Health Insurance For Farangs?

khuncanada

Hello all,

I bought a motorcycle last week and got the thai driver licence too (pain in the a** ..)

I was wondering if someone can recommend a good place for life/medical insurance in case of accident or something?

I had contacted Blue Cross but papers had to be filled *before* I left my country.

I got a quote from Bupa Health Insurance... 28,000 baht per year! .. is that expensive, cheap, average?

Any advices, suggestions, comments would be appreciated!

I'm with AIS which is good, but they want to see a WP (for no reason that I could get from them - they told me because I might run away - even though I pointed out that a WP doesn't stop that and being that I would have paid up front, they would only benefit if I did - no risk to a claim if I'm no longer there - strange!). I'm also 40 which is fine, but I think they stop (at least my plan) at 55.

Bangkok Bank is offering accident insurance which seems relatively inexpensive. This insurance covers you if you are involved in an automobile/motorbike accident, but does not cover health insurance in case you get ill.

Most of the health insurance plans here do not cover pre-existing conditions, and run well over $1000 a year depending on age, amount of coverage, etc. Read the fine print carefully.

When choosing a health insurance provider, something that is often overlooked is the claims process. With most local (Thai) insurance companies, the claims process can be quite tedious. There are insurance companies (such as William Russell) that are geared towards expats that provide a much better service in my opinion.

When choosing a health insurance provider, something that is often overlooked is the claims process. With most local (Thai) insurance companies, the claims process can be quite tedious. There are insurance companies (such as William Russell) that are geared towards expats that provide a much better service in my opinion.

With AIS: Only used ours once - my daughter was ill and was taken by an aunt to Klaimor Hospital (private hospital in Chiang Mai). I called te insurance lady and set off - when I arrived (took maybe half haour for me to get there) the insurance lady from AIS was already there at the desk and my daughter was in with the triage nurse. Other than signing the admission form, the insurance lady took care of everything else including the details of name and address etc and insurance paperwork. I stayed with her overnight in a private room with satelite TV, a stocked minifridge, a kitchen! and an onsuite bathrrom with bath and shower - the next evening she was allowed home (just dehydration and low iron following a stomach bug that had made her sick all day the day she was admitted). The nurse came in every 30 minutes to check (I didn't sleep, but dozed and watched TV quietly while my daughter slept in her bed), the doctor came around once before she went to sleep and twice the next day. The bill was presented when we left, and all marked as paid except the coke I drank from the mini-fridge (20 baht). Included her meals and a check up the following week - and drugs to take home. No claims, was just sorted out then and there. No increase in premium either.

My daughters insurance is 8,000 baht a year.

I used BUPA International - Provided for by my company (I think they pay about US$2700 / THB 83,000), I pay UK£1080 / THB 52,000 for my wife.

I just claimed B9000 last week (for ultrasound, pathology and consultation) and this week B30,000 (for a check up CT Scan, further pathology and consultation). On each occasion all I had to do was pre-authorize treatment, the bill is by direct settlement from BUPA and I don't pay a thing.

Careful with insurance which has a pay out ceiling. I was medi-vacced and hospitalized a few months back to the cost of approximately US$50,000.... a decent insurance cover proved its weight, I didn't have to pay a penny.

SO, Is THB 28,000 worth it.. Is it with BUPA international, or BUPA Thailand. I chose BUPA international and not BUPA Thailand for my wife due to the limitations on the BUPA Thailand cover (i.e. a ceiling of only B200,000), I wanted cover for the big things I can't afford.

Also check the fine prints. Bupa for example only cover 50% if you have an accident with a MC.

This is a long standing myth that continues to hang on and refuse to die. Bupa provides 100% coverage for medical treatment of motorcycle accidents, within the limits of the coverage of the plan you choose. The coverage for motorcycle accidents is exactly the same as the coverage for illness.

But, if you do read the "small print" you will see that you will not be covered at all if you are injured while riding on a motorcycle shooting at people. Also, you are not covered if you are injured throwing bombs at taxis that refuse to stop for you.

Ok. If you die in a motorcycle accident Bupa will only pay your beneficiary 50% of the death benefit due under the Personal Accident (PA) addition to your health & accident insurance. PA insurance is an Accidental Death and Dismemberment supplement to your policy. It has absolutely nothing to do with medical treatment.

By the way, health insurance in Thailand is tightly regulated by the Office of Insurance Commission (OIC). The "small print" you see in one policy will be pretty similar the "small print" you will see in all policies sold here.

Now, excuse me while I get off of my high horse and trot off into the...

Health Insurance For Farangs?

Most health insurance based in Thailand is for both Farangs & Thais.

Health insurance sold in Thailand tends to be much cheaper than International insurance.

This is because the focus is on paying to Thai hospitals, which tend to be cheaper.

Also, Thai health insurance lacks many of the expensive "bells & whistles" that many International plans offer.

Thai health insurance is very good for the cost. And, instead of just complaining on the forums, you can contact the Office of Insurance Commission (OIC) to complain. They really work on your behalf. I have seen it. In one situation, it was very difficult to tell which one was right, the insured or the insurance company. So, the OIC decided to error in favor of the insured.

Many International plans have features you won't find in Thai plans, but you are paying for them. Just keep in mind: Don't make yourself insurance premium poor so that you can be insurance coverage rich. Consider the cost, the coverage and your budget.

Take the advice you get on the forums with "a grain of salt."

I'm with AIS which is good,

As far as I know, AIS -Advanced Info Services, are Thailands main mobile telephone operator, and NOT an Insurance company. You probable mean AIA.

Doh! Yes, you are quite correct AIA (I always do that!)

Also check the fine prints. Bupa for example only cover 50% if you have an accident with a MC. BTW what was the pain in getting the DL?

The computer exam questions were *very* logical. armm... One good advice for anyone going in the near future, use the "testing' computer prior the exam and familiarize yourself with the answers.

Edited by khuncanada