Sd Card Format Hassle

chinook

ok.....can anybody help with this ....just bought an SD card (apacer) to use in my Nokia. After transferring music from my PC onto the card via a card reader I inserted the SD card into the phone......so far so good.....but no....the phone cannot see the music files and tells me that I need to format the card. So, with the phone I format the SD card, remove it from the phone and via card reader connect it to the PC again. Try again.....this time the PC tells me to format the card. I have a Nokia SD card as well that doesn't cause the same hassle. Anybody savvy with this one ?

Which Nokia is it?

x2

It's a nokia X2....regular phone, not a smartphone. It came with a Nokia 2GB SD card, wanted more memory so purchased 8GB apacer SD card ...........why do I get no compatibility problems with the Nokia 2GB SD card but do with the Apacer card...are there any files that I can transfer from the Nokia card to the Apacer card that would make the Apacer card compatible?

I think that phone is limited to the card capacity it can use.

2GB, not 4GB or bigger.

(or it can only use SD cards, and you purchased a SDHC card)

........I think you have it.........yes, i purchased an SDHC card, you'd think Nokia phones would support this......apparently it seems I may be limited to 2GB with SD cards......not impressed Nokia!!

1. You should ALWAYS without exception format a flash memory card in the device in which it is to be used. This ensured the proper file system and so forth is correct.

2. Flash memory devices such as phones, cameras, pads, etc.. are often limited in which version and size of a flash memory card it can accept. It's not ususual to purchase a card of a higher capacity than a device (phone, cameras, etc) can accept.

3. Phones specifically, don't get many firmware updates and their tech is quite old compared to other devices. Check your specification sheet for the size/type of microsd card it accepts.

4. More than you want to know but.. flash memory cards have their own controller run by firmware, and your device will have a memory card reader with it's own controller run by firmware. Everythying needs to match and this is probably the crux of your problem.

Good luck sorting it..

The X2 Nokia can use a micro SD card up to 16 GB. I formatted the larger card with the phone. I have a Nokia E52 and using the USB cable my computer can see the card as well as transfer mp3 music to it. I have never tried to use a card read/writer to put music on it. It can also be done using Nokia Suite.