Refused Visitor Visa For Partner

What have we done wrong? My long standing partner applied for a 10 day visitors visa, she has today been informed that the application has been refused, the grounds being=

Although you have stated that you and your sponsor are living together in Thailand, I note that you have provided very little evedence of your relationship. I note, in particular, that you have not provided a supporting letter from your partner- or any evidence of his residency in Thailand.

I have taken the fact that you and your sponsor have a child together(born in Thai 2008) However, in the absense of any further evidense,I am

not satisfied that you have provided a full and clear account of your relationship or your current circumstances in Thailand. This leads me to question your reasons for wishing to travel to the UK and your intentions. Paragraph 41(i) and (ii).

I have therefore refused your application because I am not satisfied, on the balace of probabilities,that you meet all of the requirements of the

relevant Paragraph of the United K ingdom Immigration Rules.

So what information did she supply=

copy of the blue house book for her and our child.

copy of my yellow house book for the same address.

copies of the pages of our passports,showing that we have visited other countries in the region together.

photo's of me and her family over the years,including wedding photo's with date stamps.

copy of birth certificate for child.

copy of her bank book showing 500,000 baht(stating she has had this amount for over 8months)

copy of my Thai bank book showing 11,000,000 baht

copy of her Thai visa card.

name and address of friends we would have been staying with,along with photo showing them together with us when they visited

Thailand last year.

list of people,addresses,telephone No's who will be attending my military reunion(the main reason for the visit)

And just in case anybody thinks- she has never worked in a bar or even been in a bar.never worked in a similar occupation.

So where did we go wrong.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey buddy thats disheartning to hear ,i today am about to lodge a similiar visa for my GF

looks like i need to look back over my paperwork ,we are not married ,thus i dont have a yellow book ,and we only together a year umm

i have never given her finacial support apart from paying the bills ,plus i dont have 11 million baht in an account ,time for a agent i feel

good luck

There seems to be no proof that she works or owns anything, they must think she is gonna do a runner.

I just did two applications for my wife and MIL and both were accepted okay, I just gave them the basics, sorry that it did not happen for you.

Military reunion? Never been to a corps one, but Regimental ones.

I note, in particular, that you have not provided a supporting letter from your partner.

When asked to sponsor someone's application, I normally write a letter requesting the visa, and explaining what I have attached by way of evidence, and how it contributes to the overall case, tracing it back to the original requirements specified in the Immigration Authority's documents.

SC

There seems to be no proof that she works or owns anything, they must think she is gonna do a runner.

I just did two applications for my wife and MIL and both were accepted okay, I just gave them the basics, sorry that it did not happen for you.

Military reunion? Never been to a corps one, but Regimental ones.

She does not go out to work,she stays at home looking after the child. She does own something 500,000 baht in the bank,

Plus we stated that our child would be remaining in Thailand while we visited the uk.

my partener also has a second child who will be staying in Thailand we were advised to include the grandmother in the applicatio9n ie house book and id card and that the older kid would remain with the grandmother while we are on holiday ,in a letter written by the mum and then translated into english ,mabye that was the concern !

The main problem these days is that THe labour govt allowed all and sundry into the UK from the hell holes of the world ,now that the conservatives are back in power they must show that they are "curbing" immegration ,they are not ,but if they pick on the easy targets like your partner they soon mount up ,so as was the case last time they were in charge thousands of "decent" tourists ect get stopped ,while the flotsam and jetson of the world get in ,still who cares as long as they can "seem" to be stopping people coming in ,all the best in the future.

• Like 1

I note, in particular, that you have not provided a supporting letter from your partner.

When asked to sponsor someone's application, I normally write a letter requesting the visa, and explaining what I have attached by way of evidence, and how it contributes to the overall case, tracing it back to the original requirements specified in the Immigration Authority's documents.

SC

I filled out the on-lane application form for her, in at least 1 of the sections I stated that her partner(me) would be going with her

and paying for everything. and just to show that she would not arrive destitute in the UK , we provided a copy of her Thai bank book(500,000 thai baht) approx 11,000 pounds.

plus copy of her visa credit card

They've already told you the key thing they require and that you failed to provide - a supporting letter from you.

How much more explicit can they be?

I suppose the OP assumed that the on-line text that he provided satisfied that requirement.

My advice would be to re-submit, with the required information, with a letter politely explaining and itemising all the accompanying evidence.

It is inconvenient to be knocked back, though. I must admit that the covering letter, which I would include as a matter of course, was not on the list of evidence required (if I recall correctly) last time I had to support a visa application

SC

Although you have stated that you and your sponsor are living together in Thailand, I note that you have provided very little evedence of your relationship. I note, in particular, that you have not provided a supporting letter from your partner- or any evidence of his residency in Thailand.

