Thai Residents Only

chiangmaiexpat

Reading ThaiVisa has enlightened me to what an absolute nightmare it must be to run a very serviced orientated business.

They started a pretty decent promotion and then they get attacked on the internet by the very people it was aimed at... WPFflags.gif

The levels of paranioa show by some people on this thread is unbeliveable, as regards the belief they are being ripped off at every turn...ie walking 10 paces behind the Mrs at the market, staying in the car etc etc....all very sad

• Like 1

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading ThaiVisa has enlightened me to what an absolute nightmare it must be to run a very serviced orientated business.

They started a pretty decent promotion and then they get attacked on the internet by the very people it was aimed at... WPFflags.gif

The levels of paranioa show by some people on this thread is unbeliveable, as regards the belief they are being ripped off at every turn...ie walking 10 paces behind the Mrs at the market, staying in the car etc etc....all very sad

Agreed...but letting the Mrs shop alone does save me money. Unfortunate, but true.

Agreed...but letting the Mrs shop alone does save me money. Unfortunate, but true.

I wouldn't call it paranoia I would call it first hand experience,that said I wouldn't walk ten paces behind the other half at the market I sit at home on the porch with a cold beer while she goes,much depends where you live in Thailand I learnt that when I moved up here in Phetchabun.

Being looked at like you are from a different planet becomes somewhat boring over time also.

With regards to the double pricing of hotels I've always once again got my other half to book often saving 200 baht a night,this was extra handy last year when my parents were over from the UK,I have no problem with it as I play the game their way.

Edited by stoneyboy

Much ado about nothing here. As pointed out, the OP's example was for Thai "residents" and the OP probably qualified. Remember that having a Thai driving license gets you 'resident status' at that old bugbear (for some) of double pricing and faux nationalism, entry to Thai National Parks.

Good examples with the 'European resident' qualification for the train pass. How about THAI's special low-cost domestic airfares that are only available to people arriving from a foreign destination and ultimately departing to a foreign destination? Does that rankle some? Not me.

The one airline-related discrimination I did get torqued about was on Continental, making an online round-trip booking on their US website for travel originating and ending in the US. Got a decent deal for around $990 and when I went to pay and entered my UK credit card, I was bounced to their UK ticketing site that had the exact same flights, dates and routes for £1390 which was easily double the US fare at the prevailing forex rates.

Remember that having a Thai driving license gets you 'resident status' at that old bugbear (for some) of double pricing and faux nationalism, entry to Thai National Parks.

Not true in my experience. Sometimes I've been offered a reduction on producing my driving licence (for example, 200 Baht, rather than 400 Baht - not the Thai rate). Other times I've still had to pay full price. Some people claim to have been able to pay the Thai price, but I suspect it's at a very limited range of parks (and unfortunately, not ones I've visited).

The fact that it wouldn't be acceptable among western nations has nothing whatever to do with Thailand. You're in Thailand not in the west. There are many things done in many countries around the world that wouldn't be acceptable in the west. If the OP finds it unacceptable Thailand is not short of alternative hotels.

Indeed.

There are lots of hotels that go the other way too... applying higher charge or outright refuse Thai citizens. This has been explained to me as based on their experience of Thais over-occupying the room by bringing the whole family to stay in a room meant for two guests, cooking in the room, etc. Makes sense to me.

• Like 1

There is a big difference between Thai nationals and Thai Residents....

As others have mentioned foreign nationals residing in Thailand still qualify as Thai residents, so no discrimination here...Anyone choosing to reside in Thailand would qualify regardless of age, race, religion, nationality or sex

Edited by CWMcMurray

Have experianced this many times in thailand,so now I sit in the car and let the wife book in first then I come in with the bags after.

Exactly where there there is a will there is a way. No need to get uptight about noythingcowboy.gif

Edited by mijan24

A good way to look at many things in Thailand is that Thai's are present tense people. They do not think in the future and I am not saying this in a negative way. It's the truth. This is why you see many thai's on motorcycles just turn onto a street without looking etc.

Same as when tourism is slow and Hotels have very few customers the will raise the price of the rooms thinking that they have to make the money up somehow with so few customers instead of thing that they should be lowering the prices in order to attract more customers.

That's why many food stalls, markets etc. try to charge more for a farang thinking it's better to take the extra 10 baht now instead of thinking you might possibly be a future customer if they don't cheat you.

They are not trying to be mean to us as many people here think. It is their upbringing from their school days and the fact that the Thai's do not uses future tense words of have future tense in their grammar. Only when they are being taught by farangs does "tenses" come into their grammar for the furst time.

• Like 2

Same as when tourism is slow and Hotels have very few customers the will raise the price of the rooms thinking that they have to make the money up somehow with so few customers instead of thing that they should be lowering the prices in order to attract more customers.

Strange then isn't it that almost every hotel you see on Agoda has a low season price which is lower than the high season price.....as well as many having good promotions which actually make it CHEAPER to stay during low season or mid week. Also, if you knew about hotels then you would know that a hotel can't just change their room rates as they wish and that they should never discount room rates too much (if at all) below their standard rates when they are going through an unusually quite year or two.

Strange then isn't it that almost every hotel you see on Agoda has a low season price which is lower than the high season price.....as well as many having good promotions which actually make it CHEAPER to stay during low season or mid week. Also, if you knew about hotels then you would know that a hotel can't just change their room rates as they wish and that they should never discount room rates too much (if at all) below their standard rates when they are going through an unusually quite year or two.

If you knew anything about Hotels in Thailand you would know that they can do anything they want at any time they want. This is not America you know.

Also if you have ever spent time in Thailand you would know what I'm talking about. For example I wasn't referring to seasonal prices. I was talking about when the travel warning go out for Thailand or when the Tsunami hit, when the red shirts were rallying you could go anywhere down town and see that they had raised the price instead of lowering it.

BTW: I don't use agoda or kayak etc as I live here. When you book on any of these travel sites you will almost 100% find out that the pictures and rates you see are NOTHING like what you get when you finally get to your Hotel.

Edited by Gone

If you knew anything about Hotels in Thailand you would know that they can do anything they want at any time they want. This is not America you know.

Also if you have ever spent time in Thailand you would know what I'm talking about. For example I wasn't referring to seasonal prices. I was talking about when the travel warning go out for Thailand or when the Tsunami hit, when the red shirts were rallying you could go anywhere down town and see that they had raised the price instead of lowering it.

BTW: I don't use agoda or kayak etc as I live here. When you book on any of these travel sites you will almost 100% find out that the pictures and rates you see are NOTHING like what you get when you finally get to your Hotel.

Yep, Gone. Keep digging mate.

Thai has tenses. They are structured much more simply than in say, English, but I don't know how you draw a comparison between language, grammar and business planning.

As for hotels not lowering their prices during low season. Again, in the parallel universe of planet 'Gone' they may do, but the low season last year, I was getting 50% off at well known establishments in the centre of BKK, generally with room upgrade and breakfast thrown in.

I am not talking about what they can "legally" do....

Haha, completely clueless.....

All of what you are saying is re hashed rubbish that you see a few posters on here spouting off now and again. I have never seen or heard of a hotel doing this. There might be the odd extremely low end place trying it on but certainly not anywhere even slightly decent.

rates you see are NOTHING like what you get when you finally get to your Hotel.

You are right, the rates on Agoda are 99% of the time cheaper than if you book with the hotel direct.

You obviously know nothing about how the industry works. Travel agents online or not WILL NOT allow a hotel to undercut them, if they do the hotel will be removed from the site/catalogue. Very few booking are made with the hotels direct so a hotel WILL NOT risk upsetting the agents by undercutting them.

