Thai Tourism Industry To Be Prosperous Despite Terror Warning And Last Year's Flood Crisis

webfact

Tourism Industry to be Prosperous Despite Terror Warning

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism and Sports Ministry revealed that the country's tourism industry was only minimally affected by the recent terrorist warning and last year's flood crisis.

Tourism Department Acting Director-General Kajorn Weerajai said that the recent terrorist warning issued by the United States embassy and the flood crisis last year would not affect the country's tourism industry this year. He pointed out that as of now, every country has lifted warnings of a possible terrorist attack in Bangkok.

Meanwhile, the government is working to clarify the precautionary measures they've put in place to the international community, while explaining how they intend to protect against various catastrophes to restore foreign confidence, adding that the Tourism and Sports Ministry has established a crisis management center.

Kajorn said tourists will change their destination only if a crisis has broken out. He stated that the tourism industry generated around 700 billion baht last year and reaffirmed that this year, the amount of revenue generated from the travel industry will continue to grow.

As for the sudden bankruptcy of Russia's major tour operator, Lanta Tour Voyage, which has ruined the holidays of over 500 customers who were left stranded in Pattaya and Phuket provinces, Kajorn said he has ordered the Tourist Police Division to provide them shelter and arrange flights for them back home.

All Russian tourists are expected to return home by February 15. In response, the Russian government has pledged to cover all related expenses. The Tourism and Sports Ministry said they have learned many lessons on improving the country's tourism industry in the future.

Additionally, the Tourism Department is driving its new tourism campaign entitled "Miracle Thailand", which encourages tourists to choose tour operators that have authorized permission. Moreover, the Tourist Police Division will take action against illegal tour operators.

tanlogo.jpg

-- Tan Network 2012-02-14

footer_n.gif

Yes Thailand needs a real Miracle ...... it was for sure a great place for tourism years ago , some people still like it very much and Pattaya will always be Pattaya .. but careful with : road accidents, jet ski scams, angry prostitute, angry taxi or tuk tuk drivers, airport closure , long waiting queue at immigration etc ...etc .... its still a great place for tourism of course but Thailand should believe there are other places in the world with beaches , nice food and sunshine. I love Thailand but not for my holidays ....

Yes Thailand needs a real Miracle ...... it was for sure a great place for tourism years ago , some people still like it very much and Pattaya will always be Pattaya .. but careful with : road accidents, jet ski scams, angry prostitute, angry taxi or tuk tuk drivers, airport closure , long waiting queue at immigration etc ...etc .... its still a great place for tourism of course but Thailand should believe there are other places in the world with beaches , nice food and sunshine. I love Thailand but not for my holidays ....

Just what is it you love about it? Seems like you only have reasons real or imagined that only happen in Thailand to stay away from it.

Just what is it you love about it? Seems like you only have reasons real or imagined that only happen in Thailand to stay away from it.

those things happen everywhere in the world but its a reality here ... and I have been living here for 20 years and still like it very much that's why I can criticize it .. unless you are the kind of person who doesnt like people talk about Thailand ? I dont know you reason and I dont care ...

Thailand is both the place where dreams come true, and also where dreams are made (by the Tourism department).

The recent calls for prostitution to be wiped out, or at least controlled, will affect tourism numbers. I am sorry to shock some of you, but a very large percentage of tourists visit places like Pattaya, Phuket, and other places, specifically for sex. These types of people, who are often at least middle class, if not very wealthy people at home, are not in the least interested in "running the gauntlet" and putting themselves at risk of being prosecuted when places like Cambodia are still inviting of this type of tourism (yes, it is not nice, but sex tourism is real). Take a good look at how the Philippines recent crackdown on prostitution in Angeles City changed profits from tourism. Pattaya, will not always be Pattaya.. it is Pattaya, because it is allowed to grow freely, without restriction or control from the Thai Government.

The Baht will weaken as exports in rice and other products fall as a direct result of government intervention and cheaper alternatives provided by nearby countries at a cheaper price. This will have a positive affect on tourism. Though, with the greed of the market, prices skyrocketing in tourist areas every year, it is now nearly as expensive for me to eat in central Bangkok as it is to eat in Central Auckland, without the security, the clean streets, the unbroken pavements, and the endless rows of beggars crowding the footpaths.

If you want to charge developed world prices, provide a developed world experience.

Other places, which were once beautiful for their "thainess" (e.g. Isaan) are becoming more touristy, as girls come back from Pattaya with their terrible habits of cheating foreigners, and spoiling something which was very beautiful to me, the innocence and open kindness of many rural Thai communities.

• Like 1

Thailand is both the place where dreams come true, and also where dreams are made (by the Tourism department).

The recent calls for prostitution to be wiped out, or at least controlled, will affect tourism numbers. I am sorry to shock some of you, but a very large percentage of tourists visit places like Pattaya, Phuket, and other places, specifically for sex. These types of people, who are often at least middle class, if not very wealthy people at home, are not in the least interested in "running the gauntlet" and putting themselves at risk of being prosecuted when places like Cambodia are still inviting of this type of tourism (yes, it is not nice, but sex tourism is real). Take a good look at how the Philippines recent crackdown on prostitution in Angeles City changed profits from tourism. Pattaya, will not always be Pattaya.. it is Pattaya, because it is allowed to grow freely, without restriction or control from the Thai Government.

