Recommendations For A Usb Adsl Modem Please

JustAnotherFarang

Hi guys

After perusing the TT&T offer for ADSL internet, I have decided to take the plunge and buy a USB ADSL modem and subscribe to their service on a monthly basis

The modem they provide in the 12 month contract is a rather basic modem without a router whereas I want an adsl modem with router. These are the models I am considering.........

ADSL + Router AZTECH 1,670 bht

ADSL2 + Router ZyXEL 660R 1,840 bht

ADSL+ Router 4 Port SURECOM 2,300 bht

ADSL+ Router 4 Port ZYXEL 2,340 bht

All of these models are available at http://www.jib.co.th/

So has anyone purchased any of these models for a cheaper price within Thailand or does anyone else have a better recommendation for another modem not listed here

Thanks in advance for your help and advice

JAF

I bought the D-Link DSL-500T ASDL Router from Tucom in Pattaya for 1,900 baht and signed up for the TT&T MaxNet4Life 256/128 package (which I pre-paid for 2 months... no contact, no basic modem from TT&T).

It's been working a treat!!!

:o

I bought the D-Link DSL-500T ASDL Router from Tucom in Pattaya for 1,900 baht and signed up for the TT&T MaxNet4Life 256/128 package (which I pre-paid for 2 months... no contact, no basic modem from TT&T).

It's been working a treat!!!

:o

Quickly checking the specs it appears the D-Link DSL-500T ASDL Router is an ADSL and not ADSL 2+ modem......... so the ZyXEL 660R seems a better buy for future proofing I think

Am I right ??

JAF

Edited by JustAnotherFarang

Benefits of a router (using ethernet port)

*your pc is invisible to the internet. the only thing visible is the router.

*Most, if not all, routers have a firewall built in. Extra layer of security.

*With a router, all your ISP account information is stored in the router. No need for dial-up software or drivers, just start your pc and you are connected.

*Future proof. Decide on an extra computer for the wife/children, just plug it in and they're connected. Want wireless? Just plug an access point in the router and you have wireless internet throughout the house/condo.

Only disadvantages might be a slightly higher price, and the extra bit of knowledge you need on port forwarding. Since your pc is invisible on the internet, you'll have to teach the router to forward incoming data to your pc if you want to use for example p2p networking.

Investing in an adsl 2+ modem in Thailand would be utterly useless.

The only thing it does is supporting speeds of up to 25mbps.

I don't see such speeds in Thailand before the year 2020. In Thailand we are currently managing about 15% of the speed capacity of regular adsl. (which supports 8mbps, we can be lucky to get 1mbps internationally)

Simple advice, any adsl router from a decent brand will be a good choice. Hook it up to your pc through a network cable and you'll have a reasonbly easy way of hooking up to the net :o

Bill,

ADSL in Pattaya depends on where you are located. It's still not available everywhere.

Most easy is when you have a TT&T line. (there are two telephone providers, TOT which is government and TT&T which is private)

For getting a line installed count on two weeks. Once you have the line another 10 days to activate ADSL.

Do not take the cheapest packages(e.g. the "home" packages) if you need reliable access.

You'll get decent access at following prices:

256/128 @ 1500 Baht/month

512/256 @ 2500 BAht/month

1024/512 @ 4200 BAht/month

If you go for renting a place, try to find one which already has a phone line starting with 0383 or 0387. These are TT&T lines and this will mean you can have adsl up and running within 10 days provided you are in ADSL coverage. TT&T's coverage is pretty good, not many black spots anymore!

After taking on board the advice of Monty, I am considering buying this particular modem ZYXEL P650H-E1 ADSL+ Router 4 Port for 2,340bht.

From what I can gather it is both an ethernet modem and it is also wireless ready ( I assume I would have to buy an optional extra for that feature or do I just need a wireless card in my laptop and home computers ??).

So how steep is the learning curve. I am hoping the TT&T engineer who I am friendly with is able to initially connect it to my main computer.......but once he has done that, how hard will it be to get this modem downloading from P2P packages ..........and where might I turn to on the internet to learn more about any problems I might encounter

Cheers for your advice

JAF

The Zyxel supports UPnP, so a lot of p2p programs will without you having to do anything!

edonley, limewire will work for sure...

Thanks Monty for pointing me in the right direction and for your advice, nothing worse than buying something and then realising later for a little bit more, I could have all the features I really needed. I shall place my order today and await the delivery of my new adsl ethernet modem

Cheers fella

JAF