My German Friend Is Panicking Over....

Recently, against my advise, my German friend named Manfred, went to Bangkok for his one year Visa extension versus going with me to where I go annually. (I would rather not say where, so as not to destroy a good thing) In any case, he received his Visa by showing a €500 month income (by Embassy letter) that translates to about 24,000 Baht (equal to 288,000 Baht per year). He further was able to provide proof that he has 106.000 baht in the Bank in Thailand. He received his Visa and left Immigration.

After having gone a short distance he was called by cell phone and asked to come back into the facility and told that the amount was not enough and that he would have to provide another 60,000 Baht into his Bank account.

He did as told and offered to send the Bank Book Balance by EMS, at which time the woman at Immigration told his wife that he needed to send the proof of the additional amount in the Bank, to her home adress, rather than the Immigration offices.

Now they are demanding that he show an income 40,000 Baht per month rather than the 400,000 baht per year as many of you and myself were aware of.

I told him to take care of it this year, by borrowing, but, that next he should go with me to my location. He did take care of it but, the kicker is that today they received another call that another 2,000 Baht was need to be in the account and that if it would not be in the account within days, he would only receive a Visa for 4 or 5 month instead of one year, when he goes to poick it up this month.

I suspect that he or his wife unknowigly pi$$ed someone off.

What do you think?

Please provide your opinions!

Has the amount changed to 40,000 Baht per month vs 400,000 Baht per year?

What would be your course of action?

Complain? Is it wise to do so?

He suspects extortion, but, my opinion is that things are too hot right now for anyone to play give me a tip games.

zzap,

Take a look at the TM7 form you can apply for an extension for any number of days up to the 365 maximum

Mouse,

Yes it is extortion. I have had obstacles put in my way at two immigration offices.

I had one officier removed and I threatened the other one until he backed down and gave me my extension.

If you got the bottle you can do it but I wouldn't recommend it unless you know the ropes.

I would recommend your friend write to the head of immigration,

Maj Gen Hemmeraj, at Suan Plu stating his case and asking for an explanation. Something is seriously wrong here.

From my experience he will get a fair answer.

It has always been 40k for monthly income or 400k for bank deposit. But there are also a number of other requirements such as regular transfers coming from overseas if not employed with a work permit and money in the bank account should not be "borrowed". I expect his trying to cut it too close (original application did not meet minimum requirements) has resulted in higher attention to details. Was the bank deposit increase from overseas? If not they may suspect it was not his and will be removed after approval of visa.

There are also several variables, including the exchange rate. Do you require the monthly shortfall (40k-24k=16kx12=192k to be in bank account)? Or use 24kx12=288k and only require about 112k in bank account? Or do you exclude bank account entirely if proof of transfers are not present? I suspect there is a very close eye on everything and differing opinions and that he is caught up in it.

If he does not have 40k pension he should plan to have more than enough in his bank account to prove he has living money of 400k for the next year each time he requests an extension.

Get Manfreds wife to call the corruption hotline and then see how fast the situation changes.

Please tell me what the number is and I will pass it on to Manfred for his wife to call.

Thanks for the repsonses.....one and all!

Edited by mouse