New Korean Restaurant

Jayman

Those pancakes are called 'chon' and are made of wheat mixed with different ingredients which could be beef, pork, kimchi.

There wasn't meat in those pancakes and definitely no kimchi. I know all about Korean seafood pancakes which you can order as a large dish there and at most Korean restaurants. These were different. If I had to guess, I would say something like PUMPKIN. The texture was kind of similar to LATKES! Edited by Jingthing

Those pancakes are called 'chon' and are made of wheat mixed with different ingredients which could be beef, pork, kimchi.

There wasn't meat in those pancakes and definitely no kimchi. I know all about Korean seafood pancakes which you can order as a large dish there and at most Korean restaurants. These were different. If I had to guess, I would say something like PUMPKIN. The texture was kind of similar to LATKES!

Meat and kimchi are not the only ingredients that can be used, possibly they did make them from pumpkin as it is popular in Korea.

Here's kimchijeon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kimchijeon

and pajeon http://www.trifood.com/pajeon.asp

I guess maybe the "no frill" decor might help them keep the prices down as many places with high rent that are decorated to the hilt guess who pays for that. Plus their location isn't the best however I see at least JT giving good reports so I hope they do well. Actually I always hope anyone that puts effort into a legite business does well. At least this thread is helping them a little I hope.

I guess maybe the "no frill" decor might help them keep the prices down as many places with high rent that are decorated to the hilt guess who pays for that. Plus their location isn't the best however I see at least JT giving good reports so I hope they do well. Actually I always hope anyone that puts effort into a legite business does well. At least this thread is helping them a little I hope.

Not sure what you mean by no frill decor. The main I don't like about the place is making people sit in those Godawful private rooms! I think many people would see those as kind of a hiso thing.

The sign thing is weird. I wonder if they originally planned to be in the nightclub where the sign is. The sign is so far from the actual restaurant and there is no indication they are the same business. I still don't get what they were thinking. In any case, they could fix that easily enough, if they care enough to think about the experience from the potential customers point of view.

Edited by Jingthing

Aha! I just wasn't sure it was pumpkin but probably something like that. Anyway, they were perfect and I can see people wanting to go back there for more.

I think I have them for lunch regularly, there's not an overwhelming taste of pumpkin but the same colour as pumpkin. I'll ask next time I get some.

What I meant about "no frills" is the opposite to a hiso class decor where they would have the sign more appealing and properly placed and have a menue outside at the bottom of the stairs with a hostess standing to bring you to your seats/tables etc. Also in the dining area having plants, ponds with waterfalls, chandeliers etc. Many places are decorated like that and that's why the prices are higher, to cover the hiso decor.

Thats all I meant about there no frills decor. To be honest the first time I walked up the stairs I was hesitent and looking around because I wasn't even sure if that was the reataurants entrance or not.

What I meant about "no frills" is the opposite to a hiso class decor where they would have the sign more appealing and properly placed and have a menue outside at the bottom of the stairs with a hostess standing to bring you to your seats/tables etc. Also in the dining area having plants, ponds with waterfalls, chandeliers etc. Many places are decorated like that and that's why the prices are higher, to cover the hiso decor.

Thats all I meant about there no frills decor. To be honest the first time I walked up the stairs I was hesitent and looking around because I wasn't even sure if that was the reataurants entrance or not.

I know what you mean about the entrance. I reckon they are losing a large percentage of potential customers who just find the entire ordeal of even getting to the entrance rather daunting. You might wonder walking up the stairs if its actually a cover operation. They can't change being located upstairs, but they could change their physical approach to welcoming people.