Advice On Importing Car From Uk

tonika

Hopefully I'll be coming to settle with my wife in Isaan in July, after my retirement from work here in the UK. Was wondering if it was cheaper to buy a new car here in the UK, and then have it transported to Thailand to avoid UK VAT ?. Or should I just buy, once I get to Thailand ?.

I'd be obliged if someone could give me the advantages or disadvantages in doing this. Also, If it were feasible I'm sure there would be some sort of tax to pay in Thailand. I would really appreciate any help on this subject.

thanks

A Thai can import a car they have owned for a year with a minimal tax (30% ?), factor in transport and it's not a good deal unless the car is a particularly expensive one in LOS.

Any new car imported would be hit with massive tarrifs.

Buy it here.

As stated above buy in LOS. It's a corrupt nightmare importing a ride here unless you really are a millionaire and throwing dosh away is no problem.

Regular rides here are a good price but if you want to go up market for a Merc or similar then you will pay double the UK price. wink.png

Do not even think of importing your car.

As many members know I lost my Supra at Laem Chabang, The agreed import tax just went up and up everytime I agreed the new price.

Seems the customs (crooks) guys will just keep increasing the duty until you walk away, then they seem to be able to buy the car through a dealer on the cheap.

TTM

Do not even think of importing your car.

As many members know I lost my Supra at Laem Chabang, The agreed import tax just went up and up everytime I agreed the new price.

Seems the customs (crooks) guys will just keep increasing the duty until you walk away, then they seem to be able to buy the car through a dealer on the cheap.

TTM

Cars the customs dept. have seized go to auction, but you can probably guess how open that process is.. ;)

Hi Moonriveroasis

You are of course correct that the cars are sent to auction, but not all.

If certain individuals within the customs department take a shine to your pride and joy they can when you have walked away from the extortion make an offer themselves for the car. possibly through a proxy.

This is why not all the cars end up at auction, mine being a case in point.

TTM

Hi Moonriveroasis

You are of course correct that the cars are sent to auction, but not all.

If certain individuals within the customs department take a shine to your pride and joy they can when you have walked away from the extortion make an offer themselves for the car. possibly through a proxy.

This is why not all the cars end up at auction, mine being a case in point.

TTM

Yep, the best picks seem to have always mysteriously dissapeared by the time the auction lots are announced whistling.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Need to check with the immigation dept. and/or custom but you can also have a visa for a car. 5 or 6 years ago, a friend did send his car ( old citroen 2cv ) to Singapore, came back to Thailand by road, had a "visa" for 3 months and had to go to Laem Chabang every 3 months for extension...