Danger To Ourselves In Thailand.....

theblether

About the drinking: come on guys...didn't we all have moments where we had just too much fun? Didn't we all loose "it" one time or another?

Happens at home- happens here as well.

The only thing that helps: don't do to others as you wouldn't like to have done to yourself!

Edited by DocN

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not just in how foreigners behave in Thailand, or abroad, but what many seem to think is acceptable behavior.

People seem to think it is ok to throw Donald Duck-type fits when they don't like the way things are going.

Seen this in all sorts of places, from consulates to 7-11. Maybe acting like a spoiled brat is considered being in touch with your inner child.

Recently was having a prolonged discussion with another foreigner and he suddenly started carrying on making menacing faces and shouting "I KNOW THAT!" repeatedly. It was just a casual conversation, suddenly he's fit to be tied. I wonder if he shouts like that at the tv when it burdens him with redundant info.

I also avoid the farang ghettos when possible. When I have to deal with another foreigner the question is not whether the guy is drunk, but rather 'how drunk is he?' Years ago I was looking at movie DVDs at a street stall in lower Suk (Bangkok) and asked the woman if it was possible to test the disks. A youngish Aussie guy was there, piped in that all the disks he's bought have been of good quality. The woman still did not answer, so I asked her again and the fellow got testy. "I SAID..." etc. Lad was looking for a rumble, and I spoiled his day by walking off.

I don't know how you all find all these wierdos. I must lead a charmed life, but I rarely, if ever, bump into such types, even in lower Sukhumvit and Soi Cowboy.

SC

Agreed - Life's simply normal for me. I don't see these Westerners making problems and throwing hissy fits at the slightest issue. In fact, mostly I see Westerners trying to fit in by being polite and respectful.

Even the certifiable nutters like the Gold Man in Pattaya bring fun to the world without brining calamity.

I suppose there are the idiots out there who drink, cause problems, have expanded ego's etc - but they don't exist to the extent this thread suggests.

Right then, I'm off to Emporium to find Grumpy Old Man !

• Like 1

I don't know how you all find all these wierdos. I must lead a charmed life, but I rarely, if ever, bump into such types, even in lower Sukhumvit and Soi Cowboy.

SC

Once you have acquaintances like drug dealers from Cambodia, you will have lots of stories like that to tell.

And even better: you can tell the TV forum that you are so much classier than your acquaintances and not such a buffalo as them. Good for your self-esteem!

A friend of a friend Greensnapper. I never had any time for him. In fact, our mutual acquaintance deliberately kept us apart because I could barely conceal my contempt for him while I was around him. It's ok though - he found his natural place in the world. And noone knew what he was upto until we saw the perp walk picture in the press - I recall him bullshitting and say that his frequent trips overseas were to - get this - scout for supermarket opportunities in Madagascar.

As for being classier than people like that, it doesn't take much effort really does it?

Edited by bendix

Staying out of trouble here means, among other things, choosing your friends carefully.

I've seen too many instances where expats have befriended tourists who mistakenly think that all Thai girls are up for it.

Before you know it, new friends AND expat are ironed out on the floor just because one of them touches a girl inappropriately.

Think the OP should put his binoculars back in the case and mind his own business.

There is more shit going down in his home town than the whole of LOS. cowboy.gif

I see when u moved to Thailand you didn't forget to pack the chip on your shoulder.

What chip ?

Just a good memory of shit l had to deal with, and not in Scotland, but l hear it's much the same up there..drunk.gif .

Edited by transam

SC

Once you have acquaintances like drug dealers from Cambodia, you will have lots of stories like that to tell.

And even better: you can tell the TV forum that you are so much classier than your acquaintances and not such a buffalo as them. Good for your self-esteem!

Suddenly I see how I retain my acquaintances!

they must think like you...

SC

I think this thread is all about the 'apologists' being better and more Thai than the rest of us.

Most of the problem drunks I bump into are Thai, hanging out in tourist areas.

Most of the violent people I see are Thai beating on Thai.

Or maybe Bendix, theblether and HardenedSoul just hang out in tourist low-life areas.

Edited by ludditeman

I think this thread is all about the 'apologists' being better and more Thai than the rest of us.

Or maybe Bendix, theblether and HardenedSoul just hang out in tourist low-life areas.

I don't recall seeing them...

SC

• Like 1

Getting back on topic (and I'm as guilty as others)...

Most expats have retired and, if they've lived here a while, have had 'bad' experiences here in one form or another.

Being retired makes it only too easy to accept the easy way out - drink to forget your problems!

Most expats have retired and, if they've lived here a while, have had 'bad' experiences here in one form or another.

Being retired makes it only too easy to accept the easy way out - drink to forget your problems!

I've not had any bad experiences in Thailand, they've all been fun.

Drinking is more a problem for those with too much time on their hands, without the intellect to fill that time IMHO.

To continue in ludditeman's entirely predictable way:

The Iranian bombers last week were not Iranian, but were in fact evil and incompetent Thais. How else did they bungle it so badly?

Thailand is quite possibly the worst place in the world to do anything. Everyone is crap, corrupt and idiots. Except me of course.

I hate it in Thailand. I wish is was somewhere else.

I especially hate the apologists, particularly for their ability to see good things (alongside the inevitable frustrations being a westerner living in a developing country) in their new home.

I'm miserable.

Anything I miss?

Drinking is more a problem for those with too much time on their hands, without the intellect to fill that time IMHO.

Drinking wouldn't be a problem for you, with your 250 baht budget.

