Challenge "Moon Shot"

Kan Win

Oops , iso was up at 800 , no I did not apply sharpen to the image that's what has me confused , I used the auto tone in elements and got to the best , well what I thought viewable image .

I may have to go as manual a possible to get any descent image out of this camera , still trying .....

edit , not using LR for editing

Cheers

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oops , iso was up at 800 , no I did not apply sharpen to the image that's what has me confused , I used the auto tone in elements and got to the best , well what I thought viewable image .

I may have to go as manual a possible to get any descent image out of this camera , still trying .....

And the sensor size is 1/2.3 in. which is 6.17mm wide compared to a m4/3 or APS-C at 17.3mm and 22.2mm respectively so very important to keep the ISO at minimum as the sensor pixel size is small. The moon, even at half should still give you a pretty fast shutter speed at lowest ISO. Also, aperture range through zoom appears to be f/2.8 to f/6.5 which is pretty fast for a zoom that long. If not using a tripod, place the side of the camera against a post or on top of a ledge to help stabilize it.

• 2 weeks later...

This image taken today with a Nikon P900 and a CP , I still am having a lot of noise issues with this camera / lens . Shame it only processes JPEG images .

You could do some post processing and remove the noise, a plugin to remove the noise and then a mask to correct detail etc

High%20Pass_zpsqd0omets.jpg

Thanks heaps for the info , just I cannot get my head around the system I have now blink.png

I would like to start using LR so that everything would be flowing a lot easier , seems I have so much to learn ,

and with the added stress of trying to find a planet in the Solar System that apparently is 11deg above the horizon ( South ) ?

I thought about Topaz de-noise , but I mainly shoot RAW and adapt to the editing in PS Editor , so another format would send me even more nutbag !

The P900 only shoots Jpeg , so I have to get around that one without losing too much data from transferring images facepalm.gif

Many thanks for going to the trouble of trying to sort out that image , and you did a splendid job as well thumbsup.gif

Tomorrow I am going on a photo shoot at a car show , already got most of the gear in the bag , just wish I had of purchased that 17-40 L f4 rolleyes.gif

Still onward and upward .....

Cheers

Yes , it is in the South ... well South east to be a little more precise and at an elevation of around 20deg. Darn just got it starting to happen and the Batt mot laew !

I never learned so much about the cosmos before the last 2 days , still I am going to give this my best shot !

I need to figure out a remote release or a timer to get a stable image , the sky is clear for the next few days , been toying with exposure as well.

This camera does not like to be forced into anything too much on manual settings either , so I have to use user settings , it just will not max zoom on manual !

Saturn : First image at optical zoom , 2nd with digital zoom , ok not great but give an old bugger a bit of time , I only just learned today that the moon is over Jupiter w00t.gif

DSCN0236.JPG

DSCN0241.JPG

1 second @ 6.5 and 1600 iso

^ Saturn - notoriously difficult with a bridge cam . . . i've tried many times. sad.png

It is possible though to get reasonable images (disk & rings) but you need multiple stacked images at the right exposure for best results.

not my images . . . but this is the best kind of shot likely from any bridge cam:

Saturn_20130603_Overview.png

i might try again now that the planet is at opposition.

Since it was Wisakha Bucha Day yesterday, I thought I'd take a moon shot. Not the greatest as I only took a minute to set it up in my front yard and the mossies were having a go at me big time. I used too high an ISO so might try again with 100 another evening.

Canon 6D

Tamron 150-600mm @ 600mm

1/250

f6.3

ISO400

UV Filter

PP with ACDsee Pro 8, converted to B/W

post-124914-0-04005200-1433223638_thumb.

is your Moon half empty, or half full ?

Incredible. Would love to see the exif data

can't remember to be honest . . . i take so many of these shots, i usually discard them after i'm done with them, but it was most likely about 1/160s - f6.5 - iso 80. Almost certainly shot at dusk, not in the night - don't let the blackness fool ya. (always better in my experience)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't forget to check out the smiling moon tomorrow night.

http://thainews.prd.go.th/centerweb/newsen/NewsDetail?NT01_NewsID=WNSOC5806180010066

Unfortunately I think it was setting from Thailand the same time as the sun, I managed to catch a glimspe but the smile wasn't so evident prominent from where I am.........more like an angry drunken grimace...post-84219-0-39648300-1434741008_thumb.j

• 2 weeks later...

Two days ago in the evening and without a foot ( crazy Assurancetourix cheesy.gif )

f/4.0 - 1/160* s - ISO 160 - focal length 1248 mm - 2015:07:01 19:43:29

19180058228_21b135ff7d_b.jpg

The day after in the morning , I was on my MTB, no foot ...again

f/2.8 - 1/125* s - ISO 250 - focal length 1248 mm - 2015:07:02 05:09:45

19367635055_042fc900b5_b.jpg

I forgot the name of the camera : Bridge Lumix FZ 200

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived