> Jump to content

HIV-Positive Bangkok Cabdriver Admits Sexual Assaulting And Robbing Passengers

webfact

HIV-positive cabdriver admits sexual assaulting and robbing passengers

Suparat Iam-tan

The Nation

30176311-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- An HIV-positive taxi driver has been arrested for robbing and raping many of his passengers in Bangkok.

Kaew Sangmuang, 43, claimed he had used condoms every time he had sex because he did not want to spread the deadly virus.

Police yesterday urged victims to come forward and contact Phraya Thai Police Station.

Kaew was arrested on Saturday after he stole a computer notebook from a regular customer and demanded Bt6,000 from a woman to return it. In response to her complaint, police arrested Kaew as soon as he showed up at a superstore in Lat Phrao, where his victim pretended to give him the money.

A search of his cab uncovered national identity cards for nine of his victims and 22 SIM cards.

Cornered by the evidence, Kaew confessed he had raped many passengers aged between 18 and 22 years old. He had also robbed or stolen items from other passengers.

To date, at least seven victims have lodged complaints against him.

"I pretended to have love interest in them and promised to give them some money. Then, I brought them to hotels to have sex after which I would steal their belongings. I also raped some passengers," he said.

Kaew said he sometimes tricked passengers into leaving the cab to help withdraw cash from his bank account via an ATM.

"I promised to wait in the cab. But after they got out, I sped away with their belongings," he said.

Last October, a woman lodged a complaint against Kaew with Lat Phrao Police accusing him of stealing her handbag, with Bt1,000 in cash and a cell-phone in it.

On December 14 last year, another woman lodged a complaint against him with Bang Chan Police accusing him of stealing Bt5,000 in cash, a gold necklace, an iPhone, and her handbag.

On December 26, another victim filed a complaint with Beung Kum Police accusing Kaew of stealing Bt500 in cash, an ATM card, and a cell-phone from her.

Three days later, another victim told Hua Mark Police Kaew stole Bt10,000 in cash, a Blackberry cell-phone, and three passbooks from her. On January 22, another victim complained to Min Buri Police that Kaew stole her Blackberry and Bt5,000 in cash.

And on February 10, two dumb women lodged complaints at Lat Phrao Police saying that he raped and robbed them.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-02-21

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This guy has been known to police since October last year and was allowed to continue driving a taxi? Maybe excusable for the first complaint, but to ignore the rest of them?

The HIV slant just tops it off considering the crimes he is accused of.

• Like 1

And on February 10, two dumb women lodged complaints at Lat Phrao Police saying that he raped and robbed them.

possibly could have been worded better.

Unfortunately, the english skills of the writer are circa 1952. I believe "dumb" was used in respect to a hearing impaired person classified as profoundly deaf, unable to speak in a manner others can understand. Very sad that the term was used, as the inability to hear and speak does not equate with "dumb" as used today.

• Like 2

However, the search of his cab probably did not turn up any condoms. I find it difficult to believe that he would start raping a woman and then excuse himself while he went to the corner pharmacy to purchase condoms.

Money and goods can be recovered and replaced. Ones health cannot. This individual willingly spread a life threatening disease with absolutely no concern for his victims. Even the lowliest prison would be too good for this poor excuse for a human being. Any suggestions as to his punishment?

• Like 2

Unfortunately, the english skills of the writer are circa 1952. I believe "dumb" was used in respect to a hearing impaired person classified as profoundly deaf, unable to speak in a manner others can understand. Very sad that the term was used, as the inability to hear and speak does not equate with "dumb" as used today.

At one time the term "dumb" was used in reference to a bell that had no clapper and was unable to ring. Thus, a silent bell was referred to as a "dumbell". Somehow it started being used to refer to people who were unable to speak and considered to be "silent". Until recently (during the last century) it was never used to refer to ones intelligence level. However, it's use to refer to humans has been seen as politically incorrect for the past few decades.

