Challenge "Moon Shot"

Kan Win

Ahh that interesting. I don't think I changed the ISO. Will play about with it having a look - it was adjusting that automatically I think but not sure as the camera was in manual mode. Dearly wish I had got the full crater shot but for a first time but that would only have been luck. Here's hoping for a clear night tomorrow and some more moon action.You mention contrast but I not understand the reference. Thanks for the tips.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quite often the moon photos are a tad too bright at least for my personal taste. I did it earlier as well. You photo used fast enough shutter speed so that the veins of the moon from the big crater are visible.

Ahh got you. I first thought I would need a longer shutter speed to get the detail, but just ended up with various white disks. The ones i liked better had were in the 3000-4000 range in the end.

The technique I use is to set the aperture at maximum (smallest number), the ISO at lowest and check the cameras decision on speed. At f/11 you are at the edge of coming into diffraction limiting depending on the lens/sensor. The speed for handheld should be no slower then 1/focal length. With IS, then you can get 2-4 stops slower speed depending on how well IS performs on your camera.

All my shots were handheld. Just remember, the moon is reflecting the sun off it and is surprisingly bright. My 600mm smallest aperture is f/5.6 so that would dictate 1/600 second but the IS is excellent so I easily was able to get speeds under 1/320 second and not have to bump ISO up.

Focusing and exposure was the hardest part for me to pin down initially as you have an extremely high contrast object and cameras are tuned for 18% grey exposure. So need to set spot focus and spot metering if you have the capability. With my Olympus EM-1 I use the manual focus with focus peaking and nails it every time.

//edit - almost forgot, set the white balance to daylight as it is sunlight you are seeing.

I stopped doing full moon shots as they are always the same and a little flat without the nice 3D effects from the shadows off the craters. But since this topic popped up again and a surprisingly clear night in Chiang Mai, stepped out on the balcony to take a couple. This is just a couple of days off of a full moon thus given some nice 3D effect on the right side of the moon. Taken with the camera set to monochrome (B&W).

Olympus EM-1 with Panasonic Lumix G-Vario 100-300 (200-600 35mm equivalent) lens. ISO 320, f/5.6, 1/500 second shutter speed 600 mm focal length. In this case I kept the ISO a couple of stops above the lowest as the speed would be a little too slow as I was standing and shooting handheld and the image was wobbling about a bit. biggrin.png

15012505308_6439065c81_c.jpg

Don't know if mine above meets your quality but I can give you one but you need at least Adobe Raw 8.3 to read the .orf files. Also, would probably need to e-mail them to you as I don't know if I can add it as an attachment. Also note, the ones above are cropped .jpg so the RAW the moon will be smaller. The RAW size is about 12.9MB.

Don't know if mine above meets your quality but I can give you one but you need at least Adobe Raw 8.3 to read the .orf files. Also, would probably need to e-mail them to you as I don't know if I can add it as an attachment. Also note, the ones above are cropped .jpg so the RAW the moon will be smaller. The RAW size is about 12.9MB.

Yours'll do nicely thank you T.

(In truth they're the ones I'm after)

Cheers for them links MJP since upgrading to CS6 from CS I have never used the refine edges function and quick selection tool.

That is an awesome tool and function that saves so much time from previous versions and delivers good results.

Just done a composite in the flowers thread.

Cheers for them links MJP since upgrading to CS6 from CS I have never used the refine edges function and quick selection tool.

That is an awesome tool and function that saves so much time from previous versions and delivers good results.

Just done a composite in the flowers thread.

Refine edge and opacity/fill tools are where it's at.

• 4 weeks later...

Something a little different. The moon was surrounded by tree leaves so decided to do one silhouetting it. Obviously can't have everything in focus considering the close proximity of the leaves and the distance to the moon. smile.png

15012495887_955bec2d7b_c.jpg

If you want both the leaves and the moon to be in focus. Try shooting twice. One with the leaves in focus and one with the moon in focus. Then photoshop the focused moon on top of the out of focus moon. You need to expand the focused moon a little first so you cover the a slightly bigger area than your out of focus moon. This wil give you a razor sharp edge around the moon on the finished picture. Sorry I don't have any examples to show you as I'm offshore working, without access to my pictures at the moment.

Something a little different. The moon was surrounded by tree leaves so decided to do one silhouetting it. Obviously can't have everything in focus considering the close proximity of the leaves and the distance to the moon. smile.png

15012495887_955bec2d7b_c.jpg

If you want both the leaves and the moon to be in focus. Try shooting twice. One with the leaves in focus and one with the moon in focus. Then photoshop the focused moon on top of the out of focus moon. You need to expand the focused moon a little first so you cover the a slightly bigger area than your out of focus moon. This wil give you a razor sharp edge around the moon on the finished picture. Sorry I don't have any examples to show you as I'm offshore working, without access to my pictures at the moment.

That is a good idea. I posted a topic after the above shot on focus stacking and will give it a go sometime. Actually, my Olympus EM-1 has stacking capability built into it that I forgot about. You can take two separate shots and it will stack them (overlay) them but Photoshopping will give more flexibility.

• 3 months later...

Nasa reveals far side of the Moon

Nasa has released a view of the Moon that cannot be seen from Earth. Using nearly five-years of mapping data from the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, the space agency has created footage showing what it is like on the far side.

The far side of the Moon is home to a scarred area known as the South Pole-Aitken, one of the largest and oldest 'impacts' in the solar system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31297370

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived