Lampang Monk Disrobed After Being Discovered In Bed With Woman

webfact

This monk makes us all look bad. But of course it happens. The Buddha always cautioned his monks about their dealings with women, saying that women were the #1 problem monks will have in their practice. This Phra Kru isn't the first and most definitly won't be the last to fall due to lust.

So Buddha warned against dealings with women. Plus ca change!

Edited by bigbamboo

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This monk makes us all look bad. But of course it happens. The Buddha always cautioned his monks about their dealings with women, saying that women were the #1 problem monks will have in their practice. This Phra Kru isn't the first and most definitly won't be the last to fall due to lust.

Yeah and it's the Burger's, Pizza's and Taco's fault if you get fat,- right?

• Like 2

This story plays precisely into the hands of the academics who tell you that when the first societies developed, farmers who farmed surplus crops had to relieved of their supplies somehow. How does one convince a farmer to relinquish his produce without having to perform any work oneself: tell them you have communion with the spirits/gods and will provide protection from the rains and evil gods. Priests were the world's first quacks.

And this is the academics' fault? You lost me.

This story plays precisely into the hands of the academics who tell you that when the first societies developed, farmers who farmed surplus crops had to relieved of their supplies somehow. How does one convince a farmer to relinquish his produce without having to perform any work oneself: tell them you have communion with the spirits/gods and will provide protection from the rains and evil gods. Priests were the world's first quacks.

Not the monk, it's the religion that makes you look bad.

Maybe your post is a bit brief &might be interpreted as something needlessly offensive. Perhaps you might be able to expand on it, so that others do not misunderstand what you meant to say?

Not the monk, it's the religion that makes you look bad.

Much (Baap) negative energy to you who blames this on the religion and not the monk for his actions

Gandhi said: I like your Christ, but not your christianity. Maybe the same can be said for Buddha and Buddhism. The Buddha was one of the world's great prophets, teaching the one truth. Buddhism is a religion like any other with wealthy churches, gold trinkets, telling people what's good and what's bad but sometimes without practicing that themselves, and so on.

I think I'll stick with the original.

I have a lot of time for Buddhism, but like catholicism, it is absurd that both expect male priests/monks to remain celibate (or is that "sell a bit"?), and both feign shock when it isn't so. The only way to fix the problem is to throw open the doors and free monks and priests to marry. It would seem a better solution than having them sneaking round like teenagers, climbing through windows to 'asssist' their flock, laying each other, altar boys, novice monks, soi dogs, etc.

Ah, yes. Will the church then accept gay marriage to accomodate the perceived majority?

summarised as "When the first smart man met the first fool, the first religion was born."

"There are many, many monks in Chiang Mai who are multi-millionaires".

A baht millionaire isn't wealthy, only a little over $30,000, but that's a LOT more than a monk should have.

Nikster, Buddhism isn't generally regarded as a religion, more as a philosophy on life. A religion requires a God, and the Buddha wasn't, nor claimed to be, a God. It's a nice philosophy though. I guess the monk just vowed to try harder to be a good person tomorrow??

Judging by the look on the dog's face, I think he was involved.

"When the first smart man met the first fool, the first religion was born." I like that line, and it still astounds me that highly intelligent and educated people fall for the religion line.

Edited by saxpirant

I am led to believe that the Koran bans the eating of animals which have been the subject of "unusual affection." This has lead to selective breeding where the sexiest goats have more offspring, and thus making the practice much less unusual.

"There are many, many monks in Chiang Mai who are multi-millionaires".

A baht millionaire isn't wealthy, only a little over $30,000, but that's a LOT more than a monk should have.

Nikster, Buddhism isn't generally regarded as a religion, more as a philosophy on life. A religion requires a God, and the Buddha wasn't, nor claimed to be, a God. It's a nice philosophy though. I guess the monk just vowed to try harder to be a good person tomorrow??

Judging by the look on the dog's face, I think he was involved.

"When the first smart man met the first fool, the first religion was born." I like that line, and it still astounds me that highly intelligent and educated people fall for the religion line.

However, it looks like he was working with 10 times a million Baht. Spending 10,000,000 Baht on an accommodation in Thailand is a pretty big deal.

The monk is a famous preacher with a lot of followers. He did so well with donations that he was able to construct a golden teak wood accommodation for himself with a budget of 10 million baht.

10,000,000 Thai baht = 324,250 U.S. dollars

1,000,000 Thai baht = 32,425 U.S. dollars

Edited by ThailandMan

Quite right Thailand man. I was just making the point that a baht millionaire isn't wealthy by our standards, more making reference to the comment that there were a lot of millionaire monks in Chiang Mai.

As for a 10 million baht house, that is a LOT of money for a monk, or probably most people in Thailand, and even for many of the retired foreigners living in Thailand.

I think his conduct may be called, in religious terms (though Buddhism isn't strictly a religion), perversion of the doctrine.

Edited by saxpirant

What I love about Thailand. Last night discussing the Thai news GF and I talked about the monk from Lampang. Her first comment. A very bad woman to have sex with a monk. Now if she keeps that philosophy if it ever happens to me.

• Like 1

Quite right Thailand man. I was just making the point that a baht millionaire isn't wealthy by our standards, more making reference to the comment that there were a lot of millionaire monks in Chiang Mai.

As for a 10 million baht house, that is a LOT of money for a monk, or probably most people in Thailand, and even for many of the retired foreigners living in Thailand.

I think his conduct may be called, in religious terms (though Buddhism isn't strictly a religion), perversion of the doctrine.

I see. Yes, I agree. This perversion of religion/doctrine is pervasive in almost every country as I'm aware. And it doesn't merely exist; it's often endemic. (Just for contrast, for example, the Catholic Church both historically and presently. Or the mega wealthy Christian Churches in the US. You want to find the richest organization in many US communities? Look for the church...)

It's a human condition, greed, and, alas, despite the many masses holding up these human beings as being above normal human weaknesses and possessing some other-worldly powers of wisdom and truth, these religious leaders are often no better than petty criminals, but, of course, one would need to look past the facade.

I hate religion. Back up. I hate the practice (poor practice) of it.

Sadly for me, I left one ultra religious 1st world country for an arguably even more religious 3rd world country. It has not been an improvement in that regard.

Edited by ThailandMan