And who said Thai Visa wasn't educational?

Edited by jaltsc
  • Like 2

This cannot be good for tourism......Tuk tuk drivers in Phuket are generally regarded as pond scum, while in the past taxi drivers in Bangkok were regarded as pretty good, exceptions being a bit of overcharging. This person has now done irreparable harm to their image. The amazing ( miracle ? ) part of this is about complaints in the past, where the police did nothing about him. Too busy manning helmet checkpoints ?? Disgusting.. To my mind the police are responsible for all the attacks after the first one was reported and they did nothing. Why ? Did he pay them off somehow ? Is he a brother red shirt ??

Truly doubt he used condoms. Regular Thai men scarcely use condoms, I cannot believe a taxi driver raping a young girl is going to use one. Especially in light of the fact he already has AIDS. I think he just said that to escape the charge of attempted murder. An interview of the victims will quickly establish if a condom was used.

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

Despite several complaints this trash was still on the loose? Why?

From another thread.rolleyes.gif

Prayuth said there are only some 80,000 police officers in Bangkok and that they already have a heavy workload preventing and dealing with normal crime, so it was thus impossible for the public to depend solely on the police to prevent terrorism.

At one time the term "dumb" was used in reference to a bell that had no clapper and was unable to ring. Thus, a silent bell was referred to as a "dumbell". Somehow it started being used to refer to people who were unable to speak and considered to be "silent". Until recently (during the last century) it was never used to refer to ones intelligence level. However, it's use to refer to humans has been seen as politically incorrect for the past few decades.

And who said Thai Visa wasn't educational?

Could they be just "mute"? rolleyes.gif

I'm guessing that since the latest victim owned a laptop she's the first one who managed to pay the 'investigation fee' to get the cops to do their job.

Nice one !! :-) A little known aspect of Thai " policing", is having to pay them to investigate a crime. Always stuns the farangs when they report their first crime.......

This guy is the highest form of vermin. Previous posters raise the issue of how he could remain on the streets after multiple complaints? Was his bag money enough to buy his perpetual freedom? It's a shame. Give the 22 women a shot at retribution and leave the methodology up to them.

<"Kaew said he sometimes tricked passengers into leaving the cab to help withdraw cash from his bank account via an ATM.

"I promised to wait in the cab. But after they got out, I sped away with their belongings," he said.>

Sounds like the dumb leading the stupid!

• Like 1

<"Kaew said he sometimes tricked passengers into leaving the cab to help withdraw cash from his bank account via an ATM.

"I promised to wait in the cab. But after they got out, I sped away with their belongings," he said.>

Sounds like the dumb leading the stupid!

Another local paper reported that he would tell the women to use an ATM card he had stolen.

Sounds like he was getting more and more brazen. makes you wonder how many women did not report the rapes.

Cornered by the evidence, Kaew confessed he had raped many passengers aged between 18 and 22 years old. He had also robbed or stolen items from other passengers.

and he admitted to the above age range. Why be so specific? To cover the fact that some of the victims were underage, or what? sick.gif

How many lives has this unscrupulous individual ruined? How many has he given a death sentence through his activities? Should he receive anything less than a death sentence? If he has infected multiple women with the disease with which he is infected then he is little more than a serial killer dishing out a slow death to his victims. Tie him to a x-frame and let his victims decide his punishment.

• Like 1

Sounds like he was getting more and more brazen. makes you wonder how many women did not report the rapes.

and he admitted to the above age range. Why be so specific? To cover the fact that some of the victims were underage, or what? sick.gif

I think you are spot on there.

I'm guessing that since the latest victim owned a laptop she's the first one who managed to pay the 'investigation fee' to get the cops to do their job.

Decisions, decisions, pay the police or pay the mafia, what to do, what to do?

• Like 1

I think many missed nurofiend's witty observation!

He observed not about the usage of 'dumb' but the fact that they lodged a complaint "saying". Of course, they can't say anything! ;)

-mel.