Marriage Process - Start To Finish

Ritti

I am sure this has been asked many times.

How long is the whole process for an Australian?

I know:

Stat Dec from Embassy:

Translation:

Thai Gov't Approvaled:

Marriage certifivcat at local centre:

I have heard you can do it all in 1 day, 2 days or it takes a week?

I am rarley in Thailand on week days this is why I am asking.

Has someonbe recently done this and if so any tips.

Thank you

It depends on your embassy. I did it in one day, but suspect in many cases it will take two days.

After getting the embassy letter you go to a translation agency, they can do the legalisation of the documents at the Thai foreign Office for you and even send it to you or your wife to be.

You can marry at any amphur in Thailand.

As said all of the above but it does not have to be done in one go. One day would be very tight and at many Embassies impossiable. But if they issue immediately a service may be able to arrange translation and marriage while awaiting final MFA approval from some reports - but if doing yourself or normal service next day or later would be more likely.

• 2 weeks later...

You cannot marry at any amphur if you are farnag. I know I tried 5 different amphurs before I went to bangrak. IT is 1 of a few in the tourist areas that will marry farang. The suburban amphurs will not do it

You cannot marry at any amphur if you are farnag. I know I tried 5 different amphurs before I went to bangrak. IT is 1 of a few in the tourist areas that will marry farang. The suburban amphurs will not do it

This is actually incorrect. I married at my local suburban amphur 5 years ago with no problems. There may be a slight delay with paperwork but it is definatley allowed.

It is actually true, we went to 5 different amphurs on the same morning in phrapradaeng and samut prakan and was refused in all, then we went to bangrak and it was done

I doubt it was denied because you were foreigner, more likely because there wasn't a translator availeble or witnesses.

You can marry at any amphur, but at smaller ones who have not married a foreigner before or where nobody speaks English there will be some practical problems.

Were you both foreigners? In that case suspect many offices would never have done and not want to get involved in something that could involve a mistake on there part. But for marriage to a Thai it is normally not a problem if you have the required paperwork and two witness and a neutral Thai to translate the paper you must sign.

No, the law is the same in every Thai province and you can just get married at any amphur you like.

The US is a different story, as it is a country made up out of a fedaration of states. The states have signed over several responsibilities over to the federal state, but in many areas (such as regarding marriages) they remain sovereign and have their own state law.

Thailand is only one state, so there is only one law.

• Like 1