Edited by madjbs

Different prices happen everywhere....and for good business reasons. Check this out:

http://www.silversurfertoday.co.uk/News/Story/?storyid=3508&title=Disneyland_Paris_%E2%80%98overcharging%E2%80%99_Brits&type=news_features

Disneyland Paris ‘overcharging’ Brits

Monday 13th February 2012

Disneyland Paris has been accused of charging British holidaymakers 62 per cent more for theme park tickets than French citizens.

Today’s Daily Mail reports that special offers on the theme park’s French language website are not available on the English language version – or even to those trying to use the French site with a British credit card.

I know when I book return tickets originating here versus originating back home, the prices are higher. By quite a bit. Same dates, same airlines, same routes.

• Like 1

Massive confusion here between local charges and THAI ONLY. Nowhere in a developed world will you see English Only, French Only... Locals yes..sure, why not give special pricing. Until a few years ago, locals would not be welcome in their local hotels back in the UK.

Have you been to Japan?

I booked and paid via agoda many times and never been shafted. I show up with my receipt from agoda where it will also say if breakfast is incl or not. So they really can't shaft you.

What I normal do before booked the hotel, I have found the hotel via goggle search, called them and 2 times got a lower or same rate.

Yes a Thai driver license will normal be enough to qualify as Thai resident, gone to many parks/attractions and got in to Thai price all over Thailand.

Edited by guzzi850m2

So most of the preceding dicussion was off the mark. This is not a "Thai only" room; it's "Thai resident" only room which includes most of you who are not on tourist visa. This is a legitimate marketing strategy to increase bookings in the off-season by drawing local sales without decimating profits from the tourists. In fact, this is exactly what Disney does, and for the same reason. It happens only in the off-season, which I am well aware as a long-time SoCal resident. And no, Disney is not government subsidized.

I am not talking about what they can "legally" do....

Haha, completely clueless.....

All of what you are saying is re hashed rubbish that you see a few posters on here spouting off now and again. I have never seen or heard of a hotel doing this. There might be the odd extremely low end place trying it on but certainly not anywhere even slightly decent.

rates you see are NOTHING like what you get when you finally get to your Hotel.

You are right, the rates on Agoda are 99% of the time cheaper than if you book with the hotel direct.

You obviously know nothing about how the industry works. Travel agents online or not WILL NOT allow a hotel to undercut them, if they do the hotel will be removed from the site/catalogue. Very few booking are made with the hotels direct so a hotel WILL NOT risk upsetting the agents by undercutting them.

not sure about thai hotel bookings but in the usa more people book direct with the hotel than via an online or gds travel agent....and my guess is with a zillion little guest house type hotels in thailand that most thai hotel bookings are also done direct with the hotel..

during Q2, 2011, travelers booked more hotel rooms directly through a hotel‟s website or by calling a specific property rather than booking through global distribution systems (GDS), online travel agent (OTA) or 1-800 numbers

• Like 1

I think that the OP and those responding have taken this statement out of context. The OP noted that it said "Thai Residents Only", but not "Thai Nationals Only". This is something which we come across regularly in golf.

For example, Wangjuntra Golf Club (down the Eastern Seaboard) gives special rates to all Thai Residents. That means that farangs have to show a working permit or a residence visa of some sort (retirement extension, marriage, etc.) then they are able to get the discount.

Arguably, the reason for this is that those who are travelling on holiday usually get package deals which pay the hotels/resorts/golf clubs higher rates, so they are not prepared to give the same people the rate that they give to those who are residing here. That does not mean that they are discriminating in favour of Thais.

If the statement read: "Thai Nationals Only", then my opinion would be substantially different.

• Like 1

I agree, if it says for Thai Nationals only why don't you just find another Hotel.

Thailand is just that, Thailand and they can even refuse any nationality or person from entering bars, restaurants etc. too.

Advertisement says "Thai Residents Only" not Thai Citizens Only. Lots of places run special rates for local residents and this is no different, Besides the price deosn't seen to be that much lower (USD10 / night) than the non-resident deal.

