Tricare Standard Medical Insurance

JimGant

Just found out that my retiree medical insurance premiums thru United Airlines are going up tenfold! So, I may have to opt out.

My secondary insurance is Tricare Standard from the Air Force. It never has paid much, by US standards, and I've never relied much on it. And NEVER in Thailand.

Has anyone reading this used Tricare here in Thailand? If so, did the provider accept it upfront, or did you pay upfront and then file? If the latter, where did you file -- a stateside address?

Also, since medical costs here are lower than stateside, did Tricare cover, on average, the 75% of charges they advertise?

Thanks in advance. This kinda hit us hard, as we know Medicare (when we reach 65) won't cover us in Thailand. So, Tricare may be our only option. Can't really blame United -- they're struggling for every buck they can find. And if they really do go belly-up, my ride between US and Thailand gets real expensive, and cramped, real fast!

Guest IT Manager

In the mean time start thinking about BUPA who are relatively inexpensive here and may have some sort of deal with your carrier in the states.

In the mean time start thinking about BUPA who are relatively inexpensive here

From what I have seen they seem to only insure up to age 65; but never checked it out. Anyone know for sure if they will continue coverage past 65?

RE BUPA

Not sure about age limits, but I can comment that it is a professional operation.

I started a policy for my (then 20 years old) son) several years ago, he has full Thai nationality.

He went to their office with completed registration forms, they quickly took him to a private office, initially asked if he had any specific questions, they explained everything, then again asked if he had questions, then gave him a contact no. for any further questions.

He was impressed at their courtesy, and the fact that they listened carefully. Came home and talked about their approach for hours 'just like Singapore'.

He asked if I could pay the premium by credit card, they agreed, then offered to do it over the phone. The young lady who called me was very professional, excellent English. She now calls me each year to ask for permission to raise the credit card payment.