An Idiots Guide to the Retirement Extension process at Samui Immigration Office

Mine took three or four days when I last did it in January, so it looks like it is taking longer and longer.

A pain if you do need to travel for any reason around the time of renewal.

Mind you, I did my 90 day report yesterday, and was in and out iin five minutes.

For both extensions. 

"Documents for notification of the residence of foreigners" is the TM30. 

TM30 is supposed to be filed by the housemaster within 24 hours after arrival from abroad or face a fine. 

Samui immigration has been leniant so far with the fines, if your landlord has not filed it you will have to to get it done. 

You need to have a receipt stamped into your passport. 

Thank you Eva for this helpfull update guide...

Does anyone apply recently for a retirement extension of stay using the 800k bath deposit method in Samui Immigration ? 

If yes, did they wanted seasoning period "2 months before and 3 months after" according to the new rule (Samui Check List Section 5.1) OR "3months before and 3 months after" ?

Thank you for your testimony...

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, NickNick said:

She also said to me "Mister when you come for 90-day report, now you bring statement and letter from bank."

Ouch, one hour and 200 baht at the bank. 

I see many going for marriage extension now. 

On 6/17/2019 at 10:35 AM, NickNick said:

There are now two versions of the TM7 form.

Wow, I've never ever used a TM7 form at Samui immigration. I have a small permanent sticker on my passport with my address, and that has worked for years until two month ago.

Its the same with extension of stay application, the form you can pick up won't work for application for annual extension. You need an identical form, but with a line for E-mail address at top. And its not enough to write the E-mail address on top on a filled out form, it has to be remade on another identical form, however with a dotted line for E-mail address...????

You would think home-prepared documents are easier to read and more presentable but as usual common sense goes out of the window leaving many wondering why they bother...

Edited by evadgib

1 hour ago, khunPer said:

Wow, I've never ever used a TM7 form at Samui immigration. I have a small permanent sticker on my passport with my address, and that has worked for years until two month ago.

Its the same with extension of stay application, the form you can pick up won't work for application for annual extension. You need an identical form, but with a line for E-mail address at top. And its not enough to write the E-mail address on top on a filled out form, it has to be remade on another identical form, however with a dotted line for E-mail address...????

The TM7 is the application form for extension of stay. 

The sticker in your passport is in liue for the TM47 form for 90-day reporting. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

The TM7 is the application form for extension of stay. 

The sticker in your passport is in liue for the TM47 form for 90-day reporting. 

Thanks, I shall remember to drink more coffee – and read and understand the posts clearly – before I comment...????

• Haha 2

On 5/22/2019 at 6:18 PM, PETERHOF said:

Thank you Eva for this helpfull update guide...

Does anyone apply recently for a retirement extension of stay using the 800k bath deposit method in Samui Immigration ? 

If yes, did they wanted seasoning period "2 months before and 3 months after" according to the new rule (Samui Check List Section 5.1) OR "3months before and 3 months after" ?

Thank you for your testimony...

They accepted the 2 months deposit and didn't mention the fact that the money has to stay in the bank for 3 months after. No doubt they will check when we do our 90 day reporting.

• Thanks 1

On 6/25/2019 at 8:03 AM, delgarcon said:

They accepted the 2 months deposit and didn't mention the fact that the money has to stay in the bank for 3 months after. No doubt they will check when we do our 90 day reporting.

Thank you very much for your helpful answer !

On 6/17/2019 at 3:35 PM, NickNick said:

She also said to me "Mister when you come for 90-day report, now you bring statement and letter from bank."

Did a 90 day report today, was not asked for bank statement and neither told to bring such for next report.

From Crazykopite

Hi Guys last week 18 June I travelled over to Koh Samui along with the wife to do our yearly extension of stay . We used the bank method as the BE no longer do the letter of income. We travelled over from Koh Phangan on the Raja cost of ferry including car 1,300 baht return . Samui have issued a single sheet of requirement which I will 

OST for all to see . We arrived at 13.00 hrs very quiet maybe 15 of us with 20+ staff handed all documents as per the instruction in and given number the girl told us it would be an hour before being called back , sure enough one hour later our number is called and we are asked to pay for the 2 extension of stays + re entry stamps paid up as asked no receipt given and told to come back on Monday 24 June ask if I can come back alone not possible we have to come back together . Monday 24th June back on the Ferry another 1,300 baht arrive Samui IM at 1300 hrs only to find that they now have a new system , you now have to queue in a line to collect a number ,take a seat and wait to be called when I got to the front I presented my ticket number from the week before she told us to sit down and we would be called , 5 minutes later  our number called and after a pic was taken at the desk we had our new extension of stay . Nobody mentioned about bringing a letter or bankbook back when we do the 90 day report so I will go get a update in my bankbook . All in all everything went fine and the staff were very pleasant my only issue is having to go twice within a 7 day period this happened last year as well but it becomes expensive when you live on a neighbouring island even on the 90 day report Samui doesn’t allow on line reporting which is annoying 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

On 6/26/2019 at 9:42 AM, lom said:

Did a 90 day report today, was not asked for bank statement and neither told to bring such for next report.