The Iranian bombers last week were not Iranian, but were in fact evil and incompetent Thais. How else did they bungle it so badly?

Thailand is quite possibly the worst place in the world to do anything. Everyone is crap, corrupt and idiots. Except me of course.

I especially hate the apologists, particularly for their ability to see good things (alongside the inevitable frustrations being a westerner living in a developing country) in their new home.

I'm miserable.

I'm sorry you feel like that Bendix, maybe time for you to move somewhere else.

I'm miserable.

Typical apologist response.

Living safely in Thailand pretty much follows living safely in most other countries. Don't make waves might be one way to put it.

I was in the Philippines and Vietnam on business last week. On Saturday, before going to the airport to return to Thailand, I rushed over the a grocery store at Glorietta Mall, an upscale mall in upscale Makati. On the way back, this con guy who has approached me several times before came up and told me he worked at my hotel. FOr whatever reason, this time, I didn't ignore him. I told him he was lying, that he said that every time I came past no matter at what hotel I was staying. I told him he was a piece of excrement (well, not that word), and to get out of my way. When he started to go on, I told him I would call the police. He stepped towards me and I half raised my fist and stepped towards him. He backed off quickly and walked away.

I crossed the street and walked on. I only happened to glance back a few minutes later and saw him, now with three other guys, on my tail. Discretion being the better part of valor, I stepped into Greenbelt Mall, with all their security guards, and I never saw them again.

So I backed down a con guy. Big deal. I might have paid the price on that had they caught up to me in a more secluded area.

What is ironic is that my confrontation with him was very out-of-character for me. I am nto sure why he pushed my buttons, but I am glad nothing worse resulted.

Thailand, the Philippines, heck, many parts of my home in San Diego. Act foolishly, and pay the price.

• Like 1

I'm miserable.

Typical apologist response.

Even the apologists are crap here.

Nostalgia was much better back in the Old Country

Edited by StreetCowboy

Drinking wouldn't be a problem for you, with your 250 baht budget.

That's the size of his budget, not his thirst

Living safely in Thailand pretty much follows living safely in most other countries. Don't make waves might be one way to put it.

I was in the Philippines and Vietnam on business last week. On Saturday, before going to the airport to return to Thailand, I rushed over the a grocery store at Glorietta Mall, an upscale mall in upscale Makati. On the way back, this con guy who has approached me several times before came up and told me he worked at my hotel. FOr whatever reason, this time, I didn't ignore him. I told him he was lying, that he said that every time I came past no matter at what hotel I was staying. I told him he was a piece of excrement (well, not that word), and to get out of my way. When he started to go on, I told him I would call the police. He stepped towards me and I half raised my fist and stepped towards him. He backed off quickly and walked away.

I crossed the street and walked on. I only happened to glance back a few minutes later and saw him, now with three other guys, on my tail. Discretion being the better part of valor, I stepped into Greenbelt Mall, with all their security guards, and I never saw them again.

So I backed down a con guy. Big deal. I might have paid the price on that had they caught up to me in a more secluded area.

What is ironic is that my confrontation with him was very out-of-character for me. I am nto sure why he pushed my buttons, but I am glad nothing worse resulted.

Thailand, the Philippines, heck, many parts of my home in San Diego. Act foolishly, and pay the price.

I had a guy pull a knife on me in Malate once. He told me to give him my phone and wallet. I laughed - I must admit it was 3am and I was emotionally distraught. Rather bizarrely, he smiled and stepped out of the way to let me pass.

It was all very weird and surreal.

If I may just point out, where I posted 'Drinking', I of course meant 'EXCESSIVE drinking', in case any casual drinkers were unintentionally upset by my post.

I had some argument with my wife last time I was up in our CM house. I drove out of our house in anger at 10 pm. Didn't get back until 6 am. Since I was new to CM, I told her I got lost after having had 6 big bottles of beer. Does that count as drunk driving?

Oh dear. Yes, if you'd had a blood alcohol test at 6 am, it might have shown you to be drunk by most normal standards. The key thing is what you did before 6 am and if you've talked with your wife about your activities. Personally, I'd want Hubby to be tested for STDs.

Oh, Nancy, I had to look up what STD stands for.

I made up the post as a joke. The said event never took place. I thought people wouldn't take it seriously judging the way I put it, but I was apparently wrong. Nancy, you still don't trust your hubby after more than 30 years of marriage?... Oh, I know, I guess almost all females don't trust any man.

Personally, I know my role. If I did not practice casual sex when younger and opportunities abound why would I want to get myself into trouble and hurt my loved ones now that I'm getting old. My wife loves to crticize some male side of her family by saying: You think that young girl would like that old man if he doesn't have money?... Needless to say, her such comment is also a signal to me... Stealing the word from some TV members: I know I am no handsum man.laugh.png

I guess anyone who doesn't rail against all things Thai is an "apologist" in your eyes.

I guess anyone who doesn't rail against all things Thai is an "apologist" in your eyes.

Sorry!

Bonobo, I think you were lucky, 'cause Filipinos are much less confrontation-shy than Thais- and often better armed.That said, next time you go you might want to be ready actually to call the police. The people who do those things are definitely unscrupulous- better to ignore, or maybe leave a camera running hanging on your chest and get a video of the guy to post on Youtube... :P Sounds like you just weren't prepared to take any bullsh!t from strangers that day.... but considering who you're talking about, I wouldn't say you behaved badly. You got angry because an actual criminal that has pestered you before tried to victimise you again. Being socially shunned and mistreated is what those types deserve, if not a lot worse.