New To Chiang Mai

NinjaNick

Hey folks! I'm a 20 year old canadian student. I'm moving to Chiang Mai in 7 weeks (just in time for songkran ^^) and I'll be studying a masters degree at Payap.

I Spent 5 months living in Nan province last year but didn't really spend any time in Chiang Mai...

What should I expect! seems like a decent place to live...

nice to meet you all.. I have a feeling this forum is going to be of great use and will acquaint me with many new friends while I begin my life abroad haha.

Nick

I hear you, I am moving back to Chiang Mai, but I am liquidating everything. My cars, a piano, all the exercise equipment, videogame systems/electronics etc etc.

I am hoping my parents could keep my bedroom set just in case I move back. But selling the mustang really hurt since I know I won't have another in Chiang Mai >_<

I dont mean to be a party pooper but a Masters in Thailand is not worth a Masters in the west and may not be recognized. Sorry to add a spoonful of realism - im probably going to be flamed but its the truth - doctors and nurses cannot practice in the west without additional exams ec. Apart from that Chiang Mai is great and welcome! (sorry)

• Like 2

haha @binjalin you're probably right! But there is nothing for me in Canada... All my family members are retired and will be moving back to Ireland. I also have no interest in teaching in the west.... So I doubt i will return for quite some time. In the end a job is a job. As long as I can pay the bills and enjoy life's simple pleasures I will be content. After my masters degree I will start my PhD. Most likely in Bkk... We will see where that leads. One day at a time right? ^-^

haha @binjalin you're probably right! But there is nothing for me in Canada... All my family members are retired and will be moving back to Ireland. I also have no interest in teaching in the west.... So I doubt i will return for quite some time. In the end a job is a job. As long as I can pay the bills and enjoy life's simple pleasures I will be content. After my masters degree I will start my PhD. Most likely in Bkk... We will see where that leads. One day at a time right? ^-^

Yea go for it! Just be aware back in 'farangland' you might get a career 'issue' if you try to use it and one day you might want to supplement it with a PhD from a western Uni. Anyway have fun and welcome to Chiang Mai.

• Like 1

I know how you feel... I spent 2 years restoring a gorgeous ranger bass boat back to perfect conditions... had to sell it in order to move back here... had to be done ^-^

If you enjoy bass chasing, you'd enjoy the year round giant Snakehead and Jungle Perch Fishing in the Chiang Mai region! A ranger, would harbor a guess that your from the right side of Canada eh?

Several friends kids attend Payap, and they have a great time - you likely will too.

Wanna show me where to go for those snakeheads and perch? I'm guessing any of the rivers/tributaries tongue.png

As for Canada... I'm from good ol Thunder Bay Ontario... ^-^ So many lakes.. its fantastic. Will miss it for sure smile.png

There are so many lakes and reservoirs in the north, many holding Snakeheads and Jungle perch! Not being on my computer with access my pics with fish, a simple Google image search of Mr Forbes leads to good examples of these fish. Local's, on there long boats, on Mae Ngat will take you out for a half days casting for 500 baht.

Giant Snakehead, a strong and smart fish, can get huge but the monsters are notoriously hard to catch - you see em' but you can't get them to strike. Or they do strike, but fail to hook up even after putting a hard bite on a plug with 2 sharp trebles. Even a 2 kilo G Snakehead on a fly rod is super strong, and very bass like.

fly_caught_snakehead_1_Em.sized.jpg

Jungle Perch are plentiful, and can be found in still and flowing waters. Also at some dam out flows you can find jungle perch in good numbers, though if there is easy access the locals put quite a bit of pressure on the stock. Their bite seems to turn on and off, first light seems the best, but some can put up a nice fight. Tasty eating too.

Ian_with_jungle_perch_1_Em.sized.jpg

DSC_0337.JPG

Cheers

Edit - found a good article by fisherman I had the pleasure to fish with - http://chinaflyfisherman.wordpress.com/tag/snake-head-fishing/

Edited by Fishenough

Excellent!! I won't be bringing my fly rod with me but I'll pick one up when i'm there. What weight would you recommend? about a 7/8? The snakehead kind of sounds like The Musky we have up here...

Can't wait to get fishin!!!

@LazyYogi.... We'll just have to see I guess... I love a good challenge hahaha

Fishenough this may sound strange, but did you by chance happen to put a large black and white picture of your face in Spotlight and in the toilets at Lotus?wai.gif

If anybodies face I thought that they wouldn't mind me posting their picture here, it was our own Ian Forbes. When I saw that same face in a ladies bathroom at a select bar last year, the same fish face I saw gracing a how-to fishing book in my local fishing store many decades ago, it was truly worth a good laugh! giggle.gifclap2.gif

NinjaNick, a 7/8 wt would be a good choice given the size of the streamers and poppers you have to chuck.

