Danger To Ourselves In Thailand.....

theblether

i like my drink (and perhaps other recreational stuffs) as much as, and perhaps more than, the next guy but take some pride in retaining a minimum level of decorum and control especially in my own backyard.

if i were to wake up in the street after a drunk i would be so mortified i would likely not touch alcohol or anything else for a very long time, if ever again.

I simply cant understand how this behavior would not be horrifying to any sane individual with a modicum of pride or self preservation instinct. Simply put, if it is starting to go pear-shaped, i head home.

i recently picked a foreigner up out of the door in front of a 7 11 on a thai island. he had pissed himself, and people were stepping over him to enter the shop. i drove him home and he was back in under 10 hours.

now, i now step over him like everyone else. if he doesn't care why should I?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like you said just a lot of people here that think they are free of the barriers of their home country and start to drink and drive. IMHO those people are the biggest idiots of all because they should know better.

I think the biggest problem is alcohol, and boredom. Guys figure that they are king because of the little money they have goes a longer way here and think they can do it all. Add in the attention of some girls of the night and those same average Joe's in their home country think they are some bad ass with no limits.

you talking from self experience?

Just kidding.

Yeah i see many freaks over here thinking they are special. I believe most farang over here think they are special. Hmmmm it could be down to the fact they have (working) girls chasing them around (for money of course). Just money i might add. Nothing else :)

i like my drink (and perhaps other recreational stuffs) as much as, and perhaps more than, the next guy but take some pride in retaining a minimum level of decorum and control especially in my own backyard.

if i were to wake up in the street after a drunk i would be so mortified i would likely not touch alcohol or anything else for a very long time, if ever again.

I simply cant understand how this behavior would not be horrifying to any sane individual with a modicum of pride or self preservation instinct. Simply put, if it is starting to go pear-shaped, i head home.

i recently picked a foreigner up out of the door in front of a 7 11 on a thai island. he had pissed himself, and people were stepping over him to enter the shop. i drove him home and he was back in under 10 hours.

It's a matter of conscience. You did the gentlemanly thing and saw a stranger home.

That stranger did the self destructive thing and went for a repeat performance the next day.

Your conscience is clear as you stepped forward to help. Something is bothering his conscience if he is drinking to that extent.

I don't know a drinking man, myself certainly included, that hasn't had the one over the eight, and said or did things while drunk that we are mortified about the next day.

Normally speaking we learn to control our intake when young, some of the performances from mature guys you see in Thailand are astounding.

When visiting Thailand remember this is not the same as the country you came from, this country has the rule of law the same as any other, many people come here either thinking or believing they can do whatever they want without consequences, I saw this a lot when I was in the navy and I see it a lot with the tourists that come here. Poeple have had sex on the train (in the bunk above my head), tourists have swapped info on where to get the best drugs (on the same train), I have seen falangs stumbling down the road in a drunken stupor yelling abuse at everyone they come across. People who come here assuming there is no rule of law and have a devil may care attitude not only endanger themselves, they also give all falangs a bad name. The law here may be more flexible than most other places, and fines may be payable on the spot, but people can only push their arm so far into the dogs mouth before it bites.

Sorry about the top bunk thing, I didn't realize there was a rule against it.

I'll get the bottom bunk next time.

I used the bottom bunk a couple of years ago but I thought we had bought both bunks so could share the bottom one. Was there a fare-dodger involved?
  • Like 1

ALCOHOL..... the mother of most evils. iafter few years of living here i can say that most of the time i saw idiot farangs get into trouble is because of alcohol. if it is driving drunk, getting into fights, not paying the bar's bill, etc.

And don't forget the football

I just HATE it when people lose control of their bowels, and especially around me.

Oh, I didn't know you hung around pattaya beer bars.

And I thought you were semi respectable.......

Don't kid yourself... I've been everywhere man, I've seen pubic hairs man, sticken out here and there man... as taken from the Mclean and Mclean rude version of Hank Snow's... I've been everywhere man.

ALCOHOL..... the mother of most evils. iafter few years of living here i can say that most of the time i saw idiot farangs get into trouble is because of alcohol. if it is driving drunk, getting into fights, not paying the bar's bill, etc.

Bring your brain with you.

Do some basic research into Thailand and Thai customs.