The Baht will weaken as exports in rice and other products fall as a direct result of government intervention and cheaper alternatives provided by nearby countries at a cheaper price. This will have a positive affect on tourism. Though, with the greed of the market, prices skyrocketing in tourist areas every year, it is now nearly as expensive for me to eat in central Bangkok as it is to eat in Central Auckland, without the security, the clean streets, the unbroken pavements, and the endless rows of beggars crowding the footpaths.

If you want to charge developed world prices, provide a developed world experience.

Other places, which were once beautiful for their "thainess" (e.g. Isaan) are becoming more touristy, as girls come back from Pattaya with their terrible habits of cheating foreigners, and spoiling something which was very beautiful to me, the innocence and open kindness of many rural Thai communities.

Thailand would be far better off without the sexpats - hope they can raise the standard of living further, and the quality of education - but will take many more decades. Don't worry all, your hookers are still safe!

You just need to get to know rural communities which don't send their daughters to Pattaya. Of course you may find the courtship procedures a bit more stringent 8-)

It's a good thing the media is so tightly controlled and Russians so rarely speak English as I'm sure if there were better opportunities for communication on that last point, we might here some rough stories about the "shelter" the Thai police were supposed to provide them with. "Mi-stuh Kodovsky, me put you in loom num-bah fo wit da od-ah Lussian man who kill fa-mil-lee."

Anyways, in other news the cow did, in fact, jump over the moon, they did put humpty-dumpty back together again...er, wait, no he didn't actually fall at all (mai pen rai, sabai, sabai), and as for Jack and Jill: Jack never, EVER hurt himself. No, he was only "minimally affected" by breaking his crown. (If I'm to follow in the tune of this article, I'll now need to spew out a bunch of random numbers) Jack apparently lost nothing from his crown-breaking and will turn a per capita GDP this year of more than two million dollars US. Humptey is in the hospital but is doing very, very well (no media or photographs allowed). The cow may or may not have been shipped to Vietnam for food but he did, in fact, jump over the moon so everythings grand, no? Ha!

As a cultural phenomenon, all this self-back-patting is heartwarming. It almost reminds you of what you might expect at a (particularly ineffective) group drug rehabilitation meeting: "Don't worry Somchai, it's not your fault. You just have to accept how amazing you are and work with your addictions."

No, Thailand does not believe there other places in the world with beachs, nice food or sunshine. They have never seen it, so it can't be possible.

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism and Sports Ministry revealed that the country's tourism industry was only minimally affected by the recent terrorist warning and last year's flood crisis.

The ministry might want to work on an update after the (minor) issue with grenade throwing foreigners in Bangkok wink.png

• Like 2

The ministry might want to work on an update after the (minor) issue with grenade throwing foreigners in Bangkok wink.png

Yes, Iranians this time so BBC tells me.

Remember, this is a statement from a politician of the govt currently in power.

In a few days time can we expect another propaganda "news" article along the lines of: Since the Valentines Day Bombings in BKK Tourist Numbers are Up a Further 100%???

I think if a person would add up all the percentage increases announced over the years by the Thai tourism authorities, the entire world population must have been a tourist to Thailand...and the govt is now projecting all 7 billion of them should be coming back for at least their second visit.

Well let's see what the world press make of today's bombings. Then how the Thais will spin it.

Maybe?

World Press: Terrorists bomb BKK and foreign office advises all but essential travel to dangerous Thailand.

Thai Press: Peaceful Iranian had an accident in BKK, tourist numbers are up and the Baht is stronger than before.

Edited by AngryParent

Yes it is going to be interesting how the government spins the latest bombings in Bangkok.

They had the red shirts to blame for the last ones in Bangkok now they are being done by people of a certain faith that have been doing it in many countries including the southern provinces of Thailand.

Well let's see what the world press make of today's bombings. Then how the Thais will spin it.

Maybe?

World Press: Terrorists bomb BKK and foreign office advises all but essential travel to dangerous Thailand.

Thai Press: Peaceful Iranian had an accident in BKK, tourist numbers are up and the Baht is stronger than before.

Boom boom!

Yes it is going to be interesting how the government spins the latest bombings in Bangkok.

They had the red shirts to blame for the last ones in Bangkok now they are being done by people of a certain faith that have been doing it in many countries including the southern provinces of Thailand.

Iranian Yellow Shirt?

Tourism Department Acting Director-General Kajorn Weerajai said that the recent terrorist warning issued by the United States embassy and the flood crisis last year would not affect the country's tourism industry this year. He pointed out that as of now, every country has lifted warnings of a possible terrorist attack in Bangkok.

Well they will ALL be renewing the Terrorist/Bomb warnings again now. Australia just just gave an update, they never removed their warning.

Iranian Yellow Shirt?

If any, I think it would be Iranian Green Shirts coffee1.gif

Iranian Yellow Shirt?

If any, I think it would be Iranian Green Shirts coffee1.gif

They all help boost the tourist-numbers ! laugh.png

I sense a new 'hub' coming-on ! cool.png

Hub-ris....hu·bris (hy br s) also hy·bris (h -). n. Overbearing pride or presumption; arrogance.

Well remembered, if it was, or well constructed if it wasn't.

Blame it on a Classical educationbiggrin.png

• Like 1

BANGKOK: -- The Tourism and Sports Ministry revealed that the country's tourism industry was only minimally affected by the recent terrorist warning and last year's flood crisis.ss Thailand is going to be the new hub for I think he spoke too soon. Unless Thailand is going to be the new hub for suicide tourists. Maybe euthen-asia, will set up shop here!