Democrats To Grill PM On Four Seasons Meeting

Lite Beer

Democrats to grill PM on Four Seasons meeting

The Nation on Sunday February

BANGKOK:-- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra could face close scrutiny in Parliament over her controversial Four Seasons Hotel lunch with a group of businessmen, including Settha Thaweesin, the president of Sansiri Plc.

Democrat Party deputy spokeswoman Mallika Boonmitrakul said the party legal team had submitted a request to the House Committee on Economic Development to launch an assets investigation against the Sansiri chief and records of the company's meetings with Yingluck.

The move came a day after Settha admitted he and a group of seven businessmen met the prime minister at the Four Seasons on February 8 to offer their opinion on the national situation and economic issues such as finance and interest rates.

Parliament erupted in turmoil on Thursday and was ordered closed after the Democrats tried to ask why Yingluck had not attended a House meeting but opted instead to visit the hotel. Yingluck, who was away on an official inspection of the provinces to solve flood problems, was not in Parliament to answer the question.

Mallika said the Democrats had no intention to attack or harass Yingluck on personal issues but the PM was a public figure and all her actions must be accountable. She called on Yingluck to clarify the issue and not use her womanhood to conceal her actions.

"Settha said his group met Yingluck for two hours. We want to know if it was a secret discussion on the real-estate business, which might involve a conflict of interest,'' Mallika said.

The Democrats will also wait for the results of an investigation by the Parliamentary Ombudsman on the same matter.

"Using office hours for business negotiations could be unethical. As a public figure, the PM must be accountable and we wonder if there was any conflict of interest involved in their meeting,'' she explained.

Bangkok Democrat MP Chanin Rungsaeng, a member of the House Committee on Economic Development, said the panel would summon Yingluck and others involved in the controversy to give statements because the issue could involve a conflict of interest and unfair economic development.

Yingluck posted a message on her Facebook page yesterday defending herself, saying it was sad that Thais insulted each other in order to gain advantage in sexuality or work, or for vested and political interests. "I would like to seek cooperation and understanding of the role of women. Thai women must be treated with dignity and honour," she said.

Deputy government spokesman Chalitrat Chantaribeksa defended the PM, saying as the country's top executive, she needed to get information from every business sector to make decisions.

"Meeting businessmen to get information is not wrong. We don't want the Opposition to cast a negative light on every issue because it will not help the country get anywhere,'' he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-19

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She excused herself over the issue on Facebook?

She is the PM, the place to discuss government related issues is in parliament. Facebook! for heaven's sake!

A nice double standard excuse there too, "I'm a girl be nice to me!"

What we have developing here is a Four Seasonsgate. Oh what a tangled web we weave........... Now it is reported a deputy prime minister ordered the hotel to delete the CCTV footage taken on the seventh floor where the meeting took place. hit-the-fan.gif

• Like 2

What we have developing here is a Four Seasonsgate. Oh what a tangled web we weave........... Now it is reported a deputy prime minister ordered the hotel to delete the CCTV footage taken on the seventh floor where the meeting took place. hit-the-fan.gif

Four Seasongate eh!, like it,like it! cowboy.gif

If this clandestine meeting was all above-board and squeaky clean, why wasn't it and its agenda declared on the first day? That would have quashed any innuendo and subsequent embarassment.

What priority does she place on attending parliament? Lower than this meeting, and a smiley tour of the provinces, obviously.

Sounds spicy, and/or "earthy"

Sounds like inappropriate use of pizza toppings.

• Like 1

Yingluck posted a message on her Facebook page yesterday defending herself, saying it was sad that Thais insulted each other in order to gain advantage in sexuality or work, or for vested and political interests. "I would like to seek cooperation and understanding of the role of women. Thai women must be treated with dignity and honour," she said.

If you can't stand the heat, go back to the kitchen?

Why do I immediately think Chalerm?

Why do I immediately think Chalerm?

My thoughts exactly!

Any word from the GM of The Four Seasons as to why he allowed the "Tapes" to be accessed in the security area? This is a secured area that can not be accessed without security clearance and can not even be accessed by most employees. . Security Only. Bit odd and if true i know some funky shit be going down in the city.guitar.gif

Any word from the GM of The Four Seasons as to why he allowed the "Tapes" to be accessed in the security area? This is a secured area that can not be accessed without security clearance and can not even be accessed by most employees. . Security Only. Bit odd and if true i know some funky shit be going down in the city.guitar.gif

I'm sure if this is indeed true the GM of Four Seasons has been ordered by the DPM to keep silent on the matter. Especially if it was Chalerm. Developinglicklips.gif .

I'm sure if this is indeed true the GM of Four Seasons has been ordered by the DPM to keep silent on the matter. Especially if it was Chalerm. Developinglicklips.gif .

On what authoritah? Couldn't they tell him to "Suck it"?huh.png

Edited by FOODLOVER

This isn't going to go away.

The BP article says the tape shows a man and YS ging into a room and the 2 of them coming out some time later......

If that would be the case that's Yinglucks personal life and she can get on with it and is nobody's business.

On the other hand if she's been doing backroom business deals behind closed doors that's a different kettle of fish entirely.

One is her private life as anybody else is entitled to, the other, as supposed PM of Thailand, is illegal.

The BP article says the tape shows a man and YS ging into a room and the 2 of them coming out some time later......

No mention of the other 5 or 6 people that were supposedly there?

None at all......

Nobody threatening to sue yet either.....

If that would be the case that's Yinglucks personal life and she can get on with it and is nobody's business.

On the other hand if she's been doing backroom business deals behind closed doors that's a different kettle of fish entirely.

One is her private life as anybody else is entitled to, the other, as supposed PM of Thailand, is illegal.

Yes and no.

Should Clinton have been exposed over the Monica felatio incident?

If she cheats on her common law husband, does that mean she may cheat on the country?

Lik it or not, once you are a senior member of government, your life is public.

Maybe he was 'hansum man.' biggrin.png

Maybe with 7 men they were playing out a Snow White fantasy.

Whatever it was about, she should have been more discrete regarding her arrival/departure, such that the surveillance cameras would have only caught someone with sungalsses and a big hat.

I would think these VIPs have professional handlers well-versed in assuring low-profile transitions, like through the kitchen and so on. But maybe the hi-so types are too prideful to enter a place as crude as a commercial kitchen.

All are behaving as if they did something they will regret if held up to the light. If she is coyly making it appear she was having an indiscretion, which as a woman she claims is her right, then what the meeting was really about must be big stuff indeed!

Nothing warrants more curiousity than a statement like 'nothing happened.'

A "courageous" but career-limiting move...

Of course they could have told him to suck it but TIT and I'm not saying it definately was Chalerm but if it was that would be like telling the La Cosa Nostra to suck it. Not many people have the guts to do that.