Leave your bad attitude behind.

Chill out, relax. Life is way to short smile.png

Regards drinking.....

Drink is not the problem, it is the person. Why does everyone blame it on the drink??

I have had a skinful of drink many times in many places in the world and I have not caused any fights or trouble.

I see people drink and cause problems but I also see many who go out for 4 or 5 hours drinking and stay happy.

That is where the attitude comes in. I live in a seriously rough and tumble part of Glasgow, Bridgeton. The Scots on tv know that the rules of combat in Bridgeton just like many other parts of Glasgow are brutal.

When I fly in to Thailand the last thing I want to see or hear is fighting talk. I recognize also that the rules of combat in Thailand are equally brutal.

These tin pot gangsters and ex-sas that infest a lot of tourist areas just don't have a clue what they are messing with.

These days I gravitate towards Thai economy restaurants and bars. There are many outstanding places out there where your not going to get your ears melted by some malcontent gangster wannabe.

So as I suspected you are not really a Motherwell Supporter; why did you not use the normal "I'm a Jags man" on the football forum? Sorry mate - couldn't resist but then I'm an ex-Livi season ticket holder, so I know about administration Edited by pastitche

It's a matter of conscience. You did the gentlemanly thing and saw a stranger home.

That stranger did the self destructive thing and went for a repeat performance the next day.

Your conscience is clear as you stepped forward to help. Something is bothering his conscience if he is drinking to that extent.

I don't know a drinking man, myself certainly included, that hasn't had the one over the eight, and said or did things while drunk that we are mortified about the next day.

Normally speaking we learn to control our intake when young, some of the performances from mature guys you see in Thailand are astounding.

Some of us revert to a second childhood, but sadly our bodies do not... a few beers that in the last century might have tempted me to the dance floor now see me nodding wisely, piling Zs into my half-empty glass.

SC

Oh, if only we could...

I stopped dealing with the riff raff many moons ago. I generally sit with the local Thai people and have a beer or two. Any drunkeness that occurs is in the confinds of my own house. I can"t tolerate aggressive or naive people in any form whatsoever.Like the OP, over the years I have witness dispecable behaviour and language from the mentally retarded. I don"t consider myselt to be perfect in anyway but I am respecful and courteous at all times. The few problems I"ve encounted since I"ve been here have been from drunken yobs. Normally fellow country men.

Think the OP should put his binoculars back in the case and mind his own business.

There is more shit going down in his home town than the whole of LOS. cowboy.gif

So in response to the OP's questions:

" what have you seen that made you cringe? and why do people insist in putting themselves into jeopardy here in Thailand? and finally......what would be the one bit of advice you would give to anyone coming here in regards to keeping out of danger?."

I take it your advice would be "Don't go to Glasgow."

SC

I stopped dealing with the riff raff many moons ago. I generally sit with the local Thai people and have a beer or two. Any drunkeness that occurs is in the confinds of my own house. I can"t tolerate aggressive or naive people in any form whatsoever.Like the OP, over the years I have witness dispecable behaviour and language from the mentally retarded. I don"t consider myselt to be perfect in anyway but I am respecful and courteous at all times. The few problems I"ve encounted since I"ve been here have been from drunken yobs. Normally fellow country men.

sounds like you are well on your way once again.

getting drunk alone at home is hardly a solution.

now if you were with a couple of mates......

Edited by tinfoilhat

Regards drinking.....

Drink is not the problem, it is the person. Why does everyone blame it on the drink??

I have had a skinful of drink many times in many places in the world and I have not caused any fights or trouble.

I see people drink and cause problems but I also see many who go out for 4 or 5 hours drinking and stay happy.

That is where the attitude comes in. I live in a seriously rough and tumble part of Glasgow, Bridgeton. The Scots on tv know that the rules of combat in Bridgeton just like many other parts of Glasgow are brutal.

When I fly in to Thailand the last thing I want to see or hear is fighting talk. I recognize also that the rules of combat in Thailand are equally brutal.

These tin pot gangsters and ex-sas that infest a lot of tourist areas just don't have a clue what they are messing with.

These days I gravitate towards Thai economy restaurants and bars. There are many outstanding places out there where your not going to get your ears melted by some malcontent gangster wannabe.