If your extension of stay was granted before the change of deposit method, you are only due to follow the new rules from next time you extend your stay; i.e. might be asked to show bank statement when doing 90-day reports.

However, it's still a bit confusing how to imply the check of deposit balance, as like no general rule yet – according to has been mentioned in threads from other immigrations – so procedure might change.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/27/2019 at 3:46 PM, khunPer said:

However, it's still a bit confusing how to imply the check of deposit balance, as like no general rule yet – according to has been mentioned in threads from other immigrations – so procedure might change.

I just did my retirement extension a couple of days ago, I was asked to bring a statement from the bank when doing my next 90 report, I did ask if I could just bring the bank book, nope, statement from bank required.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Posted by @GalaxyMan in the visa section.

Just back from my 90-day reporting at Koh Samui Immigration. They now require the same bank statement paperwork which is necessary for the annual extension for the 90-day reporting. As ever, the ladies that work there were smiling, friendly, and helpful; just doing their jobs.

Just did my 90 day report, first in-person since my renewal, and in and out in 30 minutes. No need for anything else than your passport. They have changed the configuration since my last visit and require to get a number at Desk#1 for the queue. No longer no lines waiting for next IO.

11 hours ago, hoxman said:

Just did my 90 day report, first in-person since my renewal, and in and out in 30 minutes. No need for anything else than your passport. They have changed the configuration since my last visit and require to get a number at Desk#1 for the queue. No longer no lines waiting for next IO.

Did you last renewal was done after 1st march 2019 with using the 800k thb deposit in bank method ?

7 hours ago, PETERHOF said:

Did you last renewal was done after 1st march 2019 with using the 800k thb deposit in bank method ?

No, used Income letter and bank statements later in March 2019.

Edited by hoxman

• 1 month later...

Today, I went to Samui Immigration for my first 90 report after my last retirement extension of stay based on 800k bank deposit method was granted in july.

The lady IO asked me for "Bank Document". So, I showed her only my update bankbook and it was enough...She did'nt required any bank letter and last 3 months statement.

She told me that for next 90 report I'll need to show again my update bankook.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Did my yearly extension a few days before end of December.

I had no problem extending for another year without any proof of a filed TM30.

They didn't even want my missus to file one when we asked about it, they pointed to the 90 day report slip in my passport and said that it was good enough.

Copy of Housebook + missus id card worked as a substitute for rental contract (no we don't have a rental contract between us, I don't rent from her ???? ).

No one told me to bring bank book or bank statement when I do the next 90 day reporting but I guess I'd better bring the bank book then, just in case.

Edited by lom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did my retirement visa extension today .

Needed to fill out the latest TM7 form although it seemed exactly the same to last years . Also required to sign another form which they had on hand .

As well as all the documents required last year , I have to provide a copy of the Chanode where my house is . I was told this can be given at the time of picking up passport .

The process is a lot slower especially if you get in a queue . Checking all the documents are correct for every person takes about 20 minutes , even if they are all correct . So if you have a few people ahead you could be waiting for an hour or so .

They also checked the location of my house on google maps and asked me to pinpoint it and took a photo as well as requiring the normal map drawings etc . 

I asked why it seemed so much more complicated this year and the lady said there was a new immigration chief in Chiang Mai who was asking for more details .

I am seriously considering the 20 Year Elite Visa for next year .. The amounts required as bank deposits may be raised in coming years and  perhaps  Health insurance needed or other new requirements for retirement extension . .

Costs 1M but no health insurance needed , no bank deposits needed , fast track at immigration , easy driving license renewal and other benefits .

Comparison for those interested .

In Koh Samui they do not do 90 days reporting but that takes very little time anyway . 

Retirement visa

Thai Elite

Validity

1 year

5-10-20 years

90 days'

must be done in person

done by Thai Elite

800,000 THB requirement per year

Yes

No

Private Medical Insurance

Mandatory

Not mandatory

Agent fees to renew visa

30,000 / 40,000 THB per year

No

Government Fees to renew visa

approx. 6,000 THB per year

No 

Fast track lane at Immigration

No

Yes

Lounges at airport

No

Yes

Airport limousine

No

Included in some options

THB bank account

Yes

Yes

USD/EUR/RMB/JPY bank account

No

Yes

Driving license

need to take the exam

no need to retake the exam

Concierge services

No

Yes

Health Check-up

No

Included in some options

Tax Number 

No

Available

Edited by churchill

3 hours ago, churchill said:

I did my retirement visa extension today .

Needed to fill out the latest TM7 form although it seemed exactly the same to last years . Also required to sign another form which they had on hand .

As well as all the documents required last year , I have to provide a copy of the Chanode where my house is . I was told this can be given at the time of picking up passport .

The process is a lot slower especially if you get in a queue . Checking all the documents are correct for every person takes about 20 minutes , even if they are all correct . So if you have a few people ahead you could be waiting for an hour or so .

