Website Hosting In Thailand

Deke

Does anybody have a recommendation for a website hosting company in Thailand? My site is currently hosted by Loxinfo but it seems expensive to me for what I'm getting. Since the domain registration will be expiring in a couple of months, I thought that now would be the time to make a change.

Although my site itself is pretty small (in terms of bytes), I'm interested in E-mail storage space since I sometimes need to receive large attachments. Another consideration would be that I'd like to have the ability to assign several E-mail addresses.

It's not necessary that the actual server hardware be located in Thailand but I'd want to hook up with a company that's not likely to go out of business in the near future.

I've been using iPowerweb for nearly 4 years now for an e-commerce site I have and have been very happy with their service and features. It's hosted outside of Thailand and has been rated one of the top web hosting sites. Your domain name can be transferred for free or if you don't have one you can get one from them for free.

http://www.ipowerweb.com/

There is another with a name similar to it and cheaper but don't know about it's service and reliability.

http://www.ipower.com/

You can google to find reviews about these sites.

Edited by tywais

Does anybody have a recommendation for a website hosting company in Thailand?  My site is currently hosted by Loxinfo but it seems expensive to me for what I'm getting.  Since the domain registration will be expiring in a couple of months, I thought that now would be the time to make a change.

Are you sure you mean the domain registration will expire? Your domain registration company (the guys who said "yes, blah.com is available for $10 per year") is not necessarily related to your web-hosting company (the guys who say "yes, we'll give you X email addresses and Y mb of space for your webpage, for $few per month"). And of course neither are related to your ISP (the guys who say "yes, you can have ADSL/dialup in your home").

Although my site itself is pretty small (in terms of bytes), I'm interested in E-mail storage space since I sometimes need to receive large attachments.  Another consideration would be that I'd like to have the ability to assign several E-mail addresses.

Frankly, any webhost's limits on these should not be an issue, if they are, change immediately! Better to worry about their customer service.

It's not necessary that the actual server hardware be located in Thailand but I'd want to hook up with a company that's not likely to go out of business in the near future.

Then frankly, avoid one in Thailand. The best deals are with US-based resellers; Hong Kong is an alternative.

Look at reviews of webhost companies here: www.webhostingtalk.com

Edited by The_Other_Mac

Are you sure you mean the domain registration will expire? Your domain registration company (the guys who said "yes, blah.com is available for $10 per year") is not necessarily related to your web-hosting company (the guys who say "yes, we'll give you X email addresses and Y mb of space for your webpage, for $few per month"). And of course neither are related to your ISP (the guys who say "yes, you can have ADSL/dialup in your home").

I mention that mainly because Loxinfo also handled my domain registration and so it expires at the same time as the hosting contract.

Last year, the domain did expire (I expected somebody would send me a bill or something when the time was coming close but they didn't). I contacted a local company, Web Hosting Thailand (or some name similar to that) who told me that they could not renew the domain name; I needed to do it through Loxinfo. Thus another year's contract. Was I informed wrong?

Last year, the domain did expire (I expected somebody would send me a bill or something when the time was coming close but they didn't).  I contacted a local company, Web Hosting Thailand (or some name similar to that) who told me that they could not renew the domain name; I needed to do it through Loxinfo.  Thus another year's contract.  Was I informed wrong?

Perhaps not from their viewpoint but the hosting company I mentioned and actually probably the majority can transfer the domain for you and usually no charge for it. No need to go through a third party. My web hosting company informs me at the end of the year that my annual contract is about to expire and also notifies me regarding my domain name. I just submit my annual payment and they handle everything from there. One stop shopping you might say.

I mention that mainly because Loxinfo also handled my domain registration and so it expires at the same time as the hosting contract.

Last year, the domain did expire (I expected somebody would send me a bill or something when the time was coming close but they didn't). I contacted a local company, Web Hosting Thailand (or some name similar to that) who told me that they could not renew the domain name; I needed to do it through Loxinfo. Thus another year's contract. Was I informed wrong?

That seems reasonable.

There are many webhosting companies, but only a few true domain registrars. A domain registrar is a company that does a job similar to land/house registration in the real world. They hold the proof that YOU are the owner of blah.com. For your own security, the best advice is always to do it yourself, even with a bit of hand-holding. To do otherwise would be the equivalent of your financial consultant opening your bank account in his own name to save you the trouble of messing around with paperwork.....

For .com, .org. .net and a few others, usually people use major companies such as Godaddy, Network Solutions, etc. True registrars always register the domain details with YOUR name, not theirs. (If your domain is .th, it's a whole different game.)

I've never tried to register a domain with CS Lox, I don't know what they do. However it may be that they actually hold the domain in their name, "on behalf of" yourself. If that's the case, you have a problem, because legally, they are the owners, and can stop you transferring the domain to someone else.

If the domain is genuinely registered to you, they are required by ICANN to cooperate if you want to transfer it to a different registrar.

To check who your domain is registered to, use a site such as this: http://www.networksolutions.com/whois/index.jhtml

Now, getting back to original question, which was about hosting, not domain registration... :o ...even if your domain stays registered with CS, you can host it with someone else. It may be that they have given you a package price for both. Annual domain-only fees should be under $25.

Now, getting back to original question, which was about hosting, not domain registration... :o ...even if your domain stays registered with CS, you can host it with someone else. It may be that they have given you a package price for both. Annual domain-only fees should be under $25.

Loxinfo is charging me 2400 Baht per year for hosting (10 MB) and another 2400 Baht for three POP3 accounts. Domain renewal is 900 Baht.

According to Network Solutions, my company is the registrant. Loxinfo is the technical contact. For administrative contact, my name and address is shown but with the E-mail address of [email protected].

Now, getting back to original question, which was about hosting, not domain registration... :D ...even if your domain stays registered with CS, you can host it with someone else. It may be that they have given you a package price for both. Annual domain-only fees should be under $25.

Loxinfo is charging me 2400 Baht per year for hosting (10 MB) and another 2400 Baht for three POP3 accounts. Domain renewal is 900 Baht.

Oh dear :o

According to Network Solutions, my company is the registrant.  Loxinfo is the technical contact.  For administrative contact, my name and address is shown but with the E-mail address of [email protected].

That should be okay, though slightly dodgy re email address. If you decide to use another registrant, they'll generally contact those email addresses to initiate a transfer.

Can concurr on the hosting from 3ix (see link post above)

Been hosting with them for a couple of years know, had some problems (created by myself :o ) which always got sorted out very quickly...

And the price is right (I pay 12 US$/year)

You'd be better off putting your site in the US if you can (I like 3iX as well and have several sites there, good customer service which is a bit of a feat considering how little we pay them).

Local prices aren't any cheaper, the support is usually *abysmal* even at the major ISPs, never mind the language barrier. Reliability is an issue and attitude to security is generally appalling (its all soooooo unecessary...until something goes wrong!).