I have taken the fact that you and your sponsor have a child together (born in Thai 2008) However, in the absense of any further evidence, I am not satisfied that you have provided a full and clear account of your relationship or your current circumstances in Thailand. This leads me to question your reasons for wishing to travel to the UK and your intentions. Paragraph 41(i) and (ii).

Correct: Can your partner provide a bank statement showing wages being paid in and monies going out for living expenses, at least 6 months? Perhaps with back up wage slips and tax payments if she is working? If not working, proof of how she has been supporting herself and the child over the last 6 months?

If you and your partner have a child together, why are you not married? Can you prove that you are the father of the child? Also what are you doing in Thailand? How do you support yourself? Are you here and your activities here, legal under Thai law? What type of visa do you have?

Copy of my Thai bank book showing 11,000,000 baht.

Copy of her bank book showing 500,000 baht (stating she has had this amount for over 8 months)

Do you have proof of how these monies were obtained and how you and your partner accrued these amounts?

Name and address of friends we would have been staying with, along with photo showing them together with us when they visited Thailand last year.

Have the said friends submitted a written statement to verify the above?

Copy of her Thai visa card.

Does this mean credit card? Or she is not Thai, or do you mean, her Thai ID card?

I have therefore refused your application because I am not satisfied, on the balan ce of probabilities,that you meet all of the requirements of the

relevant Paragraph of the United Kingdom Immigration Rules.

Correct decision. Where did you go wrong? As I have pointed out above.

They've already told you the key thing they require and that you failed to provide - a supporting letter from you.

so I could have been down to my last Baht, but if I wrote them a letter saying I would support her, everything would have been O.K

I sent them a copy of my Thai bank statement showing 11,000,000 baht, copy of her Thai bank statement showing 500,000 baht,

copy of her visa credit card. but this not O.K.

In their first paragraph they also stated she failed to provide evidence of my residency in Thailand.What more did they want ?, in addition to what we had allready supplied.

I suppose there will be plenty of snake-heads following this thread, thinking "Yes, I should supply this or that piece of evidence".

Anyway, here's a bit of idle speculation in jest.

Maybe the OP is an aged British person, and its just that they are worried he might be tempted to stay, and they don't want him coming back and sponging off the NHS, and getting an inflation-adjusted pension and so forth. But they can't block him... so they block his girlfriend / neice that he's proposing to travel with...

SC

so I could have been down to my last Baht, but if I wrote them a letter saying I would support her, everything would have been O.K

I sent them a copy of my Thai bank statement showing 11,000,000 baht, copy of her Thai bank statement showing 500,000 baht,

copy of her visa credit card. but this not O.K.

In their first paragraph they also stated she failed to provide evidence of my residency in Thailand.What more did they want ?, in addition to what we had allready supplied.

I think they wanted a letter saying

"Please issue a visa for my neice Ms X who will be accompanying me on a short family holiday to the UK. I will be supporting her throughout - I enclose a copy of my bank book showing that I am indeed a very wealthy man.

Ms X and I have lived together for many years in a sordid out-of-wedlock relationship for several years; I enclose photos of us gatecrashing various parties together over the last few years, and a copy of the blue and yellow house-books which show us co-resident since whatever date it says. I myself am resident in Thailand and have been since whenever; I enclose a copy of my residents' visa in Thailand,

We have travelled to numerous countries far more attractive than yours together, without either of us becoming lost and overstaying; I attach copies of our passports showing consistent coincidental dates for visits to wherever."

Sometimes, the immigration officer will come back and say "I need more proof of address - do you have a utility bill", for example, and generally they will be fairly flexible in this "Sorry, we're not on mains electric or water: Would a court summons do instead?"; then the office rcan show he's done his due dilligence and not let you go through unquestioned.

Of course, it could also be that your girlfriend is a secret agent who is known to the authorities, but they are reticent to tell you this. One of our candidates was refused a visa "for personal reasons" but the authority would not disclose more, out of respect for their privacy.

SC

I have taken the fact that you and your sponsor have a child together (born in Thai 2008) However, in the absense of any further evidence, I am not satisfied that you have provided a full and clear account of your relationship or your current circumstances in Thailand. This leads me to question your reasons for wishing to travel to the UK and your intentions. Paragraph 41(i) and (ii).

Correct: Can your partner provide a bank statement showing wages being paid in and monies going out for living expenses, at least 6 months? Perhaps with back up wage slips and tax payments if she is working? If not working, proof of how she has been supporting herself and the child over the last 6 months?

If you and your partner have a child together, why are you not married? Can you prove that you are the father of the child? Also what are you doing in Thailand? How do you support yourself? Are you here and your activities here, legal under Thai law? What type of visa do you have?

Copy of her bank book showing 500,000 baht (stating she has had this amount for over 8 months)

Do you have proof of how these monies were obtained and how you and your partner accrued these amounts?

Name and address of friends we would have been staying with, along with photo showing them together with us when they visited Thailand last year.

Does this mean credit card? Or she is not Thai, or do you mean, her Thai ID card?

I have therefore refused your application because I am not satisfied, on the balan ce of probabilities,that you meet all of the requirements of the

she does not work,she and our child are supported by myself.

At the moment we are not married(i din't think this was a requrement to

obtain a 10 day visitors visa) we have been thru the Thai courts legally to register that I am the father.

income from legal uk investments,

have proof of where money came from legally.

is that good enough for you?

she does not work,she and our child are supported by myself.

At the moment we are not married(i din't think this was a requrement to

obtain a 10 day visitors visa) we have been thru the Thai courts legally to register that I am the father.

income from legal uk investments,

have proof of where money came from legally.

is that good enough for you?

It is irrelevant whether what you do or don`t do is satisfactory to me. It`s the UK Immigration authorities that you need to convince of your intentions, although I can see why the visa application failed, it`s as clear as daylight.

I have laid it all out in plain English for you in my previous post. So what parts of my replies don’t you understand?

Many of the above responses are pretty unhelpful. In my opinion you had a reasonable application, and the grounds for refusal are fairly weak. I am currently dealing with a couple of similar refusals. In one of those cases I have had the decision overturned. In the other, I have made written representations to the Visa section at the British Embassy, and I am waiting for their response. In those two cases the same ECO was involved. I am wondering if the ECO who refused your partner's application is the same one. If you would like to PM me the initials of the refusing ECO on the refusal form (GV51), I will let you know if it is the same ECO. Alternatively, it will be fairly easy to overcome those refusal reasons, but that means paying for another application !

Thank you. the persons initials as shown on the GV51 is MP.

I was under the impresion that that you cannot just simply submit another application, you have to appeal and that can take months.

Edited by Lite Beer
Quote Fixed

Many of the above responses are pretty unhelpful. In my opinion you had a reasonable application, and the grounds for refusal are fairly weak. I am currently dealing with a couple of similar refusals. In one of those cases I have had the decision overturned. In the other, I have made written representations to the Visa section at the British Embassy, and I am waiting for their response. In those two cases the same ECO was involved. I am wondering if the ECO who refused your partner's application is the same one. If you would like to PM me the initials of the refusing ECO on the refusal form (GV51), I will let you know if it is the same ECO. Alternatively, it will be fairly easy to overcome those refusal reasons, but that means paying for another application !

Thank you. the persons initials as shown on the GV51 is MP.

I was under the impresion that that you cannot just simply submit another application, you have to appeal and that can take months.

MP is not the same ECO. He has been around for a couple of years, and I am surprised that he has made a decision like this.

Did you submit a "Family Visit" application or a "General Visit" ? There is a right of appeal for family visit only. That appeal now requires a fee paid of 80 GBP or 140 GBP, and it will take time. General visit applications do not have a right of appeal, but if the ECO has made a poor decision, then a letter saying so should be looked at by the ECMs ( the managers). In either type of application you can submit a new application any time you want.

They've already told you the key thing they require and that you failed to provide - a supporting letter from you. How much more explicit can they be?

Agree with you. As far as the officer in charge of approving the application is concerned, it is possible that the lady made the application without the consent or even the knowledge of her partner.

They've already told you the key thing they require and that you failed to provide - a supporting letter from you. How much more explicit can they be?

Agree with you. As far as the officer in charge of approving the application is concerned, it is possible that the lady made the application without the consent or even the knowledge of her partner.

Fair point,we do know that these sort of scams occurr in Thailand, I did send a copy of my passport, my bank statement was up to date.

but then someone could always say she produced those copies without my authority. I think i did put on the application form my

contact details, so why not contact me.?

Re a supporting letter from me, again if this was a fraudulent application, it would not be the first time forgery was used to use somebodies signature here in Thailand

Pretty weak reasons for refusal.

What type of ECO doesn't know how to spell "absence" and "evidence"? (If the OP hasn't mis-spelt?wai.gif )

Contact the ECM and point out you included a photocopy of your passport with Thai visa stamp and add a short covering letter.

I don't know what some posters are on about when they say you have to "prove" how the funds were accrued...it's none of the ECO's business.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

What type of ECO doesn't know how to spell "absence" and "evidence"? (If the OP hasn't mis-spelt?wai.gif )

Contact the ECM and point out you included a photocopy of your passport with Thai visa stamp and add a short covering letter.

I don't know what some posters are on about when they say you have to "prove" how the funds were accrued...it's none of the ECO's business.

