last bought some and no import tax paid either :-)

Look like good prices but seems they don't stock pads for the EX650 or KLE650 or at least they don't appear on their site) and they don't tell you the shipping costs either...

Their shipping costs seem pretty steep though... Have you ordered from this site before?

From the site:

"You have chosen to have your order delivered to an address in Thailand. We need to calculate the price for delivery manually. Please place your order and we will let you know how much this will be by email. We will ask you to approve this amount before you will be charged anything."

"Goods shipped to countries outside of the EU may be subject to local taxes, import duties or customs charges prior to you being able to take posession of your package. We suggest you contact your local customs office for further information prior to placing your order. We cannot accept responsibility for charges levied by other countries as customs policies vary widely from country to country."

youve completely ignored the part where he wrote "EBC HH pads can be bought from http://www.intobikes...cts?st=pt&pt=47 and are VAT free if sent to Thailand so much cheaper than buying here and shipping is cheap too, about 750baht when I last bought some and no import tax paid either :-) "

why dont you match those prices tony ? clap2.gif

Can you find EBC HH Sintered pads for ER6n, ERf6, Ninja 650 or Versys on their site? I can't... coffee1.gif

google is your friend,not had your coffe yet cupcake ? ;)

google is your friend,not had your coffe yet cupcake ? wink.png

Just woke up actually and the coffee is still kicking in coffee1.gif - was pretty beat from the fantastic day at BIRA Circuit yesterday :)

And no, I can't find EBC HH Sintered Brake Pads for the ER6n, ER6f, Ninja 650 or Versys on the site that Stu shared with us: www.intobikes.co.uk/products?st=pt&pt=47

Can you? passifier.gif

Thanks a lot guys for all the useful information.

@ Tony: Thank for the links and detailed pics. You are right, I will spend most of my time on pavement.

@ madjbs: Thank for the link. I'll have a look at it

@ wana: thanks for the warning wink.png

@ Thai4me: As stated by Tony previously the Versys 1000 is not, and not sure if it will be imported to Thailand anytime soon. Let's see!

@ Nikster: Thanks for the advise. Perhaps to save cost I'll do as you say and use the stock pads since I will certainly take it easy! I'm thinking that what's important is to protect the engine in case the bike drops...and certainly it will!!

@ skybluestu: Thanks for the links. I'll have a look at it later today after work!!

@ Snowflake: The dealer has received a list of 10 customers, however he has a quota and is only receiving 6 brand new shiny yellow Versys in March. If I'm lucky enough I should be within the 6 first customers, if not then I'll have to wait until April or even May. That's what I was told.

Tony and Wana, no need to post-4641-1156694005.gif over some links. Lets keep it cool here as we all aim the same: hit the road for the best unless hit-the-fan.gif

Edited by Polanskiman

I own a 2011 Versys and just changed from the stock tires to the Pirelli Scorpion Trail here in Bangkok. The tires definitely ride better, not so hard with the recommended factory air pressure of 32F and 36R (PSI). They are a little noisy at speed, lets say anything over 80kph you start to hear them but it's no real issue as it's a bike so there is noise anyway. I chose these tires because of the roads in Thailand, they are sometimes (well maybe a lot of times) unpredictable in their surface. Some roads just end in dirt, others have holes that you will hit one day so this tire offered me a good compromise. They handle well and for what type of bike this is I would highly suggest them unless you are a high speed junkie in which case in Thailand you will probably end up dead due to the roads. (I always look at the guys here with the super fast race bikes and wonder where in the world they can actually drive them besides a closed track, the roads are just not the good although I do appreciate a nice race bike.)

Brakes, mine are fine. With the ABS which I have only kicked in one time at a slow speed on the front, stopping seems to be no issue, you just have to willing to pull the brake hard and be ready for the bike to dive forward due to the long suspension travel. Then again this is not a super bike, again, how fast can you actually drive in Bangkok smile.png? Not fast, trust me the traffic is insane and the open roads are not European and USA smooth..