• Like 1

It may be that the Thai rooms are equipped with Thai toilets thus, Thai residents only.

If by Thai toilets you mean squat toilets, then all to the good. Squat toilets are the most healthy both in terms of your body and of hygiene.

1) Your body: squatting to defecate is the natural position and the position which allows the easiest passing of stool.

2) Hygiene: when using squat toilets, your body does not touch any part of the toilet, which means superior protection from infections.

In short, you should welcome squat toilets for public use. They are superior.

Email the resort and ask them for an explanation. If it`s discriminatory make it public knowledge. This wouldn`t be acceptable among western nations so there is no reason why a Thai outfit should think it`s okay.

So, because we wouldn't do it in the West...once again we should expect the same from the Thais in their own country? And you are wrong, as one other poster said about Hawaii - which is correct, when I lived in Hawaii we had local rates for residents and rates for tourists.

Not a surprise. They do the same thing here in Hawaii. They call it a "kamaaina rate." All you need is to have a Hawaii driver's license and you can get hotel rooms, meals, etc. discounted. You can land here, go to the DMV, get a Hawaii license, and you are automatically a "local" or "resident," though I still use such words with extreme reservation.

CMX, it's life, deal with it. The amount of time you've wasted on this could be better spent.......(fill in the blank)

You've apparently learned very little in your time here in Thailand. I suspect you hang out with too many farangs. But in either case, let it go. Life goes on. There are many more important things to 'worry' about. If there was an epidemic of this kind of behavior, well then there might be cause for concern. But 1 hotel, and you didn't even follow-up to see what "Thai residents only" means, come on now son.

Seeing the bigoted trolls (and I do not mean you CMX) in forums like this, the loud mouth drunken tourists, obnoxious/rude/argumentative expats, the nickle and diming backpackers, etc. etc. around Thailand, it surprises me that there aren't MORE hotels like this. What does "Thai residents only" mean to me? It means the place will be relatively quiet, there won't be drunken people wandering around, there won't be shouting matches, there won't be sex tourists and bar girls, there won't be people thinking they are getting screwed because they're not Thai when they aren't getting screwed, there won't be people stumbling in at 4 a.m. making a rucus, there won't be people arguing with the front desk, etc. etc. Why shouldn't they provide this service for the person who wants nothing more than to NOT see farang. I can assure you that I would certainly be in the market for such accomodations, even though I am a farang. Nothing would please me more than to go to a place that states "Thai residents only" as I know that I would most certainly be welcomed because I've adjusted my behavior to fit in more smoothly with Thai culture as opposed to what most do, NOTHING.

And for those of you talking about "Thai prices", I'm sorry, you still have a lot to learn about business in Thailand. I could say more, but I'll leave it at that. Please be sure though that what you mean by "Thai prices" is extremely misguided.

• Like 1

2) Hygiene: when using squat toilets, your body does not touch any part of the toilet, which means superior protection from infections.

In short, you should welcome squat toilets for public use. They are superior.

apart from when you have rather loose number 2's and it all splashes up on the backs of your legs and bum of course

Personally think you are talking out your bum, squat toilets are not superior.....give a me a real toilet any day, one that you can relax on, peruse the local newspaper....cant do that on a squat

You want to go native up to you.... I did enough squatting behind bushes during my army days.

for all the complaints about thailand having local rates i suspect that more countries than not do the same...how about bars where ladies get free drinks and admission and men pay through the nose?..i don't know but i would guess almost every country has some deals like that discriminating against or for one group or another...

Um no, that is not my experience. I have never seen this in Europe, and I suspect that any hotel offering rooms exclusively to its nationals would be frowned upon. And of course, locals != nationals. While it's okay to provide benefits to the local community who has to bear the consequences of tourism, discrimination on account of ethnicity or nationality is certainly not the same.

Cheers, CMX

Double pricing is in Austria very common....local rate and rip off the Germans (but also Russian, Japanese, etc etc) rate. It is even mentioned in a Pop song from Falco.