RAZZ

Of course it`s their business when having to make a decision who can and who cannot enter the United Kingdom, especially today with the increasing threats of terrorism, floods of economic refugees and criminals from third world countries. There are more than enough in Britain already. The same applies in Thailand, no one wants economic refugees or possible criminals entering the country and also has too many. The job of ECO holds a huge amount of responsibility. Do you truly believe that any foreigner outside of the EEC and especially from those that are renowned for abusing the Immigration process in the past should be admitted into Britain on some flimsy documentation or hearsay that they are genuine nice people?

Here is something that many UK visa applicants fail to understand.

The Thai girlfriend/partner or whatever she is, has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that her incentives to return to Thailand are greater than those to remain in the United Kingdom, for obvious reasons that I cannot be bothered explaining, but anyone with a few brain cells should understand.

When dealing with officialdoms you must play they’re games and ensure that everything is in order prior to submitting an application. It`s that simple.

Edited by Beetlejuice

RAZZ

Of course it`s their business when having to make a decision who can and who cannot enter the United Kingdom, especially today with the increasing threats of terrorism and floods of economic refugees from third world countries. There are more than enough in Britain already. The same applies in Thailand, no one wants economic refugees or possible criminals entering the country, but too already has too many. The job of ECO holds a huge amount of responsibility. Do you truly believe that any foreigner outside of the EEC should be admitted into Britain on some flimsy documentation or hearsay that they are genuine nice people?

The Thai girlfriend/partner or whatever she is, has to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that her incentives to return to Thailand are greater than those to remain in the United Kingdom, for obvious reasons that I cannot be bothered explaining, but anyone with a few brain cells should understand.

When dealing with officialdoms you must play they’re games and ensure that everything is in order prior to submitting an application. It`s that simple.

Yes, I do know a little about the visa process I had to apply for my then gf and now wife to come to the UK on a V/V and then fiance visa wink.png

If you can show me where in the Visa Guidance notes is says you have to prove where the funds come from I'd be enlightened.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/out-of-country/visitors.pdf

The OP showed adequate funds. That should be the end of.

RAZZ

RAZZ

Thank you for your constructive post.

The poster Visa Plus has kindly suggested that we re submit another application,if we have to

then so be it. although this will entail a two day trip to Bangkok with all the additional expences and then have to pay again for the application.

Any idea how we contact the ECM direct?

RAZZ

Of course it`s their business when having to make a decision who can and who cannot enter the United Kingdom, especially today with the increasing threats of terrorism, floods of economic refugees and criminals from third world countries. There are more than enough in Britain already. The same applies in Thailand, no one wants economic refugees or possible criminals entering the country and also has too many. The job of ECO holds a huge amount of responsibility. Do you truly believe that any foreigner outside of the EEC and especially from those that are renowned for abusing the Immigration process in the past should be admitted into Britain on some flimsy documentation or hearsay that they are genuine nice people?

She has a child to return to, not all Thai girls all willing to abanded thier children.

She owns land in Thailand.

What incentive can she have for staying in the U.K . Not all Thai dream about settling in another country.

WHAT is your problem, all the way thru this thread you seem to be jealous because we have substantial money in our accounts.

I earned my money the hard way, working legally.

RAZZ

Of course it`s their business when having to make a decision who can and who cannot enter the United Kingdom, especially today with the increasing threats of terrorism and floods of economic refugees from third world countries. There are more than enough in Britain already. The same applies in Thailand, no one wants economic refugees or possible criminals entering the country, but too already has too many. The job of ECO holds a huge amount of responsibility. Do you truly believe that any foreigner outside of the EEC should be admitted into Britain on some flimsy documentation or hearsay that they are genuine nice people?

Yes, I do know a little about the visa process I had to apply for my then gf and now wife to come to the UK on a V/V and then fiance visa wink.png

If you can show me where in the Visa Guidance notes is says you have to prove where the funds come from I'd be enlightened.

http://www.ukba.home...ry/visitors.pdf

The OP showed adequate funds. That should be the end of.

RAZZ

No poinjt in explaining.

The Thai woman failed her UK visa application, so you work out the reasons for yourself and describe to the OP why the application failed? Something that I would be extremely interested to read.

Simple...

The OP's gf failed in her application because in the "opinion" of the ECO she failed to meet the visa requirements.

For a V/V you have to demonstrate a "reason to return" (the OP showed proof of land and money in the bank?)

And adequate funds and accommodation (500k plus 11m? plus invite from friends)

Nowadays you don't even need to prove an "ongoing and subsisting" relationship.

So apart from the lack of a "sponsors letter" I don't see what the OP did wrong.

I would humbly suggest you stop trolling and provide some genuine help.

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL