Foreign Diplomats To Meet With Thai Tourism Minister To Find Solutions To Tourist Scams

webfact

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why is it the foreign diplomats have to take up this issue?

I would think that the Thais in the tourism industry should be concerned too but apparently not.

Why?

Do they have no respect for their guests?

Do they know it's hopeless and try to cover it up?

I think it is a case of everybody gaining "Face"; the foreign diplomats are looking after their country's visitors and TAT showing concern.

But, did the foreign diplomats demand the meeting or were they invited to attend?

things like jetski's are an easy one to avoid, it's not going to ruin your holiday if you don't have a jetski ride but some of the other issues are things that are difficult to avoid and are integrated to your stay in Thailand like transportation and attraction rip offs, as for the jetski issue - as of now it has been seemingly unstoppable both is Pattaya and Phuket - solution - The TAT need to totally ban them from all beaches in the country, nobody will miss them in fact they are noisy and dangerous I personally would love to see the back of them, that would be a good first step by this group - remove some scum scamers who ruin holidays for manay tourists on a daily basis

Since we're talking Phuket...... automatic execution for tuktuk drivers who suddenly announce the fare was per-person?

Or how about next time they blockade a US warship in port...... let the marines deal with them.......

Ooh - Rahh Semper Fi

Suggestion #1: Offer a decent wage to police who actually do their job properly...

And how exactly are they to determine who is 'doing their job properly'?

They know very well who the bad apples are and should (1) get ride of them and (2) stop the practice of the police force being able to buy their way to the top.

None of this will happen.

Edited by silsburyhill

Don't hold ur breath for change in LOS,It will NEVER NEVER NEVER happen,hundreds of years of this way of life is here to stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Vote with ur feet & wallet,tell everyone u know to keep away & more WWW exposure of scamming & murder in LOS released to overseas media will help a little,but FACE is everything.wai.gifgiggle.gifpassifier.gif

Whilst I agree, up to a point, I was just talking to a friend re this thread and told him that when I first visited Kao Lak many years ago, before it's 'development', the people were genuinely friendly and we were treated well, no scams/overpricing, and mentioned this to a Thai neighbour on my return to Phuket. She looked cynical and said 'Yes, they are now, but wait until they start building the big hotels/resorts, same Phuket'. My point being that this 'culture of greed' is not endemic.

I believe this oft touted 'face' thing to be a great 'get out' clause and total bullshit and do wish people (farang) stop trumpeting it as an excuse for simple bad behaviour. As another neighbour said 'Is that all they got?'

Edited by silsburyhill

Since we're talking Phuket...... automatic execution for tuktuk drivers who suddenly announce the fare was per-person?

Or how about next time they blockade a US warship in port...... let the marines deal with them.......

Ooh - Rahh Semper Fi

In case anyone missed the reference - it was from June 2010

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/374740-tuk-tuks-blockade-us-military-in-phuket/

Essentially the US military put on free buses for the sailors, so the Tuk-tuk drivers blockaded the port as they normally charged the sailors 2000thb for the trip to patong....

....Meanwhile, the Tourism and Sports Ministry will be blacklisting jewelry shops which sell low-quality items at inflated prices. The names of those shops will be put on the website of the Ministry of Tourism and Sports as well as that of the Department of Tourism. The Tourism Authority of Thailand has also been instructed to inform its overseas offices regarding this issue....

Just had quick look at the Tourism Authority of Thailand website to see what they say about Phuket. It's listed under 'Top Destinations'. Here's a snippet from 'Where to Go' with background information on Phuket.

When the city was in a peaceful state, the development of mining was so unprecedented. Chinese businessmen and miners later migrated to Phuket and soon enjoy thriving weath.

These will be the same dipomats that Surapong pleaded with to remove the travel advisories because Thailand was "safe" just before the bombs went off.

When they have new advisories due to dangers, scams etc. I am sure he will understand

What a joke! Hellooooooo....it's not just Phuket, it's Bangkok, it's Chiang Mai...everywhere tourists go. How long have these rip-offs been happening...for years!!!! What a joke!!

You must live in Pattaya, conspicuously absent from your rant.

Pattaya should have been added to the list. In fact all of Thailand should be added to the list. That is not a rant it's just the plain simple truth. Tourist scams happen all over Thailand NOT just in one province.

Tourist scams happen Worldwide. Taxis at Heathrow for starters. However if there were a scamming league table Thailand would be tops.