Blasts Rattle Bangkok As Israel Accuses Iran

webfact

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thailand has long turned a blind-eye to many of the unsavory activities that occur internationally. You cannot do that without one day being held accountable.

I have always believed they have stayed out of harms way primarily because this was the place where they hide, get fake passports and fly reasonably under the radar.

Those days may be gone. It now seems we have a home-base for some rather nasty people and I don't know that they will wait to hit their targets outside of Thailand.

Thailand has long turned a blind-eye to many of the unsavory activities that occur internationally. You cannot do that without one day being held accountable.

I have always believed they have stayed out of harms way primarily because this was the place where they hide, get fake passports and fly reasonably under the radar.

Those days may be gone. It now seems we have a home-base for some rather nasty people and I don't know that they will wait to hit their targets outside of Thailand.

Yes and the recent reaction to the fertilizer warehouse, with the Thai officials saying that's OK it wasn't for weapons to be used IN Thailand, brings light on how the Thai policies are not ready for international prime time.

This thread is getting seriously off topic and numerous posts have been deleted.

The topic is about the bomb blast that has taken place in Thailand. Please keep your posts limited to the impact that the Iranian-Israeli situation has on Thailand and the threat posed to Thailand and it's people.

What Credo said.

Thailand is a very popular destination for Israeli holidaymakers. i suspect that (until recently) one of the drivers for its popularity was that it was one of the few exotic destinations they could visit without having to constantly be looking over their shoulders. It is particularly popular with young Israelis who are taking a break after their military service.

There are also a significant number of Thai migrant agricultural workers in Israel.

I should imagine that elements within the Iranian regime would be stroking their beards with delight at the thought of putting the kybosh on the relationship between Thailand and Israel.

Edited by JAG

<deleted>?

Is that not terrorism???

Is that not murder sanctioned by government???

I think you're right. If bombing Israeli diplomats is terrorism, bombing Iranian scientists is also terrorism. However, keep in mind I think Israel is justified in bombing Iran's nuclear facilities. If they do, that would be an act of war and not terrorism. If Israel is behind the nuclear scientist killings which is of course likely/probable, etc I personally think that was a mistaken tactic. While I support the right of Zionist Israel to exist as the world's only Jewish state (no, Boca Raton doesn't count!), which the Iranian regime does not, that doesn't mean I agree with every policy decision of their government.

What so few are considering, including yourself, is that this could be a war that lasts 30 years, and bankrupts the planet. Oil at $200 per barrel could do just that. It could bring the worlds stock markets to it's knees. What would that accomplish? Iran is probably fine with the world going back to the 18th century, but are you? The unforeseen consequences of this war are horrific. Israel has no right whatsoever to invade Iran. If they do so, they bring on whatever happens. Their desire to go to war with just another neighbor outweighs any common sense at this point. And Obama being the lapdog he is, will go along with it.

Yes indeed. It is very difficult for bad things to happen in Thailand, so it is OK to ignore the world. There is a magic shield that surrounds the country, and with the blessing of the great Buddha, nothing bad will ever happen here. Also, because so many of the people are wonderful, and do good things to many all the time, the merit earned will ensure further protection. Lastly, because Thai people are so smart, unlike the ignorant farengs, this will further prevent bad stuff from happening, since all badness can be outsmarted by the local people with such powerful brains.

• MultiQuote
  • Edit

• 10 months later...
Two Iranians arrested after a botched bomb plot that allegedly targeted Israeli diplomats say they're innocent and were stunned to discover explosives stashed in a cabinet in their rented Bangkok home, a lawyer said Friday.

Both men appeared in court Friday, 10 months after the explosives blew apart their home in a residential Bangkok neighborhood on Valentine's Day. The explosion uncovered a plot that Thai authorities say was aimed at Israeli envoys and that Israel says was part of an Iranian-backed network of terror.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/iranian-bomb-suspects-bangkok-claim-innocence

Not sure that the Thai authorities are interested in getting to the bottom of this, as the article implies. More likely that it was too complicated to hush it up, what with foreigners involved. Wonder how much international cooperation they got from Iran regarding the identity and motives of suspects, and how (if at all) the outcome might effect Thailand's relationship with Iran.

Two Iranians arrested after a botched bomb plot that allegedly targeted Israeli diplomats say they're innocent and were stunned to discover explosives stashed in a cabinet in their rented Bangkok home, a lawyer said Friday.

Both men appeared in court Friday, 10 months after the explosives blew apart their home in a residential Bangkok neighborhood on Valentine's Day. The explosion uncovered a plot that Thai authorities say was aimed at Israeli envoys and that Israel says was part of an Iranian-backed network of terror.

http://bigstory.ap.o...claim-innocence

Not sure that the Thai authorities are interested in getting to the bottom of this, as the article implies. More likely that it was too complicated to hush it up, what with foreigners involved. Wonder how much international cooperation they got from Iran regarding the identity and motives of suspects, and how (if at all) the outcome might effect Thailand's relationship with Iran.

Seems to be perfectly reasonable scenario to me.

Why!, last time I found the Mossad had stashed a bunch of explosives in my kitchen cabinet I did what everyone in my situation would do, dispose of them by lobbing the bombs to the police.

That 'soul searching' reporter for a paper; Imtiaz M. had some hot leads about the Mossad connection, and told us so. I note that his column is no longer in that 'other paper', but can only assume he has gone undercover and is even as I type tracking down the real perps

biggrin.png