I dont mean to be a party pooper but a Masters in Thailand is not worth a Masters in the west and may not be recognized. Sorry to add a spoonful of realism - im probably going to be flamed but its the truth - doctors and nurses cannot practice in the west without additional exams ec. Apart from that Chiang Mai is great and welcome! (sorry)

That sort of blanket statement is quite unfair.

Here's why. Many Thai universities have exchange programs with 'big brand' universities across the world in: USA, Canada, UK, many European countries, Singapore, Australia, and more. Both for bachelor and masters programs.

Bottom line, the 'big brand' names carefully check and recheck the 'quality' of all universities that they share exchange programs with across the world.

They want to be convinced that their own US / French / Italian or whatever students will experience quality education in Thailand, and they also assess whether the typical Thai student can study successfully in their institute abroad.

If the answer was NO, in either direction, then the exchange program would not exist.

A slightly different example: Last year one of my Thai graduating MBA students was accepted into the MBA program at the London School of Economics.

In regard to Payap I don't know what exchange programs they have, but obviously they accept foreign students.

As I said at the opening, blanket negative comment about Thai universities is unfair. However It's also true that specific universities (anywhere) are weak on some subjects but excellent at other subjects, and I'm aware that Payap is excellent for music.

The example of doctors is misleading, qualified medical doctors from any country in the world have to pass a Thai exam before they can practice medicine in Thailand and this is a common practice in many countries.

CM is a great place to live, people are friendly and helpful, lots of variety with food, and a great location for interesting travel (when you have time), and in my experience compared to other areas of Thailand, there is more English spoken by the locals.

Enjoy your stay and good luck with your studies.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

That sort of blanket statement is quite unfair.

Here's why. Many Thai universities have exchange programs with 'big brand' universities across the world in: USA, Canada, UK, many European countries, Singapore, Australia, and more. Both for bachelor and masters programs.

Bottom line, the 'big brand' names carefully check and recheck the 'quality' of all universities that they share exchange programs with across the world.

<snip>

The example of doctors is misleading, qualified medical doctors from any country in the world have to pass a Thai exam before they can practice medicine in Thailand and this is a common practice in many countries.

Thanks, saved me the trouble of typing this up. thumbsup.gif

Enjoy your stay here Nick, but perhaps rethink Payap. It is ranked 38th amongst Thai universities and no Thai university is ranked in the top 200 of worldwide universities. Lots of cute girls there though but you can access them from whichever school you attend. Maybe consider the International Program at Chiang Mai University instead.

Enjoy your stay here Nick, but perhaps rethink Payap. It is ranked 38th amongst Thai universities and no Thai university is ranked in the top 200 of worldwide universities. Lots of cute girls there though but you can access them from whichever school you attend. Maybe consider the International Program at Chiang Mai University instead.

Again, this is based from a musical perspective. Although it might not have a high ranking, The music program there is excellent and the teachers (who i have researched and had the pleasure of meeting) are very knowledgeable and have studied at some of the top universities in the world.

In the end it doesn't really matter to me. My goal is just to remain in Thailand and teach there and also obtain a phD. Seeing as my masters degree will focus on the various populations of south east asia, chiang mai is a good hub for me to work out of...

I'm also finishing up a degree in herpetology= more job oppurtunities (from what i have witnessed so far Thai people aren't exactly very fond of reptiles :P)

I'm also good with DIY, I have my tesl certificate and I'm a jazz pianist. HOPEFULLY... I have enough skills to get me through haha

• Like 1

Hi NinjaNick,

Welcome to Payap University. People who don't know much about the university systems in Thailand are usually the first ones to talk bad about it.

Payap's music program is one of the best in Asia. The people at the Payap's Duriyasilp Music College are true artist. Most of the students you can find playing all over Chiang Mai all week long. The students are friendly the support from the teachers is outstanding. I think you made an excellent choice in choosing Payap.

As was mentioned earlier, the degree you earn at Payap is recognized all over the world. Even if you went to Harvard with a masters degree from Payap, you would still be able to study for your PhD as long as you met their other entry requirements. That's because the music program at Payap University is accredited by the Thai Ministry of Education.

If you have any questions about study at Payap or the music college please feel free to ask. I work in the Admissions and Marketing Department at Payap and my wife also teaches at the music college.

You're going to love Chiang Mai!clap2.gif

yeah seriously...unless your marks are shit and you can't get into a master program in Canada. It seems like a really stupid idea to waste your time doing it here. Not that i have anything against coming and living here or doing schooling here. But if your getting your masters i assume it's cause you take pride in that kind of thing and want to use it to get a higher paying job. Canada has some of the best masters programs in the world...that are recognized around the world. a thai masters isn't going to be recognized anywhere. Students from thailand/sing/vietnam etc don't go to canada to do their masters because it's to hard to get in.....so they settle for an easy entrance to the program...but also a usless degree anywhere outside of SE Asia

Edited by limegreenpatato