Definitely recommend the engine crash guards, the Kawasaki dealer sells, I think they are the SW Motech out of Germany but they are pricey because they are imported and well, German. You can find the same thing here in Thailand made local, even looks the same for less and the same quality. Some people recommend a bigger windscreen, I like the factory one set to a high position and also that it is clear Lexan and the big tinted ones make it hard for me to see at night. I instead put my money into a really nice helmet which will set you back anywhere from 9-15k Baht (something DOT Approved, NOT a Thai manufactured helmet such as Index) as in the end the helmet will help keep you alive, the windscreen won't and a good helmet will reduce the wind noise and air buffeting due to it's aerodynamics. One thing I like but is expensive is the Kawasaki factory hand guards, at high speeds, well anything over 80k in my opinion, a rock or bug hitting your hands hurts badly and will most likely leave a mark your not happy with. The hand guards keep this from happening and they look nice to.

Other than that, watch your oil. It seems that the oil turns black rather fast on the new bikes due to break-in (at least mine did). Make sure the you change the oil AND filter. Took my bike to the Kawasaki dealer here in Bangkok, told them I wanted a full service with oil change and of course in Thai style they change the dam_n oil and left the old filter on the bike. Nothing like new contaminated oil, they even tried to blame me by saying I didn't request a filter change - morons in my opinion and I had to pay them again to change the oil with filter plus 50 baht to make the tech happy. So now I change my own oil to include clean and lube my own chain because they don't do a good job, at least from my experience and will only take the bike to them when required to keep the factory 2 year warranty in force.

Lets see, I like to change the oil and clean the chain about every 3500km-4000km, maybe that is a little much but it's cheap. I know the book only states 1000km and then 12,000km but to me that is way to long (11,00km before changing your oil on a bike engine is a long time). My experience is if you change the oil on any vehicle (including the filter - LOL) that it will last just about forever.

Take care and good luck - you will enjoy this bike.

Todd

Edited by commande
  • Like 1

From the site:

I didn't actually check they currently had them in stock but I know they sell them as I've ordered from them before so just thought I'd share some info. Delivery was just under 15GBP which is around 730baht and I didn't have to pay any import duty, very seldom do when delivered using Thai post.

It is up to the individual whether they are happy to pay the Thailand prices on imported goods or try and do it themselves cheaper. I've bought a fair few items from you with delivery in 1-2 days and often buy in Thailand as, with shipping and possible taxes added, the difference is minimal. But when my email to the EBC dealer in Thailand went unanswered I found an alternative and it worked out cheaper and had them within a week so I thought I'd share with fellow bikers.

For heavens sake, Tony, Wana, can you take the bickering somewhere else? If Tony has a price on his brake pads, let him charge that, why do you really have to care so much?

I guess its Tonys attitude that makes people angry. He combines his passion for riding with commercial interests and promotions. And if this weren't enough, he likes to continiously rant and insult everyone who doesn't want to play with him. Its a pity that commercial interests come up that often here at TV.

As a note to retail sales of bike related anything in Thailand. Most things are imported which requires the added cost of paying VAT and IMPORT tax assessed at whatever the rate is, I think VAT is around 7-8% and then import duties are ?% based on how it is classified by customs, sporting goods as an example are 8%, not sure what auto parts would be taxed at. Sometimes if you know the right people at the Thai post office you don't have to pay the full rate because you can bribe them or they are just confused and have no idea what to do. FEDEX and DHL, forget it, your going to pay.

It is in some cases cheaper to order the parts abroad and pay the 16+% taxes because in Thailand it appears most people don't have the ability to set up offshore wholesale accounts with vendors or don't know how or it's not worth it because of limited sales, so they purchase at retail, bring the products into country, pay taxes and then double the cost so they can make a profit (time is money right) - this is a normal method of markup on most things sold, not just bike or car parts. I don't blame anyone for trying to make some money, some people will pay while others will not. It is up to the consumer to be vigilant in shopping and spending their money/retirement fund (most cases the later), some people are wiser than others. This being said no reason to blame anyone on price, you want a better price shop around, get creative, learn the import/export rules of Thailand, nothing else you get a free education and maybe you can start offering products at a more competitive price point (not speaking to anyone in particular here).

