Foreigners Need Living License In Future?

Firefan

How many Thais know their own history ? they cannot even name the countries bordering their own. smile.gif

Don't you mean "geography"? Just because it is important for you to know all the 75 states of America and where they all are, doesn't mean everyone should study it.

I think it is a good idea - if you want a visa, pass a simple language test - why are so many people so against learning the language of the country they live and work/retire in? I was in the Post Office yesterday and was embarrassed as one old guy was speaking English to the guy serving him, and I had to translate. Whay would you think if a Thai guy started speaking Thai only to someone working in the post office in your home country?I say he shouldn't get a UK visa if he can't speak English. Tourist, OK - 2 weeks max. At least the Thai in Britain learn the language.

This guy in the Post-Office has been in Thailand for 9 years, retired - what the fick has he been doing - too busy to learn "I want to buy a postal order to give to the American Embassy"

If you don't know the word for 'American Embassy' in Thai do you think you should be allowed into the country? - it's embarassing and shouldn't be allowed :D

I have a friend who has been in Thailand for 30 years and was second in command in the bloody American Embassy, and guess what - he can't even say it!!

75 American states :o

Wait a minute, what country are you in?

Psssst.... Florida, USA. :o

I am curious why you'd make a post like this? Is this a guess? Or is it some sort of obscure form of humor?

Or have you attempted to determine this posters location based on doing a whois on their IP address and then posted it here in public?

If it is the latter then you are showing extremely poor judgement, in my opinion.

I've seen examples of other Moderators doing this before and would suggest that they reconsider their actions based on the published privacy policy.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?act=boardrules

"PRIVACY

We respects the privacy of all our visitors, members and clients. Any known information is kept strictly confidential. No information is ever sold or knowingly given out to any third party. "

We have now scientifically proved that all Americans who have read this thread are not sure how many states there are in their own country. Why did this not come as a surprise? :D

Apart from that, I think all farang who stay in Thailand for more than a year should be forced to work in the salt mines 3 days a month, while practicing gaw oei, gaw gai. :o

We have now scientifically proved that all Americans who have read this thread are not sure how many states there are in their own country. Why did this not come as a surprise? :D

Apart from that, I think all farang who stay in Thailand for more than a year should be forced to work in the salt mines 3 days a month, while practicing gaw oei, gaw gai. :o

Thats because we dont look at America as country made up of Individual States anymore, we look at it as a Country made up of Hemispheres, the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western.

:D

globalstar1_small.gif

Planet America :D:D

How many Thais know their own history ? they cannot even name the countries bordering their own. smile.gif

Don't you mean "geography"? Just because it is important for you to know all the 75 states of America and where they all are, doesn't mean everyone should study it.

Uhm, Neeranam those are two separate sentences representing two separate thoughts or ideas. The giveaway is the use of the ‘question mark’ between them, although Simbo slipped the shift key when starting the second sentence so maybe that threw you off?

So maybe read it like this…

“How many Thais know their own history ?” (pause, reflect and absorb the question, then read the next sentence)

“they cannot even name the countries bordering their own. (Hmm, a separate statement and idea)

We Americans just have to remember two bordering countries, Canada and Mexico, (excluding territories and the like) but Thais have a lot more to remember (four).

I think it is a good idea - if you want a visa, pass a simple language test -

Would your idea extend to tourist visa? Or just Non-Immigrant visas?

Do any other countries implement a similar language requirement, for a visa?

Who would administer your test? For those from the U.S., would it the Royal Thai Consular representative in say, Alabama? I wonder how proficient his Thai is?

I'm afraid to say that your idea is not particularly good. Maybe you could think through a better proposal?

I wonder...

Why do they (Thais) print the visa application in languages other than Thai?

Why are many signs in Thailand in English?

Why is the arrival card for Thailand printed in both Thai and English?

Could there possibly be a reason?

(Note that we are talking about visas and not citizenship. I think many countries require a minimum level of proficiency in both language and history as a requirement for permanent citizenship.)

It was being prepared as a requirement for working visas in Malaysia, not sure it is implementd by now.

Such regulation offers many a "golden" opportunity for those administering the tests... :o

It was being prepared as a requirement for working visas in Malaysia, not sure it is implementd by now.

Such regulation offers many a "golden" opportunity for those administering the tests... :o

I think that the UK require an English test even for native English speakers.Funny really how the laungage of Newcastle or Glasgow is not tested. :D:D

I think that the UK require an English test even for native English speakers.Funny really how the laungage of Newcastle or Glasgow is not tested. blink.gif biggrin.gif

Ah divnae agree wie thon remarks. Ah come fae Embra an spik as gied as the next mon. Jus cause we divnae spik wi a plum in air moos likesay thon cants doon in Akesford. :o

If I remember well,the same is happening in Holland.

"Inburgering" it is called.

I don't know the details,but it looks simular to the contents of this topic.

90% of the Dutch do believe that if foreigners (Farang :D ) want to stay permanently,they need to know language and social skills

What ever you do, don't miss the first r out. :D

Could lead to a few really wierd "inbreeding" jokes.....! :o

redrus

I think that the UK require an English test even for native English speakers.Funny really how the laungage of Newcastle or Glasgow is not tested. blink.gif biggrin.gif

Ah divnae agree wie thon remarks. Ah come fae Embra an spik as gied as the next mon. Jus cause we divnae spik wi a plum in air moos likesay thon cants doon in Akesford. :D

Morningside...aw furr coats ..nae knickers....eh :o