New Visa Rules For Fathers Of Thai Children

The children are the real victims. The father has to explain to his child that the government has decided that they are not entitled to have a father. But then the children are considered "Lube koong", so their undesirables anyway.

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm sorry but I would take very little from this at all.

There is no mention of the code for the Non immigrant visa though we assume it's a Non-0 visa.

This is hardly a new rule anyway, if you arn't married to the mother of the child what right should you have to get the visa anyway.

Seems like the only reason why you got the email in the first place was because some guy knocked up a girl in Pattaya and thought it would be a good way to get a visa.

Oh and to those who think it's racist go back and ask your own consulate if this would fly in your country, it wouldn't. have a kid in america to an unwed mother good luck if you think you'll get a green card.

Seems an attempt at tackling the hundreds of British men who have these part time / sometimes second families on the go in Thailand –

Sorry, I read the headline:

Crackdown on Non-Immigrant "O" visas for supporting Thai child.

Then once I looked it was just about fathers from The UK. How about a bit of clarity in your headlines George?

Can you also please inform your readers that they must never post their passport from Thailand to any other country for any reason because there will not be any evidence in their passport to show that they exited Thailand.

So you can explicitly send your passport from a country other than Thailand for any reason you choose, such as the renewing of a Thai visa.

Sorry, I read the headline:

Crackdown on Non-Immigrant "O" visas for supporting Thai child.

Then once I looked it was just about fathers from The UK. How about a bit of clarity in your headlines George?

Apparently the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok has instructed all their Embassies and Consulates about this. It is unlikely that this is for UK only, it may take some time for other countries/embassies to act. We an only guess when at this point.

The children are the real victims. The father has to explain to his child that the government has decided that they are not entitled to have a father. But then the children are considered "Lube koong", so their undesirables anyway.

No one is denying you parental rights if you are truly the natural father. But the Thai legal system no more trusts the word of an unmarried Thai women that gives birth than you should and therefor more precise tests as in DNA are required to prove you are the father. You'd think for most fathers this would be a blessing as the government is taking the heat for requiring the DNA test off of the fathers.

Would you be happier if unmarried women could just go claiming that anyone they saw fit was the father of their child and the courts took their word for it?

Also, nothing is stopping you from adopting a thai child even if you are not the natural father. Stop being such a drama queen and trying to blame the government for women having babies out of wedlock and take some of the responsibility yourself and marry the women if you intend to have a baby.

"Drama Queen?" Is it too difficult to express your opinion without injecting ad hominem insults?

No one is denying you parental rights if you are truly the natural father. But the Thai legal system no more trusts the word of an unmarried Thai women that gives birth than you should and therefor more precise tests as in DNA are required to prove you are the father. You'd think for most fathers this would be a blessing as the government is taking the heat for requiring the DNA test off of the fathers.

Would you be happier if unmarried women could just go claiming that anyone they saw fit was the father of their child and the courts took their word for it?

Also, nothing is stopping you from adopting a thai child even if you are not the natural father. Stop being such a drama queen and trying to blame the government for women having babies out of wedlock and take some of the responsibility yourself and marry the women if you intend to have a baby.

"Drama Queen?" Is it too difficult to express your opinion without injecting ad hominem insults?

Forgive me if you took the comment wrong as I was in no way trying to insult your sexuality but I must repeat that you are acting quite dramatic with this whole thing even my comment seemed to get you all worked up.

Incidentally, I don't consider "drama queen" a homophobic term but rather one that is describing the actions of one who is acting overly dramatic as females tend to do.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/drama_queen

Any person who behaves in an overly dramatic manner so as to garner attention.
Edited by Jayman
  • Like 1

If you divorce your Thai wife and have children with her and you support them, what happens then? Visit your kids on tourist visas? What happens if you have custody of the kids in Thailand? Get a new Thai wife?

Would not move to Thailand permanently; I don't like being a second class citizen in someone elses country. Would rather stay in my country or another country that would give me equal rights.

I have to transfer money to the girlfriends account from mine before we transfer to a lawyer as she at least has the rights of address if the lawyer doesn't do what is agreed...

Before you tell me if I don't like it, why don't I go home? Well I do!

snapback.pngstarcatcher, on Today, 01:54 , said:

snapback.pngThaiSold, on Today, 01:39 , said:

There is no mention of the code for the Non immigrant visa though we assume it's a Non-0 visa.

This is hardly a new rule anyway, if you arn't married to the mother of the child what right should you have to get the visa anyway.

Seems like the only reason why you got the email in the first place was because some guy knocked up a girl in Pattaya and thought it would be a good way to get a visa.

Oh and to those who think it's racist go back and ask your own consulate if this would fly in your country, it wouldn't. have a kid in america to an unwed mother good luck if you think you'll get a green card.

Not true: the mother of a child with German nationality has the right to stay with the child in Germany, because it is the given right to a mother to take care of her child. Even not a language test is needed under this circumstances. When she wants to be with her child in Germany, she don't need to show money, give a proof of return, not need to be married to a German etc. And I can imagine, this is similar at other countries.

Yes.. With you all the way ThaiSold... If you have an issue with this"new" rule, maybe you should examine the real reasons why this would be inconvenient to you. Hmmmm! And, the article is about the father claiming the visa, not the mother.

If you divorce your Thai wife and have children with her and you support them, what happens then? Visit your kids on tourist visas? What happens if you have custody of the kids in Thailand? Get a new Thai wife?