Thailand is not import friendly like a lot of countries, they are however very export friendly, of course, it's Asia and everyone wants products cheap, just look around, most Thai's don't even clear 10k baht a month, most people here burn through 20-50k baht a month just jerking around. You want something from another country be prepared to pay. For the new people here, you don't believe me look at the Grey Market bikes, they sell them here without Green Book for 2-3 times what they sell in the county of origin such as USA and they are pieced together from 3 different containers after they arrive in Thailand., most have no matching VIN, no warrantee, no Green Book so you can't register them unless you want to pay anywhere from 50,000-100,000k baht for a Green Book so you can register the bike - look at the price of cars, cost the same amount for a new Toyota 4 wheel drive as it does a Toyota Camry, crazy in my opinion. Kawasaki, while the dealers are not the best on the mechanical side minus a few select technicians, they are one of the few that sell Big Bikes (funny they call them that here :) ) in country that have a warrantee. Aftermarket parts, well already discussed that here to death. To each their own.

Have fun everyone - ride safe...

Todd

• Like 1

I own a 2011 Versys and just changed from the stock tires to the Pirelli Scorpion Trail here in Bangkok. The tires definitely ride better, not so hard with the recommended factory air pressure of 32F and 36R (PSI). They are a little noisy at speed, lets say anything over 80kph you start to hear them but it's no real issue as it's a bike so there is noise anyway. I chose these tires because of the roads in Thailand, they are sometimes (well maybe a lot of times) unpredictable in their surface. Some roads just end in dirt, others have holes that you will hit one day so this tire offered me a good compromise. They handle well and for what type of bike this is I would highly suggest them unless you are a high speed junkie in which case in Thailand you will probably end up dead due to the roads. (I always look at the guys here with the super fast race bikes and wonder where in the world they can actually drive them besides a closed track, the roads are just not the good although I do appreciate a nice race bike.)

Brakes, mine are fine. With the ABS which I have only kicked in one time at a slow speed on the front, stopping seems to be no issue, you just have to willing to pull the brake hard and be ready for the bike to dive forward due to the long suspension travel. Then again this is not a super bike, again, how fast can you actually drive in Bangkok smile.png? Not fast, trust me the traffic is insane and the open roads are not European and USA smooth..

Definitely recommend the engine crash guards, the Kawasaki dealer sells, I think they are the SW Motech out of Germany but they are pricey because they are imported and well, German. You can find the same thing here in Thailand made local, even looks the same for less and the same quality. Some people recommend a bigger windscreen, I like the factory one set to a high position and also that it is clear Lexan and the big tinted ones make it hard for me to see at night. I instead put my money into a really nice helmet which will set you back anywhere from 9-15k Baht (something DOT Approved, NOT a Thai manufactured helmet such as Index) as in the end the helmet will help keep you alive, the windscreen won't and a good helmet will reduce the wind noise and air buffeting due to it's aerodynamics. One thing I like but is expensive is the Kawasaki factory hand guards, at high speeds, well anything over 80k in my opinion, a rock or bug hitting your hands hurts badly and will most likely leave a mark your not happy with. The hand guards keep this from happening and they look nice to.

Other than that, watch your oil. It seems that the oil turns black rather fast on the new bikes due to break-in (at least mine did). Make sure the you change the oil AND filter. Took my bike to the Kawasaki dealer here in Bangkok, told them I wanted a full service with oil change and of course in Thai style they change the dam_n oil and left the old filter on the bike. Nothing like new contaminated oil, they even tried to blame me by saying I didn't request a filter change - morons in my opinion and I had to pay them again to change the oil with filter plus 50 baht to make the tech happy. So now I change my own oil to include clean and lube my own chain because they don't do a good job, at least from my experience and will only take the bike to them when required to keep the factory 2 year warranty in force.

Lets see, I like to change the oil and clean the chain about every 3500km-4000km, maybe that is a little much but it's cheap. I know the book only states 1000km and then 12,000km but to me that is way to long (11,00km before changing your oil on a bike engine is a long time). My experience is if you change the oil on any vehicle (including the filter - LOL) that it will last just about forever.

Take care and good luck - you will enjoy this bike.

Todd

Thanks for sharing your experience. I'll keep your recommendations it in mind when I get the bike. For now, its just painful to wait!!! :)

I guess its Tonys attitude that makes people angry. He combines his passion for riding with commercial interests and promotions. And if this weren't enough, he likes to continiously rant and insult everyone who doesn't want to play with him. Its a pity that commercial interests come up that often here at TV.

I disagree with you, I didn't see any insult or ranting in this thread... at least not yet! I just saw some bickering. Nothing serious but should be avoided as it's useless and goes against forum rules! However it doesn't really matter what I think. Let's all keep focused on the topic so moderators can rest a bit! wink.png

Just to add my 2c, I would personally pay more for an item in the country. I am no stranger to importing parts for my bikes, atvs and my other play things.

To get away from paying taxes sometimes does not mean you can get away all the time.

No one he has indexed the risk of losses in transit. And I can tell you that I have lost small to large heavy things.

It is a doubled edge sword. If you buy insurance for the full value, the customs will likely retain your items, if you under declare, you can only insure for the sum you declare.

Before the items arrives in your hands, it is passed on to many people in various places. There is no telling where pilferage can happen.

My most recent loss was for a 3000 pounds winch for my Atv. Usd380 plus $100 shipping. Tracking shows it was lost somewhere in the US.

So shipping has its perils.

• Like 1

Just to add my 2c, I would personally pay more for an item in the country. I am no stranger to importing parts for my bikes, atvs and my other play things.

To get away from paying taxes sometimes does not mean you can get away all the time.

No one he has indexed the risk of losses in transit. And I can tell you that I have lost small to large heavy things.

It is a doubled edge sword. If you buy insurance for the full value, the customs will likely retain your items, if you under declare, you can only insure for the sum you declare.

Before the items arrives in your hands, it is passed on to many people in various places. There is no telling where pilferage can happen.

My most recent loss was for a 3000 pounds winch for my Atv. Usd380 plus $100 shipping. Tracking shows it was lost somewhere in the US.

So shipping has its perils.

if you buy something with a credit card youre pretty much guaranteed the item or a refund if it gets pilfered along the way somewhere

to lose a 480 USD winch without following it up is pretty easy going of you unless you have a lot of cash to spare ,the retailer is legally bound to get it to you and if his courior lost it he has to refunnd you anyway and take it up with them to claim back his own losses

i have a lot of experience in this business and if i send a 500 dollar item and it doesnt get there or even arrives damaged i know i have to fix the sitaution or theres gonna be a charge back coming and the banks always side with their own customer over a foreign retailer

I am aware that I can request the bank to do a charge back. But it is not fair on the seller. When you purchase an item, you have the choice of shipment methods. The cheaper airmail does not have tracking and just gets dropped off in you mail box. Registered or sign for mail is more expensive and requires someone to account for it. Insured mail is better but will entail more cost.

The choice is with the buyer to choose. If you pay for a normal service and when the item don't turn up, the responsibility is yours. The seller has shown me proof of postage in the form of a registration number. I tracked it on USPS and it was recorded as parcel received. It did not move from then on. So do I hold the seller responsible?

If I paid for insured mail, then it is a different scenario.

I am aware that I can request the bank to do a charge back. But it is not fair on the seller. When you purchase an item, you have the choice of shipment methods. The cheaper airmail does not have tracking and just gets dropped off in you mail box. Registered or sign for mail is more expensive and requires someone to account for it. Insured mail is better but will entail more cost.

The choice is with the buyer to choose. If you pay for a normal service and when the item don't turn up, the responsibility is yours. The seller has shown me proof of postage in the form of a registration number. I tracked it on USPS and it was recorded as parcel received. It did not move from then on. So do I hold the seller responsible?

its a personal choice but any retailer thats shipping 500 dollar items with the cheapest unregistered mail service is just asking for trouble

hes leaving him self open to not only corrupt postal staff but also dishonest customers who would recieve the item ,wait until 59 days later

when the postman has lost all memory of delivering anything and claim he hasnt recieved it

when we used to sell laptops online way back this happened so many times ebay and paypal and our merchant bank insisted on signed delievry

only for any signifigant value items and as far as im aware this hasnt changed

even items that are worth next to nothing has to be signed for thesedays and its for the reason of protecting the seller from the fraud that unreg shippinng brings with it

a postage reciept also doesnt prove anything ,its the delivery confirmation thats important to ensure nobody gets ripped off when making international transactions and if in doubt use a third party escrow service service when the the cosignment is too valueable to be paid with a paypal or credit card acount

rsonal

Don't see them at this link. They have EBC pads, but not for the Versys or ER-6.

They do have some Brembos for around 30 GBP / pair which is ~ 1,500 baht. As Tony pointed out they won't tell you about shipping until you've ordered which is a bit odd. FWIW the EBC pads for "start at 17 GBP" but when I select a ZX-6R for example, they're actually 34 GBP. Kind of a moot point though as they don't have for Versys. Maybe they stopped selling 'em?

its a personal choice but any retailer thats shipping 500 dollar items with the cheapest unregistered mail service is just asking for trouble

hes leaving him self open to not only corrupt postal staff but also dishonest customers who would recieve the item ,wait until 59 days later

when the postman has lost all memory of delivering anything and claim he hasnt recieved it

when we used to sell laptops online way back this happened so many times ebay and paypal and our merchant bank insisted on signed delievry

only for any signifigant value items and as far as im aware this hasnt changed

even items that are worth next to nothing has to be signed for thesedays and its for the reason of protecting the seller from the fraud that unreg shippinng brings with it

a postage reciept also doesnt prove anything ,its the delivery confirmation thats important to ensure nobody gets ripped off when making international transactions and if in doubt use a third party escrow service service when the the cosignment is too valueable to be paid with a paypal or credit card acount

rsonal

For the record, the lost shipment was sent registered as requested. This requires a signature. On the same day, 3 individual boxes was posted from the same location. 2 arrived without problems.

I have bought from him many many times in the past. He runs a large Yamaha dealership in the US. I go to him for all my Yamaha stuff. Therefore I have no reasons to believe that he is fleecing me off.

Having said that, I feel bad to hijack this thread for other discussions. I am aware that there are available recourse but what I was trying to point out is that purchasing via the net has its risk. I would put more value in an item if they are located nearby to where I live thus the willingness to pay more for someone else to take the risk of shipment.

Don't see them at this link. They have EBC pads, but not for the Versys or ER-6.

They do have some Brembos for around 30 GBP / pair which is ~ 1,500 baht. As Tony pointed out they won't tell you about shipping until you've ordered which is a bit odd. FWIW the EBC pads for "start at 17 GBP" but when I select a ZX-6R for example, they're actually 34 GBP. Kind of a moot point though as they don't have for Versys. Maybe they stopped selling 'em?

As I said, I didn't check they had them in stock but they normally do. Don't forget to minus 20% VAT if ordering from Thailand. These guys do have them in stock http://www.wemoto.com/amend/ for about 3000baht in delivery for two front pairs, if you are asked to pay import that will obviosuly go up so buying here is probably wiser.

Edited by skybluestu

I bought a 2011 Versys on August 31st. Have now done 10,000klms. Unless you are going to ride on the track, the stock brakes will out perform you and the stock tyres will do you fine for 8000klms. I bought a package with my bike which included a bigger stand pad, hand guards, crash bars, radiator guard, rear mudguard, hard Givi panniers and upgraded screen. I have since added Pirelli tyres (excellent in the mountains) and given it a wash...It is a very good bike straight out of the box and doesn't need any tinkering unless you want to do track days and play with things. Also I have reset the preload on the rear as locally it is set to cope with a 68kg rider and I weigh 105kg.

Ride it-don't play with it in the garage...it simply does not need it.

• Like 2

I bought a 2011 Versys on August 31st. Have now done 10,000klms. Unless you are going to ride on the track, the stock brakes will out perform you and the stock tyres will do you fine for 8000klms. I bought a package with my bike which included a bigger stand pad, hand guards, crash bars, radiator guard, rear mudguard, hard Givi panniers and upgraded screen. I have since added Pirelli tyres (excellent in the mountains) and given it a wash...It is a very good bike straight out of the box and doesn't need any tinkering unless you want to do track days and play with things. Also I have reset the preload on the rear as locally it is set to cope with a 68kg rider and I weigh 105kg. Ride it-don't play with it in the garage...it simply does not need it.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting indeed. For now I think I will simply go for the engine guards. I believe it's the basic in order to preserve the engine in case of dropping the bike or crash. Tires and brakes will have to wait for my wallet to get full again!

By the way how do you reset the preload? I'm close to 90Kg so is it necessary?

Also, for the radiator guard and the rear mudguard are these useful/necessary? Anyone please advise. Thanks.

Other than sliders, I have made no adjustments to my Ninja 650. Well, I did move the ring on the shock one notch after riding it a bit, to adjust the preload. I assume the Versys has the same or similar shock so it is very easy. Ask the guys when you pick up the bike.

I am another proponent of “ride it-don’t play with it”. Like me you may just be happy with your bike the way it is.smile.png

I bought a 2011 Versys on August 31st. Have now done 10,000klms. Unless you are going to ride on the track, the stock brakes will out perform you and the stock tyres will do you fine for 8000klms. I bought a package with my bike which included a bigger stand pad, hand guards, crash bars, radiator guard, rear mudguard, hard Givi panniers and upgraded screen. I have since added Pirelli tyres (excellent in the mountains) and given it a wash...It is a very good bike straight out of the box and doesn't need any tinkering unless you want to do track days and play with things. Also I have reset the preload on the rear as locally it is set to cope with a 68kg rider and I weigh 105kg. Ride it-don't play with it in the garage...it simply does not need it.

Thanks for sharing. Interesting indeed. For now I think I will simply go for the engine guards. I believe it's the basic in order to preserve the engine in case of dropping the bike or crash. Tires and brakes will have to wait for my wallet to get full again!

By the way how do you reset the preload? I'm close to 90Kg so is it necessary?

Also, for the radiator guard and the rear mudguard are these useful/necessary? Anyone please advise. Thanks.

I believe you said most of your riding will be on pavement, yes?

IMO Radiator guard and mudguard are only useful if you plan to ride offroad.

Pre-load and damping are adjustable front and rear on the Versys.

Here's a useful guide to suspension settings that you might find helpful:

web.jpg?ver=13035367770001

web.jpg?ver=13035367840001

web.jpg?ver=13035367930001

web.jpg?ver=13035368000001

• Like 1

Other than sliders, I have made no adjustments to my Ninja 650. Well, I did move the ring on the shock one notch after riding it a bit, to adjust the preload. I assume the Versys has the same or similar shock so it is very easy. Ask the guys when you pick up the bike.

I am another proponent of “ride it-don’t play with it”. Like me you may just be happy with your bike the way it is.smile.png

Motorcycles are not "One Size Fits All". They are designed to fit a rider of AVERAGE height and weight. Stock suspension is usually set to suit the style of bike. Ie. Sport bike suspension settings will be far different from the suspension settings of a dirtbike.

If you purchase a bike that has adjustable suspension it makes sense to set it for your weight and riding style.

