Robberies In Chiang Mai Harm Tourism

waza

News about the Chinese Consulate issuing a warning to Chinese travelers on the safety of travelling in Chiang Mai is troubling.

It is even more shocking that in the latest incident, in which a Chinese female tourist was mugged and assaulted within a famous Buddhist temple, the culprit has admitted to similar offences several times during the past few months. This shows local authorities lacking in their safety provision for tourists.

Chiang Mai lives and thrives on tourism. The number of Chinese visitors to this city from South China is growing by leaps and bounds. Now it is not certain it will enjoy the growth further.

Interior Minister Yongyuth Wichaidit has recently threatened to sack the Bangkok governor if the latter refuses to cooperate with the government on the flood issues. He should turn his attention to Chiang Mai instead. The problem here is much more urgent. The local police chief, the mayor and the governor here need to be probed and sacked if found to be lacking in their duties concerning the safety of tourists. If this problem is allowed to go on, it means national tourism is also threatened.

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra should be reminded that this happened in her hometown and right after her government's Cabinet meeting in the city. If her hometown is full of muggers preying on tourists, how could she promote tourism for the country?

Vint Chavala

Lamphun

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/opinion/Robberies-in-Chiang-Mai-harm-tourism-30175715.html

For the first time that I'm aware of, a woman was mugged outside of Floral Condo's at three in the afternoon, a snatch and grab that didn't quite work out and turned into a beating instead, I agree that crime here is on the rise and that's not good. But is it any wonder, prices here seem to be rising faster than normal, if anyone went to the Chinese New Year festival near the flower market recently and tried to buy food they would have suffered sticker shock, 200 baht for a quarter of roasted chicken!!!

For the first time that I'm aware of, a woman was mugged outside of Floral Condo's at three in the afternoon, a snatch and grab that didn't quite work out and turned into a beating instead, I agree that crime here is on the rise and that's not good. But is it any wonder, prices here seem to be rising faster than normal, if anyone went to the Chinese New Year festival near the flower market recently and tried to buy food they would have suffered sticker shock, 200 baht for a quarter of roasted chicken!!!

I take it from the Chinese point of view China is perfectly safe.

Could just be a ploy to keep their money in the country.

They must have quite a list of cities they advise against visiting.