Internet Chatting In Thai

wrevelate

a few months ago i posted the file 123 words to learn to type in the 3000 most common words topic it was a file i used to get me on my way to chatting. i have been going at it strong now for a few months and its working. i ve progressed on to make a few more files to help chatting. i ve started a series, one series is for full sentences, and one is for just words. i ll post both of the series here.

i ve collected these from what thai people have said in my conversations with them and from the book Making out in Thai, and a little bit from Thai for Beginners, so everything should be relatively natural sounding, not text bookish.

p.s. i should say i spent about 45 minutes every day for a month doing typing lessons first (see post 54), and then about 20 minutes every day all the time either writing or typing all the words and sentences out. a bit tenuous, but it s definitely working for me.

i was hoping others who are fluent in Thai could give me some tips to sound like a Thai...................................

Series - Words

123 words to spell (level 1).docx

150 words to spell (level 2).docx

Series - Sentences

54 sentences to spell (level 1).docx

60sentences to spell - (level 2).docx

60sentences to spell-(level 3).docx

60sentencestospell-(level 4).docx

five quick tips from Chris on livingthai org:

ดีๆ basically short for hello

555 This is like saying lol or ha ha ha

แถวไหน Where abouts do you live or using the net from

ยาง (no it’s like typing noooooo)

อ่านะ (what? really?)

อิอิ (hehe)

thai friend told me this when asked about the endings in thai sentences

1. อ่า, มั้ย, ไม, ปะ and ป่ะ --> question words

อะ, จัง endind words used when Affirmative sentences.

(ปะ = หรือเปล่า)

Please help me understand the following:

มีเสือฝนไหม

หากหัวใจของปมพูดได้ ก็คงพูดเป็นอยู่คำเดียวว่า รักคุณ

Otherwise, great listings. Thanks for posting them.

• Like 1

Please help me understand the following:

มีเสือฝนไหม

หากหัวใจของปมพูดได้ ก็คงพูดเป็นอยู่คำเดียวว่า รักคุณ

Otherwise, great listings. Thanks for posting them.

Ah yes, great questions David! the first one, it should be ผม not ปม. and it should mean something like if my heart could speak it would surely say i love you. got that from a website Thai for Lovers

and the second one about the rain coat, my thai gf said it means do u have a raincoat. and i asked her if it could mean anything else. she said no. i said can it mean do you have a condom? she said oh yes it can mean that too. 555 that comes from Making Out in Thai.

feel free to query anything else if something comes up. all the best

Could someone translate me this, please? ... Lady at reception gave us this for telling a taxi driver where to go.

Image attached.

Thak you so much.

take customers to shopping market Gata

in soi opposite shopping market meesomjit

Thank you very much but I dont understand what "in soi opposite shopping market meesomjit" means

Could someone translate me this, please? ... Lady at reception gave us this for telling a taxi driver where to go.

Image attached.

Thak you so much.

Thank you very much but I dont understand what "in soi opposite shopping market meesomjit" means

in soi = down the street opposite = across from

so something like down the street that has market meesomjit, and its on the other side of the street

did something unscrupulous happen? (just curious)

Image attached.

Thak you so much.

in soi = down the street opposite = across from

so something like down the street that has market meesomjit, and its on the other side of the street

did something unscrupulous happen? (just curious)

Thank you for the explanation. Nothing happened, our visit of Thailand was great without any bigger problems.

เรื่อยๆ, เฉยๆ, ธรรมดา, ก็ดี all mean im doing ok

a few more handy hints to know about ending words:

ไหม = มั้ย = มะ = ปะ

หรือป่าว=รึป่าว=ป่าว=ปะ

อ่านะ (what? really?)

What the heck! Most of them are wrong. Here are the accurate meaning:

ดีๆ --> means "good". It doesn't mean "hello".

ยาง --> should have spelled as ยัง which means "not yet". The word ยาง means "rubber" (that is used to make an eraser, not condoms)

อ่านะ --> this is a tough one to translate. You use it when you want the other party to compromise. It's strictly spoken language, not written language.

BTW I grew up in Thailand and went to school there for many years.

Patrick

อ่านะ (what? really?)

What the heck! Most of them are wrong. Here are the accurate meaning:

ดีๆ --> means "good". It doesn't mean "hello".

ยาง --> should have spelled as ยัง which means "not yet". The word ยาง means "rubber" (that is used to make an eraser, not condoms)

อ่านะ --> this is a tough one to translate. You use it when you want the other party to compromise. It's strictly spoken language, not written language.

BTW I grew up in Thailand and went to school there for many years.

Patrick

Patrick,

I think you are misguided. It seems you are eager to get on this site and tell someone they are wrong. you should channel your energy into something more positive, like perhaps contributing some tips for chatting that we can use and try out for ourselves.

Now, please let me explain. Yes you are correct that the correct spelling is ยัง, but like chris said it s like saying noooooo and extending the vowel sound making at a long vowel and therefore it becomes ยาง. And yes you are correct ดี means good, but in this case it is being used as in the ending of สวัสดี and saying it twice, i.e. ดีๆ Patrick. And maybe you are correct that อ่านะ can be used in a situation where you want a compromise, but i am 100% sure it can also be used as in saying - oh yeah...? ( in a kind of friendly but unenthusiastic way).

Patrick, i appreciate that you took the time to read this topic, and i dont doubt that your thai is excellent, perhaps you are fluent. in that case i hope you can contribute some chatting tips, i would love to try them out.

• 3 months later...

And yes you are correct ดี means good, but in this case it is being used as in the ending of สวัสดี and saying it twice, i.e. ดีๆ

Can you use that in speaking too to say hello?

Is there a shorter version of สวัสดี for a casual greeting in passing?

The most commonly used shortened version of สวัสดี in my experience is หวัดดี. Mainly used among friends.

And yes you are correct ดี means good, but in this case it is being used as in the ending of สวัสดี and saying it twice, i.e. ดีๆ

Can you use that in speaking too to say hello?

ดีๆ is just for chatting on the internet

i dont think there is another way to say hello in passing, other than หวัดดี

but you can say what s up to close friends with เป็นไงบ้าง

Great thread! Can I get a hand with a translation for this please?

คนไม่่มีใจพูดดังเเค่ไหนเขาก็ไม่ได้ยิน

cool. thanks for the compliment. good luck!!

a person doesnt have heart, even if i speak out loud, he/she doesnt listen

• Like 1

"คนไม่่มีใจพูดดังเเค่ไหนเขาก็ไม่ได้ยิน"

It needs more context, but a loose, idiomatic translation could be: "However loudly a heartless person speaks, he (not clear whether "he" is that same person or another) doesn't (is unable to) hear".

• Like 1

อ่านะ (what? really?)

อิอิ (hehe)

Hello everyone. I've been browsing this forum for weeks, and I love the terrific threads and helpful information, so today I decided to take the plunge and become an active member.

In relation to the terminology อ่านะ, I imagine it is lazy Thai for อะไรนะ, which does mean What??!!

อ่านะ (what? really?)

อิอิ (hehe)

Hello everyone. I've been browsing this forum for weeks, and I love the terrific threads and helpful information, so today I decided to take the plunge and become an active member.

In relation to the terminology อ่านะ, I imagine it is lazy Thai for อะไรนะ, which does mean What??!!

awesome! welcome to the forum!

i m so glad you commented on อ่านะ because today i was chatting with a very intelligent girl who said that she personally doesnt like when people use it - she said it s like saying yeah. so? so, even tho thais use it, i may stop using it, just to be on the safe side,