Would not move to Thailand permanently; I don't like being a second class citizen in someone elses country. Would rather stay in my country or another country that would give me equal rights.

I have to transfer money to the girlfriends account from mine before we transfer to a lawyer as she at least has the rights of address if the lawyer doesn't do what is agreed...

Before you tell me if I don't like it, why don't I go home? Well I do!

If you are married when the children are born then you are the LEGAL father (in thai courts). Getting a divorce does not change this fact.

Under that circumstance to qualify for the support of thai children visa then you would show both the child's birth cert as well as the marriage cert showing that you were married when the kids were born. Of course, every consulate might have slightly different requirements.

Edited by Jayman
  • Like 2

"To be eligible to apply for this type of visa you must also be married to the mother of the child and have an official marriage certificate."

This (unless law has changed in the past few years) affects the female adversely.

"If a Thai woman is married to a foreigner and the marriage is registered in Thailand she will lose a few of her legal rights, and some priveleges regarding land ownership will be restricted. Thai men do not lose any rights if they are marrried to a foreigner..."

"She can still buy a house or land, but the foreign husband will have to sign a declaration at the land office that the money used to purchase the land is all hers. In the case of divorce, or her death, the foreign husband will have no claim on the house or land."

Note: If, for instance the woman is married in the US but the marriage is not registered in Thailand this restriction does not occur.

Further Paiboon states that a will becomes extremely important. "Without a will, if your wife dies before you, her relatives may be legally able to take what they think belongs to her including your house."

Quotes from: Thai Law for Foreigners, Paiboon

• Like 1

"To be eligible to apply for this type of visa you must also be married to the mother of the child and have an official marriage certificate."

This (unless law has changed in the past few years) affects the female adversely.

"If a Thai woman is married to a foreigner and the marriage is registered in Thailand she will lose a few of her legal rights, and some priveleges regarding land ownership will be restricted. Thai men do not lose any rights if they are marrried to a foreigner..."

"She can still buy a house or land, but the foreign husband will have to sign a declaration at the land office that the money used to purchase the land is all hers. In the case of divorce, or her death, the foreign husband will have no claim on the house or land."

Note: If, for instance the woman is married in the US but the marriage is not registered in Thailand this restriction does not occur.

Further Paiboon states that a will becomes extremely important. "Without a will, if your wife dies before you, her relatives may be legally able to take what they think belongs to her including your house."

I'm sorry but I don't see how this effects the women adversely as you claim. The male is the one giving up the rights to property that he is entitled to not the woman.

That's the same impression I got, if you are to interpret the content literally. This would imply that the Thai government no longer recognizes common-law relationships or divorced couples regardless if the father has legally adopted and registered the child. Without the actual legal description of this law it's difficult to determine the implications.

• Like 1

Not true: the mother of a child with German nationality has the right to stay with the child in Germany, because it is the given right to a mother to take care of her child. Even not a language test is needed under this circumstances. When she wants to be with her child in Germany, she don't need to show money, give a proof of return, not need to be married to a German etc. And I can imagine, this is similar at other countries.

We are talking about the father not the mother.

like that makes a difference in regards to someone's right to be with their children.

This is really going to screw up many genuine situations, where the farther can and does look after the child due to the misfit mother doesn't want to or gone off with someone else.

Is this also saying that we don't expect you to support the child as you are not welcome ?

I can see many fathers taking their kids and living abroad.

Or not wanting to and/or being able to stay in Thailand to take care of them. I'm sure they make it soooo easy to remove the children, ALSO without the absent mothers approval. I'm starting to understand better why there are so many orphans. Idiots.

i just re-read this is an embassy visa issuance rule. any confirmation from immigration in Thailand?

A good point. This doesn't affect me but I have had dealings with the embassy and consulate through email and reading their websites. I've discovered that a lot that is on their websites is either wrong or contradictory and they can't read a simple email even after you've sent it more than once.

My best source of imformation is this forum.WPFflags.gif

• Like 1

Won't this rule make the entire concept of 'getting a visa on the basis of having a Thai child' completely redundant?

If you have to be married to get one, then you'd just as easily get a visa on that basis (being married) alone. Or have I missed something?

That is my understanding as well.

I have a an Extension of Stay based on support of a Thai Child. I am married to the child's mother but switched about 4 years ago for various reasons. When I first applied for the extension based on a Thai child there was no financial requirement for this type of extension but the Immigration Office in Korat insisted I showed the same money in the bank as for an extension based on a Thai wife which I did and have done on each subsequent extension.

So in reality I was issued an Extension of Stay based on my Thai child but only by satisfying the rules for an extension based on marriage.

I did my 90 day report last week and was reminded that my Extension of Stay is due for renewal next month. I asked what paperwork was needed and was told same same as last year.

I will post again if I experience any difficulties in getting my extension of stay this time around.

i just re-read this is an embassy visa issuance rule. any confirmation from immigration in Thailand?

Immigration has nothing to do with visa issuance abroad.

They will accept, at the border, any Visa that has been issued? Even if they suspect/know it has been issued incorrectly?

They will accept, at the border, any Visa that has been issued? Even if they suspect/know it has been issued incorrectly?

I'm pretty sure immigration will always honor a visa, they're not really concerned about the circumstances involved in obtaining it; that's not their job.

Edited by TimTang
  • Like 1

I'm pretty sure customs will always honor a visa, they're not really concerned about the circumstances involved in obtaining a visa; that's not their job.

Customs and immigration are 2 very different things. I have never in my life even had customs look at my visa or even my passport.