I have to agree with that sentiment.

I am lucky in that where I now live in Pattaya I rarely see any trouble. Maybe because the malcontents see no 'profit' with their attitudes. The majority of people see and hear who these idiots are, word get around and they are ignored. Then they get an attitude because we ignore these idiots. Sad b*stards.

The other thing that gets me is that these idiots are not drunken teenage yobs. These are - supposedly - grown men huh.png

In 5 years aound and about in the sticks, I rarely saw any fights or trouble. The odd woman would get a slap from her husband / boyfriend during the early hours for flirting about or the odd husband would be chased home with his wife brandishing a broom at his head. All Thai.

Yet in Khoasan Road I have seen more trouble than in Pattaya and all by white people.

People do blame the drink, but as I said earlier, it is not the drink but the people who drink.

• Like 1

Regards drinking.....

So as I suspected you are not really a Motherwell Supporter; why did you not use the normal "I'm a Jags man" on the football forum? Sorry mate - couldn't resist but then I'm an ex-Livi season ticket holder, so I know about administration

Nope, Well fan through and through, that!s why I know so much about administration too.

I like living in Bridgeton, it makes me appreciate Thailand all the more

I had some argument with my wife last time I was up in our CM house. I drove out of our house in anger at 10 pm. Didn't get back until 6 am. Since I was new to CM, I told her I got lost after having had 6 big bottles of beer. Does that count as drunk driving?

Think the OP should put his binoculars back in the case and mind his own business.

There is more shit going down in his home town than the whole of LOS. cowboy.gif

I see when u moved to Thailand you didn't forget to pack the chip on your shoulder.

I think he brought a whole poke, salt and vinegar included!

• Like 1

Is it much different to anywhere?! Get drunk, be aggressive/rude/stupid you will get into trouble at some point.

Fair point, no doubt some people get carried away thinking that they are on an eternal holiday in Thailand. Things go wrong and the Thai bashing becomes horrific.

In reality it's not Thailand, it's ourselves to blame.

I had some argument with my wife last time I was up in our CM house. I drove out of our house in anger at 10 pm. Didn't get back until 6 am. Since I was new to CM, I told her I got lost after having had 6 big bottles of beer. Does that count as drunk driving?

Oh dear. Yes, if you'd had a blood alcohol test at 6 am, it might have shown you to be drunk by most normal standards. The key thing is what you did before 6 am and if you've talked with your wife about your activities. Personally, I'd want Hubby to be tested for STDs.

Edited by NancyL

I don't go to many places that other foreigners go. When I am in my favourite haunts and another foreigner shows up, I keep my distance- sometimes I increase my distance. It's just not worth being around the type of people who are tourists here and dealing with the potential consequences of their bad behaviour or being 'guilty' by association.

The best thing that most tourists can do here is stay in the tourist zones where the Thais understand what counts as 'normal' behaviour for most tourists and will also usually tolerate a little bit of bad behaviour. Expats who want to continue to behave as tourists should do the same.

• Like 1

The key to living at peace in Thailand, is to not get involved.

My advice is: don’t become land and real estate speculators, purchase your homes, land and businesses strictly according to Thai law, don’t open a bar, don’t create or open any business where you are in direct competition with Thais, avoid long term relations with females from the underclass’s of Thai society, adapt to Thai society and Thai ways, in a dispute try to give the Thai the benefit of the doubt or at least a good compromise, don’t lose your temper, be polite and above all, don’t do drugs (use or deal) stay legal and within Thai law at all times, do not expect a yes Massa response from a Thai and don’t expect services and attitudes to equate those of the West.

Stick to these golden rules for foreigners living in Thailand, be safe, enjoy and live your lives in peace here.

Totally agree with you my man.

+1 coffee1.gif

Some of us revert to a second childhood, but sadly our bodies do not... a few beers that in the last century might have tempted me to the dance floor now see me nodding wisely, piling Zs into my half-empty glass.

SC

I can't help but think the dance floor is thankful.......

sounds like you are well on your way once again.

getting drunk alone at home is hardly a solution.

now if you were with a couple of mates......

Haven"t got much choice. The liitle one"s sleeping. Up at 5;30 so there"s no repeat performance of Friday"s babbling escapade.