They also checked the location of my house on google maps and asked me to pinpoint it and took a photo as well as requiring the normal map drawings etc . 

I asked why it seemed so much more complicated this year and the lady said there was a new immigration chief in Chiang Mai who was asking for more details .

I am seriously considering the 20 Year Elite Visa for next year .. The amounts required as bank deposits may be raised in coming years and  perhaps  Health insurance needed or other new requirements for retirement extension . .

Costs 1M but no health insurance needed , no bank deposits needed , fast track at immigration , easy driving license renewal and other benefits .

Comparison for those interested .

In Koh Samui they do not do 90 days reporting but that takes very little time anyway . 

Retirement visa

Thai Elite

Validity

1 year

5-10-20 years

90 days'

must be done in person

done by Thai Elite

800,000 THB requirement per year

Yes

No

Private Medical Insurance

Mandatory

Not mandatory

Agent fees to renew visa

30,000 / 40,000 THB per year

No

Government Fees to renew visa

approx. 6,000 THB per year

No 

Fast track lane at Immigration

No

Yes

Lounges at airport

No

Yes

Airport limousine

No

Included in some options

THB bank account

Yes

Yes

USD/EUR/RMB/JPY bank account

No

Yes

Driving license

need to take the exam

no need to retake the exam

Concierge services

No

Yes

Health Check-up

No

Included in some options

Tax Number 

No

Available

Spare a thought for those that can't afford it (If too many do it everyone else will have to!) & what guarantees are there for the next 19 years once they've had your THB 1M?

@churchill

Your comparison list is so wrong for extension of stay based on retirement. 

#2, 90 days reporting can be done by proxy. 

#4, medical insurance is not mandatory if on original O visa

#5, why should you pay an agent

#6, fee is 1900 baht

#11, no problem getting a foreign currency account 

#12, no need to take exam if you have DL

#15, you can get a tax number if you want to pay taxes. 

When they have raised the amount required in bank before, they have grandfathered people whom been on extension so their requirements have not raised. 

You will lose that if you go to elite. 

What makes you think that you get easier driving license renewal? 

If you want immigration fast track at airport it's available for 1000 baht. 

Also with the Elite, you have to leave Thailand once per year.

It's a multiple entry visa that gives you 1 year permission to stay but valid for 5 years. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, evadgib said:

Spare a thought for those that can't afford it (If too many do it everyone else will have to!) & what guarantees are there for the next 19 years once they've had your THB 1M?

It's 2M baht for the 20 year visa that you still have to renew every 5yrs. 

Still it only gives you one year permission to stay. 

Ohh, don't forget the 20.000 baht in annual fee. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

@churchill

Your comparison list is so wrong for extension of stay based on retirement. 

#2, 90 days reporting can be done by proxy. 

#4, medical insurance is not mandatory if on original O visa

#5, why should you pay an agent

#6, fee is 1900 baht

#11, no problem getting a foreign currency account 

#12, no need to take exam if you have DL

#15, you can get a tax number if you want to pay taxes. 

When they have raised the amount required in bank before, they have grandfathered people whom been on extension so their requirements have not raised. 

You will lose that if you go to elite. 

What makes you think that you get easier driving license renewal? 

If you want immigration fast track at airport it's available for 1000 baht. 

Also with the Elite, you have to leave Thailand once per year. 

It's a multiple entry visa that gives you 1 year permission to stay but valid for 5+ years. 

Yes agreed .. The comparison was supplied by Elite Visa .. Obviously they are highlighting the benefits . 

I raised driving license with them as I  have recently renewed mine with the required eye tests etc and was told that with an Elite Visa no tests were necessary for further renewal .

I am looking at 1M one off fee ( for the 20 year visa ) vs 800,000 Baht ( or more ) in an account for 20 years .

As you say the 800,000 may not be increased and Health insurance may not be required but each year they seem to want to tighten the screws with some new regulation or documentation. 

and 5 year visa is cheaper I think .

35 minutes ago, PoorSucker said:

It's 2M baht for the 20 year visa that you still have to renew every 5yrs. 

Still it only gives you one year permission to stay. 

Ohh, don't forget the 20.000 baht in annual fee. 

No this is the information I got , and no annual fee ( I believe ) 

To sum-up the different options, for you, there is:

• The 5 years’ visa option at 500,000 THB coming with 24 complimentary airport pick-up and drop off (on international flights)
  • The 10 years’ visa option at 1,000,000 THB coming with 18 complimentary airport pick-up and drop off (on international flights) + 1 annual check-up per year
  • The 10 years’ visa option at 800,000 THB (no complimentary airport rides and no annual check-up)
  • The 20 years’ visa option at 1,000,000 THB (no complimentary airport rides and no annual check-up)
  • The 20 years’ visa option at 2,000,000 THB coming with unlimited complimentary airport pick-up and drop off (on international flights) + 1 annual check-up per year + 24 spa + 24 golf uses in selected locations
Edited by churchill