Incorrect suspension settings will hurt the handling and comfort of the motorcycle.

At the very minimum you should check to see that your spring tension or "sag" is set properly- here's a useful guide:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBlqVx4mWUw

Edited by BigBikeBKK
  • Like 2

I bought a 2011 Versys on August 31st. Have now done 10,000klms. Unless you are going to ride on the track, the stock brakes will out perform you and the stock tyres will do you fine for 8000klms. I bought a package with my bike which included a bigger stand pad, hand guards, crash bars, radiator guard, rear mudguard, hard Givi panniers and upgraded screen. I have since added Pirelli tyres (excellent in the mountains) and given it a wash...It is a very good bike straight out of the box and doesn't need any tinkering unless you want to do track days and play with things. Also I have reset the preload on the rear as locally it is set to cope with a 68kg rider and I weigh 105kg.

Ride it-don't play with it in the garage...it simply does not need it.

What's so great about the Versys is, of course, it's versatility :)

Sometimes I ride it in dirt-

July7VersysBoDin2SSR.jpg

Sometimes I take it to the track-

July9ThailandCircuitVersysSSR.jpg

Sometimes I just go touring-

380978_10151006670590710_508210709_22076319_1312251049_n.jpg

You better believe that the tire pressures and suspension settings are NOT the same for each use!

I believe you said most of your riding will be on pavement, yes? IMO Radiator guard and mudguard are only useful if you plan to ride offroad. Pre-load and damping are adjustable front and rear on the Versys. Here's a useful guide to suspension settings that you might find helpful (snip)

That's a cool guide Tony. Suspension settings are a science. I didn't know how good the stock settings really are before I started to mess around with them :P now back on stock for my weight (80kg) and happy.

I have only one issue with my Versys suspension: On high speed corners - 130+ - the rear wheel seems to become unstable. I am not sure it's a left-right wobble ... if it is then a very low frequency one. It feels like the rear is loose, or fading away to the side. Didn't see that in the list, but then I don't even know the right term for it... I am not sure whether this means

- my settings are wrong

- I've just hit the limits of the stock suspension

- I'm riding it wrong

On the last part I can get rid of most of the issues when I stay on the gas... e.g. throttle control in the corners seems to alleviate the issue if not completely remove it.

No track days so I haven't had a chance to test this under controlled conditions. Maybe I should, ey? :)

Motorcycles are not "One Size Fits All". They are designed to fit a rider of AVERAGE height and weight. Stock suspension is usually set to suit the style of bike. Ie. Sport bike suspension settings will be far different from the suspension settings of a dirtbike.

If you purchase a bike that has adjustable suspension it makes sense to set it for your weight and riding style.

Incorrect suspension settings will hurt the handling and comfort of the motorcycle.

At the very minimum you should check to see that your spring tension or "sag" is set properly- here's a useful guide:

Guess I am pretty AVERAGE as everything seems to work fine for touring around my backyard here in Chiang Rai.smile.png If I ever get around to getting another bike I probably will get a Versys as it seems better suited for where and how I ride. Unfortunately they came out with them after I bought my Ninja.

Guess I am pretty AVERAGE as everything seems to work fine for touring around my backyard here in Chiang Rai.smile.png If I ever get around to getting another bike I probably will get a Versys as it seems better suited for where and how I ride. Unfortunately they came out with them after I bought my Ninja.

i will probably replace my er6 with a versys at some stage unless some new bikes enter the market ,i like the black and yellow versys they have now in rama 9

but theres a bit of a wait to get one because of backlog :(

Sorry if I missed the answer to my question, is there any difference between the 2011/2012 models! Is the yellow bike the OP has bought the same as the black / yellow of last year

It's exactly the same. Just a color change.

Correct me if I'm wrong but up to now there has been only 2 iterations of the model: 2007 and 2009. In between and after it is purely marketing naming and only the color changes.

2011 saw the birth of the Versys 1000cc though.

Edited by Polanskiman